+ Reply to Thread

Can't display The American Flag?

Would you live in an apartment complex where, you couldn't display the American flag? Well that's exactly what some moronic apartment managers in Albany, Oregon are doing. If this doesn't get your red American blood boiling I don't know what will.
    Apartment residents told to take down U.S. flags | KATU.com - News, Weather and Sports - Portland, Oregon | Local & Regional
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Blog Entries
    Albany is on the other side of the hill from me and there's a reason I rarely go over there. To give you an idea of that side of the hill, they consider Bend (pop. ~80K) as rural and call us hicks.

And you guys though Berkeley was liberal.

Harder

This sort of thing has been going on forever. I say if you dont like where I fly my flag, dont live in my country - but then I didn't sign any HOA saying I wouldnt/couldnt.

What’s Next? American Flag Edition » The Foundry
    * Posted May 30th, 2009 at 8.24am in Ongoing Priorities.

Earlier this week, Debbie McLucas, a supervisor at Kindred Hospital in Mansfield, Texas, was told she would have to take down a 3×5 American flag that she had hung near her desk in an office she shares with three other supervisors. Her boss told her a fellow supervisor, who had immigrated to the United States from Africa 14 years earlier, found it “offensive.”
    Bank of America Draws Fire for Pulling U.S. Flags From Property - Political News - FOXNews.com
    Bank of America Draws Fire for Pulling U.S. Flags From Property
    When a South Carolina woman tried to honor her next door neighbor, a Marine who was recently in Afghanistan, by planting flags along the route the casket would follow, a Bank of America branch manager pulled the flags from the bank's property, citing "corporate policy."
    And one story that really makes my blood boil: Sound Off: Homeowner's Association tells vet to move American flag - KXLY.com: News, Weather and Sports for Spokane, WA and Coeur d'Alene, ID |
    Sound Off: Homeowner's Association tells vet to move American flag
    Posted: Apr 22, 2009 5:55 PM EDT Updated: May 05, 2009 6:58 PM EDT

A four-year Army veteran in Arizona is being told she can't fly the American flag in front of her home. The Homeowner's Association says the flag hurts the aesthetic look of the neighborhood. They say she can fly it in the backyard, or not at all.
    For the record, it is ILLEGAL to prevent someone displaying the flag on their private property unless you have signed the right away:
    H.R. 42 [109th]: Freedom to Display the American Flag Act of 2005 (GovTrack.us)
    H.R. 42: 109th Congress
    To ensure that the right of an individual to display the flag of the United States on residential property not be abridged.
    This bill became law. It was signed by George Bush.
    Last Action: Jul 24, 2006: Became Public Law No: 109-243.
    That doesn't mean you are legally protected if you want to fly the flag BECAUSE:
    Inside Justice - International Law Blog - - Flying the U.S. Flag: Freedom of Speech and Private Contracts
    Section 4 eviscerates the spirit and impact of their speeches. The bill does not "guarantee" every homeowner a fundamental right to "display the American flag wherever they live."

These are only the most recent cases, there are many, many more where some HOA, or person is "offended" by the flying of Old Glory. And if I had my druthers, I would make it so it was illegal to prevent anyone from flying our flag.
    Last edited by no1_vern; October 14th, 2009 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

so it's just me, i hate flags too, never found out why people want to show of how much of a patriot they are

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    But does it bother you enough when others do it that it makes you complain creatures?

I'm not a huge fan of flags but they come in handy for suffocating barking dogs. That's something all apartment dwellers can get behind.

Quote Originally Posted by no1_vern View Post
    For the record, it is ILLEGAL to prevent someone displaying the flag on their private property unless you have signed the right away:
    BINGO. A big key here is what YOU agree too when you move into a state/city/neighborhood/apartment.

The same rules that prevent flag flying also protect us having Winnebagos parked in every driveway or your neighbors parking 17 undrivable cars in front of their house ot apartment.
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Blog Entries
    Steve:

Yuck. I know HOA's exist and they may have a place but I would never, never, never want to live under one of those little dictatorships.

Cities "dictate" the size/placement etc of signs that businesses use which I consder a good thing. Can you imagine a 2500 foot tall Golden Arches from micky d's glowing in the night and seen through your bedroom window.

My City has nailed me two years in a row about my 20 foot bushes over hanging too much in the alley way. First year it pissed me off. Second year they nailed me before I did my spring trimming. It won't happen a third year cause I'm playing the game. AND more importantly, same thing applies to the neighbors behind me and I don't have to worry about an ugly view in back.
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Blog Entries
    some nice zoning laws and poof you can keep thing from getting insane. anyone who I have know who is governed by an HOA... Hates it in the end. I guess it is a love hate relationship though usually. Because once polluted by the HOA concept you then start looking at your neighbors property as and extension of yours and you start bitching about them.

Bleche icky poo!

I never forget my brothers first home in Flordia...Pool in the back yard and the ocean a few feet the other side of the pool...No can park boat in driveway in front of house.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I take that to mean if you're Renting an apartment and NOT a member of an association-> You're SOL.

Hey GZ3, I linked to that in my post. The problem is with Section 4 which removes pretty much everything given in the main section of the Act.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Blog Entries
    A signed HOA does not trump the first amendment. Flying a flag on your property is symbolic free speech.
    Get off of my roof!

Quote Originally Posted by tony_j15 View Post
    A signed HOA does not trump the first amendment. Flying a flag on your property is symbolic free speech.
    Is that like the free speech we don't have on a web site like TechIMO that is owned by a private individual who added his own rules?

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tony_j15 View Post
    It does as long as people are willing to go along with it. How many people have the means and the time to sue the HOA?

Blog Entries
    Is that like the free speech we don't have on a web site like TechIMO that is owned by a private individual who added his own rules?
    I kind of see the correlation, but it's different. There are still very few (comparatively) law cases to look back on regarding internet sites and free speech. It's an ongoing process. Is a website more like a place of business or a private residence?

How many people have the means and the time to sue the HOA?
    If you're rich enough to live in an area governed by an HOA...

Actually, you don't sue. You fly the flag, disregard any motion filed against you, then counter-sue. Now the court of public opinion is on your side. Oh, and the ACLU most likely as well.
    Get off of my roof!

Wellllll....... I guess that if pres. Bush made a law the it must B wrong,LOL the liberals cant even do thier own reserch!!! if MY flag offends them that much they offend me so off yourself,, rules of not offending anyone,no joke go off yourself

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information