+ Reply to Thread
    Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries

U.S. Senators Ask Apple to Remove DUI Checkpoint Apps From App Store

Senator Charles E. Schumer

U.S. Senator Charles E. Schumer today called on Apple, Android, Blackberry and other smartphone and tablet computer makers to immediately stop selling applications that help drunk drivers evade police and put innocent New Yorkers at risk on our roads
    Going after the important issues that are affect the country today! Left, Right, Blue, Tall it doesnt matter our Senators have way more important things to focus on.

hmmm. How many of your family members would have to die from drunk drivers to change your mind on this

If we can't get people to not drink in drive do we really be helping them to not get caught.

On the other hand, I would not have known "there's a app for that" if it wasn't for this thread

I did see a fee app yesterday called "help me find my car" that yesterday I thought was cute. Now I'm not so sure.
    "Life is unpredictable, eat dessert first."

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Drunks have a hard enough time driving their cars around I think the last thing they are bothering with is using the app.

I've used the Trapster application several times when I was driving to MD for drill (radar detectors are illegal in VA) The downside to these applications is that if someone doesn't report a speed trap it wont notify others using the application. I eventually stopped using it because it just ended up killing my battery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    Drunks have a hard enough time driving their cars around I think the last thing they are bothering with is using the app.

I've used the Trapster application several times when I was driving to MD for drill (radar detectors are illegal in VA) The downside to these applications is that if someone doesn't report a speed trap it wont notify others using the application. I eventually stopped using it because it just ended up killing my battery.
    speed trap app, I like it.

but of course it requires serious participation of other people to really work good.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    Going after the important issues that are affect the country today! Left, Right, Blue, Tall it doesnt matter our Senators have way more important things to focus on.
    1) Depends upon who you ask as to whether it's important. My cousin's wife lost her father to a drunk driver. She thinks this is important.

2) It's also a matter of effort vs. results. It only takes a letter to Apple, Verizon, etc. and a news conference to ask to have these apps removed. It's not really crippling legislation or initiatives.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Although I don't agree with the app, on what grounds are they going to make it illegal?

DUI checkpoints are published in the local newspaper here in Sacramento. Had something to do with making the law more "legal".

The only problem I have with the checkpoints is they don't check for warrants, legal status, etc., along with sobriety.

May as well do it all.
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Although I don't agree with the app, on what grounds are they going to make it illegal?
    He's asking the companies to voluntarily remove the apps.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Ultimate Member
    No self respecting drunk would own anything that costs enough money to run that app! Cuts into the alcohol supply funding!

So..your worries are for naught. Good point,GZ.
    "life is short..don't be a dick"
    Phyllis Diller

you don't have to be a drunk to be drunk. I know a lot of people who own more than just a simple iPhone and are pretty often over the allowed limit to drive (although they are intelligent enough not to drive while under the influence)

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Do don't have to be intoxicated to get a DUI, all the officer has to do is suspect you are "impaired" and you are taken to jail, even though the DA won't press charges and you are therefore released in the morning to walk to get your car out of impound.

Happened to one of my son's girlfriends. Blood test was a .01, and no other intoxicants were found according to her. The cop said she was "impaired" and that was that.

Probably got smart mouthed with him.
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information