+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO

Steve Jobs Resigns as Apple CEO - Bloomberg

People like him are a "national treasure". I hope he makes it.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

I was thinking he's given up on any real recovery and that's why the resignation today.
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Sad

Very sad. One of the few true innovators of our age is leaving the stage.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Blog Entries
    From the Digital Cuttlefish:
    All around, you can hear quiet sobs
    From the well-to-do corporate mobs
    As the good folks at Apple
    Are having to grapple
    With the fact that they’ve just lost their Jobs
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

Supporting our military Bill in SD, CA's Avatar
    If it is the cancer (hope not) he's getting the best treatment available on the planet.

Bill
    The final legacy of the United States will be that in the end liberalism shamed & destroyed the heritage of this great nation. How sad as I see no turning back. When in Rome ..

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Jobs is a micromanaging, egotistical asshole.

And thank god for that! He's given the tech industry a shot in the arm that the thinly spread blobs of corporations that pass as tech companies (IBM, Microsoft, HP, Dell) could never hope to be. All the real big innovations of the last ten years are a result of Jobs pushing to make things happen.
    All 1.21 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_j15 View Post
    Jobs is a micromanaging, egotistical asshole.

And thank god for that! He's given the tech industry a shot in the arm that the thinly spread blobs of corporations that pass as tech companies (IBM, Microsoft, HP, Dell) could never hope to be. All the real big innovations of the last ten years are a result of Jobs pushing to make things happen.
    careful tony, just because apple created the first (designer) touch screen phone or classy mp3 player doesn't mean they invented the technology nor invented the idea of it.

IBM, Microsoft, Intel and many others have VERY broad research and development range in contrast to apple. They create far more stuff than the average joe knows of but still uses without their knowledge. Back end stuff is usually more expensive to research than all the flashy front end products you can buy at your local shop.

the iPhone is NOT an invention of apple, the technology was there and there were already products on the market with the same capability (some palm phones even had the capability to install own software)

Apple brought us systems that are pre censored (even worse than windows) and worst of all the mindset that easier is better. Additionally Banning Adobe Flash and Java from their phones knowing exactly that they would lose money if they would allow it and then make cheap excuses that it's unstable...

lets just hope that HTML5 can finally kill the app mania and return the power to the developers and not to the market place owner.

and who needs an iPad? I couldn't figure out what I could possibly use it for, I'm really baffled how so many people want one even though it's nothing more than maybe an ebook/youtube viewing tool and that's it.

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Quote Originally Posted by Bill in SD, CA View Post
    If it is the cancer (hope not) he's getting the best treatment available on the planet.

Bill
    He came for treatment to our local University Hospital as it has one of the world leading neuroendocrine cancer treatment, you could always tell when he arrived, because other than most patients he arrived with a private helicopter ;p (so far we haven't spotted that helicopter again)

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

Most likely, he's going home to die.

Something will kill us all in the end and when you are called, you can't send someone else. You must present yourself in person.

It's too early for him, IMO, but few get to pick both the time and the place.

Quote Originally Posted by S.J.
    No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; August 25th, 2011 at 11:47 PM.

They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

I don't get it...
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatures View Post

Apple brought us systems that are pre censored (even worse than windows) and worst of all the mindset that easier is better. Additionally Banning Adobe Flash and Java from their phones knowing exactly that they would lose money if they would allow it and then make cheap excuses that it's unstable...

Creatures
    Care to explain your precensored claim? What exactly is being censored?

As for your Adobe Flash, there has been good reason for it. Have you been watching all the vulnerabilities that have attack flash? We would have to be updating our phones all the time because adobe hasn't made the application into a fully sandbox application. Iphone/ipads dont have to worry about that stuff like android users do.

Ill link one of many articles that shows this:

Android smartphones vulnerable to flash player attacks- The Inquirer

As for flash websites, I own the iPad and use it on a daily basis and there are only one or two sites I wasnt able to view in the ipad because it doesn't support flash. I totally didnt lose sleep over that. So less patching = happy users and one less thing apple has to worry about

I should be the person responsible what I do with my phone NOT the company I bought it from. I don't care if there are stupid people out there getting every single virus in the book, I want to run the software I want on my cellphone.

I can not deploy a download app button on my website directly linking to the software, no why should I that would take apple out of the loop...

and exactly those things are what I meant with closed and censored, I can not publish without going through apple, I can not even publish a free software without paying a fee... (and considering that they don't have to accept your program this might be a wasted investment, not even going to mention the wasted programming time that could have been invested otherwise)

I don't know about you but limiting the potential by calling it "safer" is IMO a joke and oriented at one thing: making money.

sure they may be capitalists but I sure don't have to support a closed system they invented and now everyone tries to copy. it's a shame that a company that once tried to have the moral high ground against Microsoft sunk lower than they have.

Creatures

Blog Entries
    Meh you are entitled with your opinion but a lot of people dont seem to care that it doesn't have flash and people are still buying the phone. Again what exactly are you missing flash wise? Embedded videos that you can easily find on youtube.

If Adobe was to incorporate a sandbox environment where the flash files stay within the application and not infect the entire system im sure apple would reconsider. User's dont want to spend every other week updating their OS on their phone because of another flash vulnerability. Especially when Apple hasnt released the ability to do over the air updates (which is coming out in iOS 5)

And Creatures adobe flash exploits are being embedded in excel sheets (and other office products) that look legit. Corporates are now implementing these phones as they move away from blackberries. This is only last thing anyone has to worry about when it comes to Iphones.

Im not trying to turn this into a Android vs Apple thread I think Android is great but stuff like this:

Android-targeted malware jumps 76% in Q2, McAfee says

Google remotely removes Droid Dream infection from Droid phones « Russ' space

If google can do this with out any issues, no thanks! My point is this websites are moving to HTML5 and away from flash and other things which means its kind of moot point to bitch around flash. And worse case you can easily jailbreak the iphone to get the flash player.

I know that GZ, even PDF is a huge security leak but still everyone uses it.

HTML5 is the new flash that's why I said earlier lets hope it will break the app stores apart, apps written in HTML5 can be opened with a simple browser and allows us to introduce non apple approved products to the iphone (and even portable ones that work with windows phones and desktops)

Java has such an environment but apple refuses first to allow interpreted code into their phones (javascript wasn't allowed as well!) but there is still no legal way to get Java working on an iPhone even though some have proven that Java is indeed faster than their own language objective-C (most horrible language I've seen btw)

BTW a famous jobs quote: "Java's not worth building in. Nobody uses Java anymore. It's this big heavyweight ball and chain." <- yeah right...

google on the other hand isn't stupid, employed a Sun virtual machine programmer to create their own virtual machine, port most of java over to android and use it. although I don't approve of this, they at least saw the potential

just because something looks outdated to you doesn't mean it's not used or could be used again to bring private developer to the iPhone without paying apple for using their store.

Creatures

That company is worth 350 Billion. Jobs built it with an initial investment of around 150 million.

Creatures, if you aren't happy there are lots of other phone vendors out there.

I'll stay with my Razr.

Blog Entries
    careful tony, just because apple created the first (designer) touch screen phone or classy mp3 player doesn't mean they invented the technology nor invented the idea of it.
    Yeah...and? The Wright's might have invented the airplane, but I'd rather cruise in a Boeing. It's not about who does it first. It's about who does it best. Apple has done a great job of taking ideas and tooling them down to have the maximum value to the average consumer.

IBM, Microsoft, Intel and many others have VERY broad research and development range in contrast to apple. They create far more stuff than the average joe knows of but still uses without their knowledge. Back end stuff is usually more expensive to research than all the flashy front end products you can buy at your local shop.
    Granted. I should have prefaced my comment: I'm talking about "retail" end-user technology for the average customer. Most other companies simply don't care/have a deep enough talent pool or do a half-assed job when it comes to combining their hardware and software.

the iPhone is NOT an invention of apple, the technology was there and there were already products on the market with the same capability (some palm phones even had the capability to install own software)
    See my first comment. And technically, yes they did invent the iPhone. That's why the tech, software, hardware, name, design, look, and feel are all patented.

No one said you have to use their systems, so why are you whining? It's their business model, they can do as they please, and it's worked.

lets just hope that HTML5 can finally kill the app mania and return the power to the developers and not to the market place owner.
    I thought we were talking about Jobs? How did this devolve into a complaint session about how you dislike iOS devices? Would you care to discuss his involvement in Pixar? That would be more relevant.

and who needs an iPad? I couldn't figure out what I could possibly use it for, I'm really baffled how so many people want one even though it's nothing more than maybe an ebook/youtube viewing tool and that's it.
    Who needs a smartphone? Who needs a computer, anyways? Enough with the luddite arguments!
    They've pushed 29 million of 'em and created a market that didn't exist before. If that's not genius I don't know what is. Because, as much as I dislike Apple for being overpriced and somewhat low on the "freedom factor," their stuff works, it sells, and it's enjoyable to use.
    All 1.21 of them.

Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Creatures View Post

Creatures
    Innovation is not invention. Just because the tech existed, it took someone with a concerted vision to make it really mean something. Like it not, Steve Jobs has been likely the single most influential figure in the development of personal computing for the last 30 years. Apple made the graphic interface and the mouse commonplace. Apple showed that computers need to not only be well designed in the inside, but on the outside too. Apple killed physical media in regards to music, and video I doubt is far behind. And who doesn't like Toy Story?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

Blog Entries
    Have we forgotten already that Jobs virtually invented the personal computer, with the introduction of the Apple II, when he was barely 21? That a few years later he saved Apple from near-disaster by creating the Macintosh — the first machine with a mouse and windows, and all the other features we associate with modern computing? That the NeXT operating system was critical to the next generation of Macintosh computers after Jobs returned from a 12-year exile in 1997? And, yes, then came the iPod, the iPhone and iPad — all of them so elegant in their look and feel that they became more than devices. They were objects of lust.
    Joe Nocera, for the NYT
    All 1.21 of them.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information