+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 33 of 33
  1. #21
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    12,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Initially? They are still crying with no cause to this day! "We're upset because... well ...we're upset and have no alternative solution.

    Reality bites, whining Liberal-arts babies. No one is entitled to a degree.
    Not from what I saw on the 11PM news. The protester interviewed clearly said that, "it's not that we are against corporations or capitalism but we are for fairness. Corporations have tilted the power balance so that they privatize profits and socialize losses -- then demand tax breaks."
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

  2. #22
    Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    What is really going on is the DNC has found a new "enemy". They've beat the "It's Bush's fault" horse to death, now they need another target. After all, Obama agrees with them, and so do the public and private unions, George Soros, Moveon.org, La Raza, etc, etc. The usual cast of Democrat players.

    As far as manpower, the young people are victims of democrats. Huge student loans - easy credit and sky high prices. No jobs - Obama has fumbled the economy. Real estate meltdown - Relaxing credit rules (ie having a heart) and letting people buy what they cannot afford, and Barny Frank and Chris Dodd.

    And finally, "What do you mean, no money for me?" As the economy sinks, the well is running dry, and a whole generation of young people who have had their asses kissed all their lives about them being the future, etc., are now going to have to suck it up and get jobs. Jobs that probably won't pay for the degree in "Underwater Basket Weaving" they paid $ 100K for.

    And, BTW, when Obama and the federal government took over student loans, did he mention they cannot be included in a bankruptcy.

    Children of the book, you are screwed for life! I'd be pissed too! But why Wall Street?
    Wow, got a lot of stuff in there, with very little coherence or evidence. So student loans and bankruptcy, where'd you hear that one. If you'd been paying attention, you'd know that bush passed the bankruptcy reform law years ago, and that's what took student loans off the table. Obamas student aid bill established the income based repayment standard, which allows that borrowers can pay what they can afford, instead of having the fixed and un-negotiable rates that were common before. The reform also reduced student loan interest rates by half, and removed subsidies for private banks giving student loans.
    Young people are the victims of democrats, that's patently absorb. As already pointed out, your comment about stduent loans was just wrong, and your argument completely avoids the point that it's been the republican policies for the last 30 years that have widened income disparity, lowered taxes on the wealthy, stagnated middle class incomes for a generation, and vastly reduced the funding for public universities.
    (on an iPad, sorry for any typos).
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

  3. #23
    Ultimate Member Chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    North Mexico
    Posts
    17,137
    When Obama too office he federalized the student loan program. The was an effort to remove the bankruptcy provision, but with his control of the house and senate, he ignored his chance to forever live in the hearts of dead beats.

    And while blaming Bush, I guess you are right. We need another 4 years of Obamanomics. Have you noticed since Obama has taken office nothing has gotten better?

    Every dollar of tax money originates in the private sector. Kill that and you kill everything. Obama knows that, and he doesn't care if he kills it or not.

    Buy the way, what do these boneheads want?
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; October 9th, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
    Government is a disease pretending to be a cure!

  4. #24
    Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    When Obama too office he federalized the student loan program. The was an effort to remove the bankruptcy provision, but with his control of the house and senate, he ignored his chance to forever live in the hearts of dead beats.

    And while blaming Bush, I guess you are right. We need another 4 years of Obamanomics. Have you noticed since Obama has taken office nothing has gotten better?

    Every dollar of tax money originates in the private sector. Kill that and you kill everything. Obama knows that, and he doesn't care if he kills it or not.

    Buy the way, what do these boneheads want?
    On a computer now, so I'll make the reference. The notion that Obama federalizing students loans made it so that said loans could not be discharged in bankruptcy is completely false. No truth, whatsoever. The Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention act of 2005 limited the types of student loans that could be discharged through bankruptcy, not the 2009 bill signed by Obama. What you are claiming is simply not true.
    Last edited by thephilosophizer; October 9th, 2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

  5. #25
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    12,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    When Obama too office he federalized the student loan program. The was an effort to remove the bankruptcy provision, but with his control of the house and senate, he ignored his chance to forever live in the hearts of dead beats.

    And while blaming Bush, I guess you are right. We need another 4 years of Obamanomics. Have you noticed since Obama has taken office nothing has gotten better?

    Every dollar of tax money originates in the private sector. Kill that and you kill everything. Obama knows that, and he doesn't care if he kills it or not.

    Buy the way, what do these boneheads want?
    The student loan program used to be that the banks lent the money, at a profit, and if the student defaulted, the federal government would guarantee the loan. That's a prime example of privatizing profits while socializing loses. Federalizing the program, where the feds lend the money directly, saves $50 billion -- which you righties say you are interested in saving money. Well, there it is.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

  6. #26
    The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    16,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Initially? They are still crying with no cause to this day! "We're upset because... well ...we're upset and have no alternative solution.

    Reality bites, whining Liberal-arts babies. No one is entitled to a degree.
    Have you bothered to read their statement?
    It sounds a lot more like a declaration of independence than a bunch of whining college kids.
    I'd suggest attempting to find out what's actually happening before labeling them.
    All 1.21 of them.

  7. #27
    Ultimate Member Chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    North Mexico
    Posts
    17,137
    The issue was Obama's allowing the no bankruptcy clause to remain in effect. After all, it was put in by President Evil. He could have changed that help his base.

    Either way, the protestors are a little off base blaming Wall Street for their problems. The educational lobby has made a college education cost as much as the student loan program will bear. Loan limits go up, so does tuition.

    This is another "bubble" about to pop.
    Government is a disease pretending to be a cure!

  8. #28
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    12,264
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    The issue was Obama's allowing the no bankruptcy clause to remain in effect. After all, it was put in by President Evil. He could have changed that help his base.

    Either way, the protestors are a little off base blaming Wall Street for their problems. The educational lobby has made a college education cost as much as the student loan program will bear. Loan limits go up, so does tuition.

    This is another "bubble" about to pop.
    Your thesis that college costs rising are responsible for wealth inequality and unemployment is far off-base. Over the last three years there has been growth in unemployment. Yet, there has been no major change over the last 3-years in higher education.

    Likewise, income stratification has been occurring since Reagan and culminated with the Bush upper-income tax-cuts which resulted in income on the higher end skyrocketing while everyone else, at best, stayed the same.
    Last edited by MTAtech; October 10th, 2011 at 08:23 AM.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

  9. #29
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    12,264
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

  10. #30
    The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    16,905
    Blog Entries
    1
    Did you take that or find it?
    All 1.21 of them.

  11. #31
    Unavoidable Member nickslick74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Land of 11,842 lakes
    Posts
    12,066
    I like this paragraph from Krugman:

    The way to understand all of this is to realize that itís part of a broader syndrome, in which wealthy Americans who benefit hugely from a system rigged in their favor react with hysteria to anyone who points out just how rigged the system is.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/op...rssnyt&emc=rss
    To those who might be saying goodbye, take your sadness in stride as you walk toward the beautiful horizon.

  12. #32
    Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Nr. GroundZero NYC
    Posts
    8,847

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by nickslick74 View Post
    I like this paragraph from Krugman:


    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/10/op...rssnyt&emc=rss
    Gee, I wonder if Paul Krugman for his Oct 10 column had read the Purple Party Plank of Oct 7th ?


    Stop the Redistribution of Wealth by the Government


    In 2008 the Federal Government undertook a major redistribution of wealth from the American people who pay taxes to give that money to the top 1% of the top1 % of the income pyramid and also redistributed money from the middle-income Americans for several generations and gave away that money to major Banks.
    It continues this income redistribution every day with tax subsidies to Big Business like Exxon Mobil the biggest American company with tax subsidies.
    It would be reasonable to collect back the money it so redistributed to Big Finance and also to stop the subsidies to major Corporations
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

  13. #33
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    12,264
    Quote Originally Posted by MegalosSkylaki View Post
    Gee, I wonder if Paul Krugman for his Oct 10 column had read the Purple Party Plank of Oct 7th ?
    Yes:

    there are in fact very good reasons to intervene to support banks during a financial crisis. Bagehot knew it; Diamond and Dybvig showed it theoretically; and it remains true. Letting a financial crisis spread is very dangerous.Finally, even if you persuade yourself that the moral hazard created by financial firefighting outweighs the benefits of avoiding a 1931-style cascading crisis, the fact is that policy makers will intervene. Hank Paulson set out to make Lehman an example; two days later he was staring into the abyss.
    So the only feasible strategy is guarantees and a financial safety net plus regulation to limit the abuse of those guarantees. Itís imperfect; it faces the constant threat of regulatory capture; but it has worked in the past, and itís the only game in town.
    I would add that the only alternate policy would have been to let the failing banks be taken over and run by the government until they were liquidated but the hard right was calling Obama a Socialist when he was aiding the pillars of capitalism. What would they be calling him if he seized the banks?
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Real Housewives of Wall Street
    By The Real Bingo in forum DebateIMO: Politics, Religion, Controversy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 12th, 2011, 07:27 PM
  2. 4/29/10 Wall Street Protest
    By SiliconJon in forum DebateIMO: Politics, Religion, Controversy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 30th, 2010, 04:19 PM
  3. Calvin Trillin on Wall Street
    By Pexster in forum DebateIMO: Politics, Religion, Controversy
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 15th, 2009, 05:05 PM
  4. Even the Wall Street Journal...
    By Theophylact in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM
  5. The Wall Street Journal
    By Theophylact in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 22nd, 2004, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc