+ Reply to Thread

Tea Party clowns taking stupid to a whole new level

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/23/us...80B6639201D384

A city turns down $8.5 million in federal grant money.

In what could be a new high water mark of anti-Washington sentiment, the city of Troy, Mich., is rejecting a long-planned transportation center whose construction would have been fully financed with federal stimulus money.

The terminal, which would help Troy become a transportation node on an upgraded Detroit-to-Chicago Amtrak line, was hailed by supporters as a way to create jobs and to spur economic development. But federal money is federal money, so with the urging of the new mayor, who helped found the local Tea Party chapter, the City Council cast a 4-to-3 vote this week against granting a crucial contract, sending the project into limbo.

snip

The Troy transit center’s construction, by comparison, required no local contribution, and its predicted annual maintenance cost of $31,000 was, in the context of the city’s $50 million budget, “de minimis,” said Mark Miller, the assistant city manager.

snip

Michigan’s governor, Rick Snyder, a Republican, said through a spokeswoman that he was “disappointed” in the city’s decision and would be “reviewing our options for utilizing the grant, including the potential transfer of the grant to another applicant.” Mr. Snyder had sent a letter to Mayor Daniels before the vote saying that the project would have “significant, positive economic development on your community and the state.”

The transit fight is not Mayor Daniels’s first brush with controversy. Earlier this month, it was revealed that she posted a message to her Facebook page last June, after New York State approved same-sex marriage, stating, “I think I am going to throw away my I Love New York carrying bag now that queers can get married there.” In an interview, she said she regretted the online comment.

The vote on Monday, she said, is about setting an example concerning the national debt. “I want to leave a legacy for our children of managing our responsibilities — not crushing them with debt money.”

On Tuesday, an official of Magna International, a global automotive supplier based in Canada whose American headquarters are in Troy, expressed frustration with the City Council vote in a private e-mail to Ms. Hodges and others that was posted to a blog that favors the transit center.

“I am drafting a memo to all Magna group presidents and our Magna corporate executives strongly recommending that Magna International no longer consider the City of Troy for future site considerations, expansions or new job creation,” wrote Frank W. Ervin III, the company’s manager of government affairs. “I have also recommended that where ever and when ever possible we reduce our footprint and employment level in Troy” in favor of communities that act in the best interests of residents and business and that do “not simply use their public position to advance their own private agenda.”

Mr. Ervin did not respond to requests for comment, but told The Detroit News on Tuesday that the letter reflected his personal opinion and recommendation for the company, but that he had no control over the company’s decision.

Ed Myles, the president of a local manufacturing company, J.E. Myles & Co., said that the area, like the rest of the country, had been hurt by the recession and that it could use the economic boost that the transit center could provide. He said he worried about what companies like Magna would do. The council’s vote “put the kibosh on any other companies moving here.”

“It’s all politics,” he said. “In the meantime, people are suffering.”

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    The Tea Baggers sure will cut off their nose to spite their face.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

How can you read something like this and not just shake your head at how pathetic this all is? Good grief what is wrong with these people? They live in a vacuum, they have theirs and they don't care if anyone else is OK or not. That's OK, another city will get the money and the terminal and be happy to have it.
    “I am drafting a memo to all Magna group presidents and our Magna corporate executives strongly recommending that Magna International no longer consider the City of Troy for future site considerations, expansions or new job creation,” wrote Frank W. Ervin III, the company’s manager of government affairs. “I have also recommended that where ever and when ever possible we reduce our footprint and employment level in Troy” in favor of communities that act in the best interests of residents and business and that do “not simply use their public position to advance their own private agenda.”
    Awesome

Run Forest Run... Auntie has her panties in a twist and there's no turning back.

Me wonders if she lives in Troy
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Oh no, I live in a town that has so much crime and poverty it looks a lot like east Dallas. (or over by the airport)
    Troy is a relatively affluent city here in MI. Hmmm now that I think of it, I wonder if the real reason they are turning down the money is to keep the outsiders (read that riffraff) out. betcha....

(my sister lives there, does that count? )

Wait! Does that mean Tea Party is code for affluent racist?
    Whoops!
    I better get outa here!

"Michigan City Turns Down Millions of Dollars, Saying Federal Money Is Not Free."

Thanks but no thanks. Maybe they don't want blood money. Maybe they don't want to be indebted to an entity they disagree with. They have that freedom of choice whether you agree or not. I find it interesting that some here are incredulous that someone would reject a government handout. As if it's an insult.
    Last edited by Toadman; December 23rd, 2011 at 03:39 PM.

They could insult me all day long for 8 1/2 Mil.........

I'm sure the food that would have been put on the construction workers tables won't be missed. How about those car and house notes. Screw the Politicians
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

This city is not the only one to turn down stimulus money, there are several states that have turned down stimulus money. Nothing new here, just an attempt at attacking the Tea Party.
    Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    "Michigan City Turns Down Millions of Dollars, Saying Federal Money Is Not Free."

Thanks but no thanks. Maybe they don't want blood money. Maybe they don't want to be indebted to an entity they disagree with. They have that freedom of choice whether you agree or not. I find it interesting that some here are incredulous that someone would reject a government handout. As if it's an insult.
    Indebted to blood money??? Where do you get that from? How is it blood money? How is the city of Troy indebted?

It's an insult to the community that would have benefited from the construction and benefits of the light rail would provide including long term economic growth.

Quote Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
    This city is not the only one to turn down stimulus money, there are several states that have turned down stimulus money. Nothing new here, just an attempt at attacking the Tea Party.
    So it's your position that this stupidity is not new? That's it's the standard operating procedure of the TP?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    It's an insult to the community that would have benefited from the construction and benefits of the light rail would provide including long term economic growth.
    Exactly. I can't believe they turned down such a project that had such long term potential, let alone the instant creation of construction based jobs,
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

“There’s nothing free about government money,” Mayor Janice Daniels said in an interview. “It’s never free, and it’s crippling our way of life.”

Blog Entries
    Ah yes, their way of life. I'm sure those unemployed would disagree.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    So it's your position that this stupidity is not new? That's it's the standard operating procedure of the TP?
    That would be all your opinion.

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mad1 View Post
    That would be all your opinion.
    Do enlighten us.
    All 1.21 of them.

Quote Originally Posted by tony_j15 View Post
    Do enlighten us.
    You would have to ask gomer, it was his comment.

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Nope, you don't get to play stupid.
    You stated that was he said was merely his opinion, ergo it did not meet your litmus test to be considered fact. That obviously means you believe yourself to be in possession of an alternate explanation.
    So put up or shut up.
    All 1.21 of them.

Ultimate Member
    I'm still waiting to hear answers to these questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Gomer
    Indebted to blood money??? Where do you get that from? How is it blood money? How is the city of Troy indebted?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information