View Poll Results: Do you park in handicapped spots even though you aren't handicapped?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

0 0%
  • Yes, but only at night when the lot is empty.

0 0%
  • Yes, because I am a rampant jerk.

0 0%
  • No.

16 100.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Are you one of those jerkbags...

...that parks in handicapped spaces, even though you aren't handicapped?

I saw a guy this evening at the grocery store. He walked in while I was in line and walked out right after me. Absolutely nothing wrong with the dude.

I walk outside and there's a silver Xterra parked in the handicapped spot closest to the door. I parked three spots down in the first normal spot -- there are two handicapped and one senior citizen spots on each side of the store side of each row.

As he walked around to get into his car, I just looked at him and said "funny, you don't look handicapped." He gave me the stinkeye and then blew out of the parking lot without stopping or using a blinker.

I personally feel these people are the scum of the Earth. And so, I guess by association, if you park in handicapped spots when you aren't handicapped, I also think you are the scum of the Earth.

And though senior citizen spots aren't legally enforceable like handicapped spots, it still pisses me off when I see some dumb young douchebag park in one. What the hell goes on in the minds of these people? Is that spot a couple further away from the store going to make or break your day?

I also have a special place in my heart for those parking lot vultures that will waste 10 minutes and gas cruising up and down rows looking for the absolute closest spot when they could have pulled in near the back and walked into the store in two.

/rant /rave /rant

We've compiled the information you need to obtain a handicapped parking permit. Check below for your state's requirements.
    How to Obtain a Handicapped Parking Permit

Michigan:
    A qualifying disability is defined under Michigan law as either blindness or any condition that significantly limits a person's ability to walk or requires a wheelchair, walker, crutch or other assistive device.

So lung disease or arthritis would quailfy... Odds are the guy you saw was a jerk, but not all people have visible signs..
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

I,actually, call the police or the "Rent a Cop" for the parking lot. I've come close to letting the air out a tire or two or stuffing something up the exhaust pipe.
    But ,we all know, two wrongs do not make a right !!

If you believe that one, I have a bridge for sale
    Last edited by pickel; December 27th, 2011 at 09:02 AM.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Whir View Post
    What the hell goes on in the minds of these people? Is that spot a couple further away from the store going to make or break your day?

I also have a special place in my heart for those parking lot vultures that will waste 10 minutes and gas cruising up and down rows looking for the absolute closest spot when they could have pulled in near the back and walked into the store in two.

/rant /rave /rant
    Probably:

"Well, no one is using this space anyway, I won't be but a minute"

OR

"There are three empty spots here, I will use one for just long enough to get milk, eggs, and some bread."

OR

"It really is to long of a walk to go to the 3rd parking space. I will just park here!"

OR(My Favorite)
    I had to park close to the door so I could fill my trailer and back of my big F-150 truck up with groceries!
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar

I've gone so far as to make people move. The biggest thing I see is a "care giver" using a decal when the person that was issued it is not with them. And before you say that if they have a decal , they can park there, it is against the law here to do that without the handicapped person present.

Ultimate Member thephilosophizer's Avatar
    I'm reminded of Dennis Leary's song, I'm an Asshole.
    I park in handicap spaces while handicapped people make handicapped faces.
    I'm an Asshole.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance does whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine

This does happen but, sometimes a persons disability is not that visible. I guess what I'm saying is just because someone looks like they are ok, doesn't necessarily mean it's so. My wife has severe arthritis to the point of needing knee replacements. She does not limp and from just looking at her you would never suspect a problem. She can walk short distances without much problems but, any extended walking and she'll be in pain for the rest of the day. Bottom line, you can't judge a disability on looks alone.
    "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

I do see a lot of people nimble as a lamb, but using a spouses placard and parking in the HC spaces. Typical "takers".
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Ultimate Member
    Actually, what irritates me even more than the folks who park in the HC spaces is the people who drop off their spouse in the fire/loading zone along the front of the store and then idle there until the person has finished shopping.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thephilosophizer View Post
    I'm reminded of Dennis Leary's song, I'm an Asshole.
    I park in handicap spaces while handicapped people make handicapped faces.
    I'm an Asshole.
    Love that song.

Blog Entries
    Even when I had a Handicapped placard, I typically didn't use the Handicapped spaces.

Harder

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajunheat View Post
    This does happen but, sometimes a persons disability is not that visible. I guess what I'm saying is just because someone looks like they are ok, doesn't necessarily mean it's so. My wife has severe arthritis to the point of needing knee replacements. She does not limp and from just looking at her you would never suspect a problem. She can walk short distances without much problems but, any extended walking and she'll be in pain for the rest of the day. Bottom line, you can't judge a disability on looks alone.
    Agreed.

In fact, I was driving my mom around who by looking at her you could barely tell she had a handicapped plate. But she actually has to go in for back surgery, and on top of that, many years ago had a mini stroke. This said, she can walk short distances, but needs a cane otherwise as she will be in great pain if she didnt use one.

On that note, I actually had some idiot try to curse us out screaming she wasn't handicapped. In which I promptly handled the situation by making him feel stupid, quite loudly. Needless to say he shut his mouth and got back in the car. No violence needed, no cops called.

This said, it was quite disheartening to see that people so easily jump to that conclusion.

I would never assume someone, especially one with a handicapped plate AND placcard was not disabled simply because she appeared ok.

For that matter, unless I have proof there is no placard or plate, I don't even bother to shake my head, as you just don't know.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

I hate to say bad things about the dead, but,
    Steve Jobs regularly parked in handicapped spaces, because he didn't like being told what to do.

He also drove his Mercedes, unregistered.

Now that's a Jerkbag.
    Hard Sayin Not Knowin

I would reserve judgement. I have a friend who lost his leg from the just below the knee. With his new prosthetic leg, he appears to walk normally. If he is wearing pants, now he looks perfectly normal to all, but he needs to keep the distances he walks down because it causes him pain.
    "Men sleep peacefully in their beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

-George Orwell

I would never assume someone, especially one with a handicapped plate AND placcard was not disabled simply because she appeared ok.

For that matter, unless I have proof there is no placard or plate, I don't even bother to shake my head, as you just don't know.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Whir View Post
    ...that parks in handicapped spaces, even though you aren't handicapped?

I saw a guy this evening at the grocery store. He walked in while I was in line and walked out right after me. Absolutely nothing wrong with the dude.

I walk outside and there's a silver Xterra parked in the handicapped spot closest to the door. I parked three spots down in the first normal spot -- there are two handicapped and one senior citizen spots on each side of the store side of each row.

As he walked around to get into his car, I just looked at him and said "funny, you don't look handicapped." He gave me the stinkeye and then blew out of the parking lot without stopping or using a blinker.

I personally feel these people are the scum of the Earth. And so, I guess by association, if you park in handicapped spots when you aren't handicapped, I also think you are the scum of the Earth.

And though senior citizen spots aren't legally enforceable like handicapped spots, it still pisses me off when I see some dumb young douchebag park in one. What the hell goes on in the minds of these people? Is that spot a couple further away from the store going to make or break your day?

/rant /rave /rant
    That's too many assumptions for me to make to not just let the Karma Police sort it out. The scales will balance.

Blog Entries
    No assumptions made. I checked the vehicle for tags while I was walking by. There were none.

Living the dream The Real Bingo's Avatar
    Illegitimately park in a handicap spot and this could happen to you...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Are you one of those jerkbags...-seinfeld_episode062_337x233_040420061510.jpg  

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information