+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is This a Hoax? British Tourists Arrested in USA on Terror Charges over Twitter Jokes

British tourists arrested in America on terror charges over Twitter jokes | Mail Online

It sounds like a hoax to me. I can't believe DHS is scanning Twitter and jailing Brits over this.
    Over heard in a restaurant: "How do you want your eggs?" the waitress asked. "NFL Style. Beaten"!

couldn't find a more acceptable source, but there are many news sites covering this. doesn't mean it has to be true

Creatures
    Canon EOS 550D | Tamron 18 - 270mm 1:3.5 - 6.3 | Lensbaby Scout (Soft Focus Optic, Fisheye Optic) | Canon Speedlite 430EX II

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    If it proves to be true, I want every agent attached to this "investigation" fired. Anyone who lacks the simple mental acuity to note the difference between a joke (and a Family Guy reference at that?) and actual plotting has no business being involved in homeland security.
    All 1.21 of them.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    How in the hell did they connect the two over Twitter? Did they have their faces on twitter too? How do you cross reference those two just from Twitter along? That seems odd to me. I know if I said bad things about the UK they couldn't cross reference me because I don't use my real name on Twitter and my picture isn't there. So it just begs the question. It's got to be fake.

Blog Entries
    seems like a hard cross reference but who knows.

But, But terrorism is NOTHING to joke about!

/sarcasm(in case anyone doesn't understand my humor)

Anyway, it isn't a joke to the SS - Lost In Translation: Because Of Twitter Joke, Brits Denied Entry To U.S. : The Two-Way : NPR
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

The media is pretty much ignoring this.

I think if Bush was president, there would be a call for his head.
    Over heard in a restaurant: "How do you want your eggs?" the waitress asked. "NFL Style. Beaten"!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post

Yeah, they are like totally ignoring it.

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    How in the hell did they connect the two over Twitter? Did they have their faces on twitter too? How do you cross reference those two just from Twitter along? That seems odd to me. I know if I said bad things about the UK they couldn't cross reference me because I don't use my real name on Twitter and my picture isn't there. So it just begs the question. It's got to be fake.
    You may not use your real name or picture on Twitter but the site certainly has a record of when you connected and what IP address you connected from. This can then be cross referenced with the logs your ISP keeps to get an idea of who you are.

Whether or not Twitter provides information like this to authorities upon request, I do not know. Though if movie studios can manage to find out who you are from sharing movies over your internet connection, I'm sure the authorities have no problem doing it either.

Here is what U.S. customs had to say about it:

Based on information provided by the LAX Port Authority Infoline a suspicious activity tipline CBP conducted a secondary interview of two subjects presenting for entry into the United States. Information gathered during this interview revealed that both individuals were inadmissible to the United States and were returned to their country of residence.

CBP strives to treat all travelers with respect and in a professional manner, while maintaining the focus of our mission to protect all citizens and visitors in the United States. CBP denies entry to thousands of individuals each year on grounds of inadmissibility, some of which include: improper travel documents, prohibited activities or intent, traveling under the Visa Waiver Program without qualifying for participation in that program, smuggling of contraband or prohibited goods, criminal activity or history, immigration violations such as prior overstay, attempting to gain entry with fraudulent documents or posing as an imposter, and national security concerns, among others.

We recognize that there is an important balance to strike between securing our borders while facilitating the high volume of legitimate trade and travel that crosses our borders every day, and we strive to achieve that balance and show the world that the United States is a welcoming nation.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    So let me guess. They subpoena his and hers IP address? Give me a break.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomer View Post
    Yeah, they are like totally ignoring it.
    They are ignoring it. The major news outlets don't have shit on it.

I even posted a link for you. You don't expect me to believe that you're really that stupid, do you?

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can lead a horse to water...
    All 1.21 of them.

'I kept saying to them they had got the wrong meaning from my tweet but they just told me "you've really f***** up with that tweet boy".

'When I was in the van I was handcuffed and put in a cage. I had a panic attack but the worse was yet to come.

'When we arrived at the prison I was shoved in a cell on my own but after an hour two huge Mexican men covered in tattoos came in and started asking me who I was.

'They told me they'd been arrested for taking cocaine over the border.

'When the food arrived on the tray they took it all and just left me with a carton of apple juice.'

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh
    Which major news outlets aren't providing the coverage you require?

FOX News

ABC News

USA Today

MSNBC

Not to mention Forbes, CBS Local, NPR, etc.

So let me guess. They subpoena his and hers IP address? Give me a break.
    They just whisper to the ISPs that they should "cooperate". Bam - all the info they want.

OR, you could go full paranoid, and say that they have EVIDENCE of everything that happens, and are simply waiting for the criminals/terrorists accused to come into their grasp.
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

Banned
    Blog Entries
    My bad.... I did click your link, but I could have swore there were no major news outlets mentioned.

Edit- You know why? My Google page is black. I have a greasemonkey script that makes Google black.
    Last edited by Taxmancometh; January 31st, 2012 at 12:30 AM.

Blog Entries
    It appears as if the story is valid. We kicked em out because of their twitter tweets. Wow, I wonder how they linked the two during routine screening. Perhaps they simply looked at their phones and found the "inflametory rhetoric / jokes"

The new outlets have mentioned it. I saw nothing on CNN or MSNBC. A quick blurb on Fox. So I'd say it's mostly reported on the online side of the news.

The issue is the screening of Twitter and the judgements made by TSA. Is TSA getting to be a "Super Police" displacing the FBI and everyone else?

Do we need another police department - a national one at that?

Maybe someone "Saw something" and reported it....

Ultimate Member
    The issue is the screening of Twitter and the judgements made by TSA. Is TSA getting to be a "Super Police" displacing the FBI and everyone else?

Do we need another police department - a national one at that?

Maybe someone "Saw something" and reported it....
    The statement mentions that someone submitted a tip via an infoline used to report suspicious activity. Combine that with the fact that the UK tourist in question has quite a few followers and describes himself in his Twitter bio as a "Full-Time Nuisance!", I'm guessing that:

1) Someone he knows submitted the tip as a prank.

or, perhaps more likely:

2) Someone he knows read his "destroy America" tweets, and submitted the tip because the guy is an asshole.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information