+ Reply to Thread

Los Angeles teacher charged with molesting 23 children

A U.S. school teacher bound and gagged nearly two dozen children, put cockroaches on some of their faces and posed in photos with them, possibly inside a classroom, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said Tuesday.

A department statement said 61-year-old Mark Berndt was arrested Monday and remained jailed Tuesday on $2.3 million bail. The district attorney's office said Berndt has been charged with committing lewd acts with 23 boys and girls ages 6 to 10, according to the Associated Press.

Berndt is charged with committing lewd acts between 2008 and 2010. He worked for more than 30 years at Miramonte Elementary School in south Los Angeles. The school serves a poor, mainly Hispanic neighborhood. More than half of its approximately 1,400 students are still learning English, according to the school's website.

Berndt was immediately removed and fired when police informed the school district, Deasy said.
    Los Angeles Teacher Charged With Molesting 23 Children | Fox News

This guy is sick.
    Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing

Blog Entries
    hey let's not judge the man too harshly.

he obviously has a mental disorder. clearly was not thinking straight. I think he should get his job back under the ADA

perhaps the kids were asking or it

but seriously I think the school seems to have acted properly and hopefully this does not turn into a long chain of events where he was identified before and it was swept under the rug.

I have no problem with life in prison/nut house with out chance of parol.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    I have no problem with life in prison/nut house with out chance of parol.
    That costs too much. A bullet to the head will do.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Box: Intel Pentium G3258 / 4gb DDR3 1600 / Lubuntu 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430 / Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667 / Lubuntu 32bit

Blog Entries
    I am not entirely against that either.

my biggest fear of jailing them or putting them in the nut house is that at some point some idiot will decide they have them satisfactorily medicated or healed and they will let them out to torture rape and or kill again.

If you put them in jail someone will have a new girlfriend.

Actually, in jail he will be killed... quickly I might add. most Cons hate child molesters.

LOS ANGELES The entire faculty at Miramonte Elementary School, where two teachers were arrested last week on accusations of child sexual abuse, will be replaced by new teachers this week, the Los Angeles Unified School District superintendent announced Monday night.

Speaking to hundreds of parents at a meeting called to address the crisis at Miramonte, Superintendent John Deasy announced the school would be closed Tuesday and Wednesday, and when students returned on Thursday, an entirely new corps of teachers and staff members would have been hired to greet them. All current teachers, administrators and staff members will be moved to a school still under construction for the rest of the school year, where they will be interviewed by school officials and, if necessary, the police.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/07/ed...e-arrests.html

This response is most like due to the arrest of the second teacher. I applaud the school for taking this action to ensure the students safety from any other possible harm.

A South Los Angeles elementary school was reeling Friday after authorities arrested a second teacher accused of abusing students.

L.A. schools Supt. John Deasy said he will move quickly to fire the second teacher to be arrested at Miramonte Elementary school this week.

Few details were immediately released about the second teacher. It is Deasy's understanding there are "multiple incidents" involving the second teacher, but he deferred to investigators, saying he lacked additional details.
    L.A. school reeling after 2nd teacher arrested on abuse claims - latimes.com

Blog Entries
    mixed emotions on this. Seems like a lot of expense and upheaval for the students and staff.

I don't mind the re-interview of all teachers but they should return to the same school. Unless there is suspicion that the problem is larger than just the two involved. I.E were there a lot of enablers. if so they should just be trained, diciplined or fired. I assume that most of the teachers were good. Just throwing a new staff at the problem does not help the students. Unless the old staff really really sucked beyond all repair.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information