+ Reply to Thread
    Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar

Arizona lawmakers: Teachers, no cursing in or out of class

Arizona lawmakers: No more teachers’ dirty words – Under bill, cursing could lead to firing
    About a half-dozen Republican state senators want to crack down on classroom cursing — only, it’s not the students who are the targets. And it’s TV that sets the rules.

Under legislation introduced this month, public school teachers and university professors could be suspended or even fired for using profanities or other obscene language that would be banned from network television under the Federal Communications Commission’s decades-old indecency policy.
    Several Democrats have raised similar [First Amendment] objections. Senate Minority Leader David Schapira, a former high school teacher, told the Arizona Republic over the weekend that while he firmly believes teachers shouldn’t curse in front of their students, “school districts should implement the policies,” not the state.

Making the bill even more controversial is the fact that it technically applies to teachers and professors even when they are outside the classroom.
    So much for conservatives being the ones that believe in small governmental and personal rights.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    I don't like this because it is another zero tolerance thing that will simply be enforced with out reason/context/logic.

I don't like the idea of teachers excessivly cursing and my objection probably increases inversely with age. But that said someone will need to tell me what the problem with cursing is.

What negative effect does this have on long term success of students. How bout we rate teachers on how well they teach and pay less attention to the words they use.

if the principle finds a teacher that is excessively cursing then the principle should talk to the teacher and take corrective actions based upon a reasoned analysis of the problem..

The reason that I brought it up is because Republicans claim to be the party that supports small, less intrusive government. This example proves the opposite.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    that is good because I am not a republican.

But as far as my vote, I am more concerned with spending, and I don't see this stupidity as costing a whole lot. It is just a pointless.

Teachers should not use vulgar language in front of students. They used to be role models.

And students should be punished for swearing in school, and the parents should not allow swearing at home.

We need to work harder to avoid becoming a society of ghetto trash talking wanna be thugs!
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Blog Entries
    Oh, please.

I can understand the desire to keep things civil at the grade school level, but by high school the words will be used.
    At college, I expect it to a certain degree. I don't think teachers should be dropping the F-bomb all over the place, but I've had one professor who sprinkled it ever so lightly into his lectures and the class was none the worse for it.

Also, this will become severely ridiculous in English classes, for instance. Will teachers have to censor themselves when reading from literature that includes obscene language?
    This is a dumb idea being pushed by dumb people who are more worried about their antiquated victorian sensibilites instead of the First Amendment.
    Last edited by tony_j15; February 15th, 2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Get off of my roof!

It's a fine line between progressive and dirt bag. And you won't know which category people put you in because they won't tell you.

Best not to follow the wrong example.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

What some posts ignore is that the law applies away from the classroom as well. If a teacher can't say 'shit' in a bar, that's clearly a First Amendment violation.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Teachers should not use vulgar language in front of students. They used to be role models.

And students should be punished for swearing in school, and the parents should not allow swearing at home.

We need to work harder to avoid becoming a society of ghetto trash talking wanna be thugs!
    This was a DULL thread til Chuckie chimed in. LMAO

At a certain point or age, language has a determining factor in illustrating the meaning of a specific lesson.
    A "lil" cussin' never hurt nothin'

Chill out Chuck.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Someone has to keep up the standards around here...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    Someone has to keep up the standards around here...
    ... and it ain't gonna be you.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley

Looks like teachers won't be able to use the word, "Santorum."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Theophylact View Post
    ... and it ain't gonna be you.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

I've derived a lot of pleasure from watching some of the younger people here as they grow up -- tony_j15 is a great example. He has turned into one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people in DIMO.
    Never send to know for whom the bell tolls . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Looks like teachers won't be able to use the word, "Santorum."
    OUCH
    The propeller is just a big fan in front of the plane used to keep the pilot cool. When it stops, you can actually watch the pilot start sweating.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin89 View Post
    Teachers are considered as the second parent of the children while the latter are away from their home. I believe that teachers must not say bad words in front of the students. They must be a good role model and a just disciplinarian to the students.
    While teachers should be good role models, it's a far cry from passing a law that limits what a teacher can utter in or out of school.

Did you ever notice that conservatives, who say they are for limited government, have no issue with making laws that control speech or regulating the womb?

Blog Entries
    out of the classroom is really a stretch.

of course my company can fire me for what I write on facebook. So employees sometimes are required to represent their company/school with some level of dacorum.

But in the end I think this goes a bit too far. I don't care if a college professor says shit nor do I care if a Highschool teacher says F_ck at a bar and as long as it is not too abused i don't really care if they slip a few in the classroom for effect.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pexster View Post
    I've derived a lot of pleasure from watching some of the younger people here as they grow up -- tony_j15 is a great example. He has turned into one of the most thoughtful and intelligent people in DIMO.
    Sarcasm?

Considering I started off here as an angsty teenager and YECer who irritated Beemer to no end, I do think I've made a little progress.
    Get off of my roof!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information