+ Reply to Thread

Angry The term of the day is: "coordinated retaliation"

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/18/bu...-airlines.html
    BRUSSELS — China, the United States and two dozen other countries are looking at coordinated retaliation — including putting pressure on European airlines and other industries — if Europe tries to enforce a law requiring airlines to pay for their greenhouse gas emissions.

The system, the European Union’s boldest initiative on climate protection to date, has provoked a worldwide outcry and raised the unwelcome prospect of a full-scale trade war. European officials have stood firm while challenging opponents to suggest an equally effective alternative.

The European system requires an airline landing or taking off in Europe to acquire permits corresponding to the amount of greenhouse gases emitted during the entire flight — regardless of where it originated or ended or the nationality of the airline. The system went into effect this year, although the first payments will not be due until 2013.
    The initiative on climate protection has China and the US on the same side. We must STOP them from saving the planet. Well, at least stop them from costing US so much money!
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

I say let the Planet go and keep the Buck's. Might need them to pay for ALL the welfare for unwanted pregnancies. But then we could TAX our ladies for the money they won't be spending on the "Pill" and give that monies to the airlines. Everyone's happy again.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries
    I don't have a problem with Europe imposing a tax on incomming flights. At least I don't think I do.

if they are willing to take the increased costs of their tourism trade and products they receive I am not sure there is a real problem.

Blog Entries
    What Europe has proposed is a step in the right direction. The US should both welcome this idea and propose it here at home.
    Get off of my roof!

Blog Entries
    Specifically targeting the Airline industry does what?

What is the ultimate goal of such an action? Is it going to reduce Carbon footprint? Or is it simply a revenue stream for government?

Blog Entries
    I'm in favor of total carbon taxation, but that issue was soundly squashed when the President attempted to bring it before Congress.

The goal of such action has multiple reasons. It will reduce the carbon footprint for some simply from the price hike. People will decided to drive or take the train/bus instead of fly. Some of the revenue can be used to kickback at industries if they meet carbon limits and also granted to manufacturers who design ultra high efficiency engines. The rest can go to alternative energy research and solar subsidization. The cold hard facts are that we are experiencing global climate change and that oil will peak/run out within 50-200 years. It's high time that we get the ball rolling on transitioning to alternative energy sources.
    Get off of my roof!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information