+ Reply to Thread

Teen Who Sold White iPhone Kits Reveals How Apple Hunted Him Down

“Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

They won't do anything do him. They'll make him agree to a "cease and desist", and wish him well. They can't even make him sign one.

He's a juvenile cannot represent himself, and any agreement he makes is void anyway.

They just want to make a point. Probably get him to tell them how he did it so they can stop future issues like this.

This is a PR battle Apple cannot win and they know it.
    “Rancher Bundy should’ve told the feds that those were Mexican cows – who came across the border illegally to seek better grazing opportunities. It was an act of love.”

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    He agreed to it when he clicked "I agree" when he downloade the new iTunes.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    They will settle and nothing can really be done against the guy. Hopefully he doesn't get bullied out of all of the money he earned though by intimidation.
    Last edited by SoloCamo; February 20th, 2012 at 11:45 PM.
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

Blog Entries
    Thread cleaned up. Now back on topic....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    They will settle and nothing can really be done against the guy. Hopefully he doesn't get bullied out of all of the money he earned though by intimidation.
    ummm does this kid even have a leg to stand on.

did these things infringe on copyright and or trademark? If I invent sell processors with intel written on them? can I sell motherboards with Asus written on them?

It's a civil issue, not criminal. And he is a juvenile. You can't do much with civil against a juvenile, other than to go after the parents. And that would be a PR no-no for such a trivial case involving Apple's inability to secure their supply channels in China.

I'll bet a "cease and desist" will be agreed on, and it will go quietly into the sunset.

I suppose they could sue China for selling critical components to any Tom, Dick, and Harry with a credit card... One may even ask China where else they are shipping this stuff? That should keep the lawyers busy for awhile.

Who says you can't do much with civil against a juvenile? If the kid has assets, he/she can be sued for monetary damages just like anyone else.

The components are likely manufactured in the same factory that Apple's are made. That often happens with brand names. Louis Vitton will contract to make 10,000 handbags. The company makes 20,000, with 10,000 sold on the streets in major cities.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

I don't think a juvenile has assets, unless they are held in trust.

We're not talking a bicycle here... or his laptop.

The article said he was making $8,000 a day. Where did that go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    I don't think a juvenile has assets, unless they are held in trust.

We're not talking a bicycle here... or his laptop.

Blog Entries
    on the radio I heard something about 135,000 dollars sounds like an asset to me.

boy it would suck to gain 100 grand as a kid and have it taken away

But Apple does have trademarks they have rights to.

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    on the radio I heard something about 135,000 dollars sounds like an asset to me.

boy it would suck to gain 100 grand as a kid and have it taken away

But Apple does have trademarks they have rights to.
    It doesn't suck if the $135,000 were from ill-gotten gains. It's the way it works. If you profit from patent infringement, you aren't entitled to the money when discovered.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    It doesn't suck if the $135,000 were from ill-gotten gains. It's the way it works. If you profit from patent infringement, you aren't entitled to the money when discovered.
    it sucks if the ill gotten gains were not intentionally ill gotten. Here you are a 17 year old kid who finds a niche that is not currently served and fills it it in good faith. poof he finds out that he has been infringing on apples turf. Now his 135,000 dollars that he was so proud of earning suddenly is stripped from him. Dude that would suck.

Now if he knew he was stealing and felt he was pullin one over on the man then you are somewhat prepared with an "oh well that how the cookie crumbles"

I don't know what this kid knew as he was doing this evil venture.

I am not suggesting apple is in the wrong, but I also can see where this would really suck for an honest kid trying to make a buck.

Ignorance of the law does not relieve one of liability. Moreover, how this 17 yr old could think he was doing something wrong is highly questionable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    Ignorance of the law does not relieve one of liability. Moreover, how this 17 yr old could think he was doing something wrong is highly questionable.
    ignorance to the law is no excuse. But I never suggested that the did was not liable for his actions. Apple has a legal royal flush. They have the absolute right to smack this kid down.

but that does not make the kid feel any better assuming he was just doing some internet sales of a cool niche market he found.'

Why you are arguing with me I don't know. We are essentially on the same page only I leave the door open for empathy.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    What did this kid do wrong exactly? I don't see anything wrong with selling white iphone kits. So the kid is an entrepreneur.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Taxmancometh View Post
    What did this kid do wrong exactly? I don't see anything wrong with selling white iphone kits. So the kid is an entrepreneur.
    I don't know but if they have the I-Phone trade mark then he is stealing the trademark. Probably the most guilty party is the chinese company that stuff to him. His recourse might be to sue them for damages (good luck suing in china though)

But I-phone was wronged and deserves the money he made using their fine name

Blog Entries
    Не смешно, взять спама на ваш форум incervier.

Vee don't need no more stinking spamski...

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information