+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Rhode Island teen who fought against prayer banner gets scholarship from atheist grou

Blog Entries
    I am still uneasy with the idea of taking down the sign. But good for her getting a scholarship.

And every moron that never took a civic's class on the constitution is spouting off in the comments defending their Christian privilege to post religious banners where ever they want. All the David Barton revisionist history you would ever want to hear in reading the comments.
    “Religion: Together we can find the cure.”

Why are you uneasy? They wouldn't change the text to remove religious reference or accept other religious or non-religious banners. They only wanted the Christian non-denominational prayer on the wall. The school committee were told it would be a slam dunk for taking the banner down otherwise. They spent money on foolish notions of Christian pride.

Light to Counter the Dim MTAtech's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    I am still uneasy with the idea of taking down the sign. But good for her getting a scholarship.
    I thought you were a strict constitutionalists? If so, then you should be on the other side, because having the banner is clearly "establishment" of religion.
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries
    I still do not find schools to be congress or a branch of the federal government.

I still believe in states rights and if arizona wants to have a state religion they are allowed as is evidenced by several states who signed the constitution having state religions.

Personally I like the fact that states do not have religions but strictly constitutionally speaking I believe there is evidence that the framers did not intend to have the congress represent all government at all levels.

As for my uneasy feelings I also find tradition to exist in a special category. Just like the prayer opening up congress. or swearing in elected officials on a bible.

I still do not find schools to be congress or a branch of the federal government.

I still believe in states rights and if arizona wants to have a state religion they are allowed as is evidenced by several states who signed the constitution having state religions.
    The Fourteenth Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, ratified in 1868, makes no mention of religious establishment, but forbids the states to "abridge the privileges or immunities" of U.S. citizens, or to "deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law". In the 1947 case of Everson v. Board of Education, the United States Supreme Court held that this later provision incorporates the First Amendment's Establishment Clause as applying to the States, and thereby prohibits state and local religious establishments.

She should be proud of herself. At least when a prospective employer does a Google search, they'll know the risks of hiring a community activist!
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckiechan View Post
    She should be proud of herself. At least when a prospective employer does a Google search, they'll know the risks of hiring a community activist!
    and what are those risks?
    Conservatives: "If the facts disagree with our opinion, ignore the facts -- or at least misrepresent them."

Blog Entries

I also still have a problem with the establishment definition. it is way too broad a brush that gives the Federal government too much power.

I guess in the end you are right and it is considered settled law but I don't much care for the settlement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
    as an employer I could see that she appears to be a troublemaker that might make life uncompfortable were I to not cross every T and dot every i.

But it also means she may be a bulldog, so depending on what I want her for it could be good or bad.

It'll look on a resume when she becomes a lawyer or politician showing that she started her career off with upholding the Constitution, securing separation of church and state invoking the Establishment clause and ensuring religious liberty is secured for all. The religious folk sure put her through the ringer over this but she maintained her cool knowing she had the Constitution and the Supreme Court precedent setting cases on her side. A law firm will be lucky to get her if she heads in that direction.

She's proven she isn't a quitter in the face of adversity.

Rhode Island State Representative Peter G. Palumbo was interviewed on the radio John Depedro and he called Jessica an “evil little thing” which is how they raised the money. They created T-shirts with Evil little thing printed on them and sold them off like hot cakes.

Blog Entries
    Chuckiechan,

I think it is probably mostly going to be a benefit to her in life although there may be a couple of instances where she gets nailed by a holy roller and that might cause her to look elsewhere or endure a unpleasant tenure under that person. In the end though I think there are plenty of avenues where it will benefit her.

If doing a good thing puts one out-of-favor for a particular prospective employer, you don't want to work for them.
    x
    as an employer I could see that she appears to be a troublemaker that might make life uncompfortable were I to not cross every T and dot every i.

But it also means she may be a bulldog, so depending on what I want her for it could be good or bad.

Blog Entries
    If doing a good thing puts one out-of-favor for a particular prospective employer, you don't want to work for them.
    x
    Great idea MTA but that really depends on ones prospects. Not everyone gets to choose their favorite employer and many are happy to receive a good paycheck.

I think you are overlooking the reality of job markets. I think I read somewhere there is a 35% glut of college students who are currently trying to find any work they can. I doubt their dream job is really an option.

Great idea MTA but that really depends on ones prospects. Not everyone gets to choose their favorite employer and many are happy to receive a good paycheck.

I think you are overlooking the reality of job markets. I think I read somewhere there is a 35% glut of college students who are currently trying to find any work they can. I doubt their dream job is really an option.
    I believe this opens more doors than it closes.

When you (or the headhunter**) narrows your search down to the last dozen people, you delve into background.

It used to be limited to public record, past employment, and references. But now social media, Google searches, and just about anything you care to write a check for is available.

"Successfully sued her school to remove a religious banner" is what she will be known for. I'm thinking... "What about our candy machine? Will she sue us for that?"

** With a headhunter, you probably won't know a candidate existed unless you asked. All you get is their selection.
    Last edited by Chuckiechan; February 22nd, 2012 at 10:36 AM.
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

Chuck,

You remind me of Lou Grant (Edward Asner) from the Mary Tylor Moore Show, who was interviewing Mary Richards (Mary Tyler Moore) and said "you've got spunk," which was interpreted by Mary as a good thing, until Lou said, "I hate spunk."

We, as people, do not need to be afraid to do the right thing in order to hide in the background. Personally, if the young lady took on the school and won, I'd look that as somebody I want strapping for my company.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information