+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24
  1. #1
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ no1_vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Albany, Ga.
    Posts
    20,266

    Isn't it TIME we got rid of snail mail?

    All of my critical messages are email now, and almost every piece of mail I get from the Post Office is advertising that the US taxpayers are supporting. The PO is claiming it should stop Saturday deliveries and wants to stop Friday deliveries too. Here, I am thinking, wouldn't that be A GOOD THING?
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

  2. #2
    OAP Theophylact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    inside the Beltway
    Posts
    12,199
    Blog Entries
    69
    You know, there are still lots of people in the US without an internet connection, and many of them don't have one either because they can't afford one or because can't get one.

    You and I will get along just fine without snail mail -- until we need new passports or a copy of our birth certificate for photo ID.
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

  3. #3
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    install a bank of computers at the post office in every town and let people go there to retrieve their email. Equip it with printers and free paper. Have a person there to oversee the resources are not misused.

    eliminate the trucks, sorting centers and delivery people and management.


    Or hell for the price of the postal service you could buy the poor people a phone line and a bottom end computer to keep in their house for dial up.

  4. #4
    Ultimate Member Chuckiechan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    North Mexico
    Posts
    16,991
    You probably have to have it. In fact, it's recognized in the Constitution.

    But I don't need it on Saturday, and I don't believe most homeowners need it every day. M - W - F, should be enough.

    And... it's mostly junk anyway.

    I went on vacation for 10 days, and the Post Office gave me my mail in a big P.O. container I had to return and not use it for anything else without going to federal prison for 20 years and a million dollar fine! I kept it in my safe until I could return it!

    Those Obama bastards were just laying for me! I know it!
    Obama: "If you like your Ebola, you can keep your Ebola!"

  5. #5
    Onii-san Bizkitkid2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    install a bank of computers at the post office in every town and let people go there to retrieve their email. Equip it with printers and free paper. Have a person there to oversee the resources are not misused.

    eliminate the trucks, sorting centers and delivery people and management.


    Or hell for the price of the postal service you could buy the poor people a phone line and a bottom end computer to keep in their house for dial up.


    Right, because everyone lives within a few miles of a post office. My closest post office is 15 miles away. It would cost me around $4.50 round trip to visit the post office if I had to drive to the post office to check my mail. And I wouldn't be doing that every day. The nearest lan cafe is even furthure away.

    I know someone who lives in the Hill country and is 25 miles away from the nearest post office, she gets her mail late a lot.

    PLus, the stuff I order off of Amazon can't be delivered through email Also, my Netflix Blu-Rays can't be sent through email either.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

  6. #6
    OAP Theophylact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    inside the Beltway
    Posts
    12,199
    Blog Entries
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    install a bank of computers at the post office in every town and let people go there to retrieve their email. Equip it with printers and free paper. Have a person there to oversee the resources are not misused.

    eliminate the trucks, sorting centers and delivery people and management.


    Or hell for the price of the postal service you could buy the poor people a phone line and a bottom end computer to keep in their house for dial up.
    Have you noticed they're planning to close down a lot of those post offices? Have you noticed that a lot of Alaska (for instance) doesn't exactly have phone lines?
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

  7. #7
    Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    NOVA
    Posts
    34,947
    Blog Entries
    62
    How else will I get all the wasted paper advertisements and credit card offers?! As for losing Sat or Friday mail doesn't concern me at all.

  8. #8
    The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    16,760
    Blog Entries
    1
    The Post Office has suffered from the combination of a new technology and entrenched bureacracy that is resistant to change. It's a classic case, but it would be a mistake (IMO) to shut it down completely.
    IMO, they should take more of the German approach to post offices in small towns: turn them over to the local general store on contract. That gets the buildings and staff off payroll. Saturday delivery should be express only, regular mail on a M-F basis. Postage should increase to ensure a profit is earned, if not on every piece, then as a whole. While I'm hesitant to suggest wage or benefit cuts, the current employment structure will need to be revamped as this does play a critical role. Finally, the vehicle fleet should be updated to take advantage of fuel efficiencies and alternative energies. The government has a great opportunity here with the hundreds of thousands of vehicles within the postal fleet to encourage change.
    All 1.21 of them.

  9. #9
    Onii-san Bizkitkid2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    11,556
    I agree with the more efficient mail vehicles, and I will add that they need to supply every post office with them. My local mail lady delivers mail using her personal 88 Grand Cheerokee that probably only gets around 16mpg. (Although that isn't much worse than an actual Mail Truck. A Grumman LLV EPA average is 17mpg) Its rare that our mail gets delivered by someone driving an actual US post office truck.

    When I lived in my apartment in the city limits of San Antonio, my mail was delivered by a lady using her personal Chevy Aveo. That is a much better choice IMO than a Grumman LLV.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; April 16th, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

  10. #10
    Banned sharder8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Uh, Central Oregon
    Posts
    10,341
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophylact View Post
    You know, there are still lots of people in the US without an internet connection, and many of them don't have one either because they can't afford one or because can't get one.

    You and I will get along just fine without snail mail -- until we need new passports or a copy of our birth certificate for photo ID.
    Whoa there Ol' timer . . .

    I just downloaded the form to request my birth cert., completed it, faxed it, and got my cert. birth cert. via FedEx, and the whole process took 1/2 the time, if I'd used USPS.


    Harder

  11. #11
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    How bout raising the price of a stamp, especially on junk mail!

    if they did that the amount of mail processed will be reduced. As junk mail rates rise the sheer volume of mail would be massively reduced. Drop mail delivery to 1 day a week perhaps and have a new law which increases grace periods by 1 week to make up for the delayed checks people receive.


    Bizkitkid,

    you have a computer and internet connection. your are good.



    Theo,

    you are under the impression that there would be no mail service if you closed the postal service. The only reason that the brown truck does not visit your house with flats is because it is illegal for them to do so. Eliminating the post office would likely be preceeded by the opening up of flat service to UPS, Fedex...

    No one would be incommunicado.

  12. #12
    The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Joplin, MO
    Posts
    16,760
    Blog Entries
    1
    raising the price of junk mail would be a great thing to do. A lot of organizations receive substantials cuts to their carry rates which puts the burden of those credit card offers on the American taxpayer. Raising those rates will ensure they pay properly, increasing the bottom line for the Postal Service, and likely cut down on a lot of the junk mailings as well.

    As to going to one day a week on mail... from an energy saving perspective, it might have benefits. But then those savings would be lost by having multiple private companies trying to fill that niche. So overall, it's a bad idea. It would raise costs for everyone.
    For the millions who either cannot or do not get broadband, daily weekday mail is vital to their personal and business success. In some rural areas, the local paper comes via mail as it's too far outside the delivery area for the paper company to profitably deliver. Additionally, drop-off is only half the issue. If mail is only getting dropped once a week, it would only be getting picked up once a week. That's not very effective at all.

    <rant>Personally, I feel that ideas like "let's get rid of snail mail" or "let's get rid of the penny and switch to digital currency" are the silly ramblings of middle-class urbanites who fail to realize most people don't live in their cute little Apple-product infested instant-on, constantly updated digital hell hole. Go back to sipping your Stabucks and leave the big decisions to intelligent people who are willing to look beyond their own noses before suggesting changes that affect everyone. </rant> Not directed at anyone in particular. That's just my Limbaughism of the day.
    All 1.21 of them.

  13. #13
    OAP Theophylact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    inside the Beltway
    Posts
    12,199
    Blog Entries
    69
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    Theo,

    you are under the impression that there would be no mail service if you closed the postal service. The only reason that the brown truck does not visit your house with flats is because it is illegal for them to do so. Eliminating the post office would likely be preceeded by the opening up of flat service to UPS, Fedex...

    No one would be incommunicado.
    Deregulating the airlines faced people who didn't live in major cities with enormous jumps in ticket prices; it's cheaper to fly from New York to LA than from Des Moines to Kansas City.

    The price of mail delivery doesn't depend on distance because the cost is spread over all users. There's no reason for a flat fee if there's no requirement for one; if you want that birth certificate sent to your cabin in Alaska by FedEx, it's gonna cost ya.
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

  14. #14
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    [Rant]Personally, I feel people who feel government is the only solution to the mail issue are short sighted. Those little podunk towns could receive their mail via Private industry such as UPS and Fedex. The few people not served by dial up (the only requirement for mail) are few and far between. Broad band is simply a convenience. Necessity of communication is served fine by dial up when it comes to mail.

    USPS can be replaced cheaply and effeciently at great savings by serving the 90% of the population with digital mail and the remaining schlubs would be well served by UPS ...

    and the 180 people not served in podunk island alaska by either can have a centrally served by some small government consolidation point that collects UPS and drives it across the frozen tundra to them if need be.

    [/Rant]

  15. #15
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophylact View Post
    Deregulating the airlines faced people who didn't live in major cities with enormous jumps in ticket prices; it's cheaper to fly from New York to LA than from Des Moines to Kansas City.

    The price of mail delivery doesn't depend on distance because the cost is spread over all users. There's no reason for a flat fee if there's no requirement for one; if you want that birth certificate sent to your cabin in Alaska by FedEx, it's gonna cost ya.
    So regulate flat fees to a reasonable price. 1 buck for letters. IF UPS wants to play in the flat game then they can. They will to serve the mainland.

    100 miles 30 cents, 1000 miles 90 cents, 5000 miles 2 bucks.

    Besides who is gonna take that birth certificate in the cabin in alaska? You gonna show it to a polar bear (I get your point but I do not see it as insurmountable)

  16. #16
    Onii-san Bizkitkid2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    San Antonio
    Posts
    11,556
    Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    Bizkitkid,

    you have a computer and internet connection. your are good.
    I said

    It would cost me around $4.50 round trip to visit the post office if I had to drive to the post office to check my mail.
    What about the people in my neighborhood that don't have internet or a computer? (There are some as this neighborhood is mostly old retired couples)


    So, lets say that you are someone who can't afford an internet connection.

    If you had to drive to the post office, you are probably going to spend more money in gas to drive their every day than it would be to get a phone line, and if you can't afford the phone line then you can't afford the drive to the post office.

    If you instead got your mail through UPS or FedEX, you would be in the same situation unless UPS or FedEX inroduces mail prices that were equal to that of usps. As it is now, UPS and FedEX are more than USPS to mail something.

    Abd having UPS and FedEx take over isn't solving the issue, its just pushing it onto someone else while increasing costs for the customer.

    I don't like to say pay cuts are necessary, but USPS employees are the highest paid government employees. I think hiring someone who knows what they are doing and can restructure USPS is a better idea than just shutting it down and having private corporations that charge more take over.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; April 17th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

  17. #17
    Tech IMO Bug Finder pickel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Jackson,MS
    Posts
    13,518
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

  18. #18
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ no1_vern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Albany, Ga.
    Posts
    20,266
    Post Office Plan Calls for 50-Cent First-Class Stamp - WSJ.com
    BY ERIC MORATH

    The U.S. Postal Service proposed drastic changes to its operations Thursday, including cutting more than 150,000 jobs from its payroll, raising the price of a first-class stamp to 50 cents and extending delivery time for long-distance mail, as part of a plan to save $22 billion annually.

    Without those changes and others—including likely ending Saturday delivery—the Postal Service projects it will incur annual losses exceeding $18 billion by 2015, Postmaster General Patrick Donahoe told members of Congress in a letter urging them to take swift action on ...
    They say technology slows down for no one. I know it outruns my wallet. I figure its because my wallet isn't light enough yet.

    TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!
    dulce bellum inexpertis

  19. #19
    OAP Theophylact's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    inside the Beltway
    Posts
    12,199
    Blog Entries
    69
    The real reason the Replicants want to eliminate the USPS is that it would destroy one of the largest public service unions, the APWU.
    The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. -- James Branch Cabell

  20. #20
    MR Meek and Mild Epidemic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    almost Virginia
    Posts
    11,534
    Blog Entries
    2
    isn't that more of a happy byproduct than a goal?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is it time to GET RID of tips?
    By no1_vern in forum DebateIMO: Politics, Religion, Controversy
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: May 10th, 2011, 08:00 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: February 2nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
  3. how to stop snail mail spam
    By sixf00t4 in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: June 12th, 2005, 01:02 PM
  4. Snail mail rates going up again already ??
    By Cruez in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: March 15th, 2002, 01:32 PM
  5. Funny Idea for junk snail mail
    By kenyg in forum IMO Community
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: January 17th, 2002, 10:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright 2014 All Enthusiast, Inc