+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

With ten days to go before his inauguration,

Donald Trump still finds time before breakfast to respond to an insult: (Overrated? With 19 Academy Award nominations and three wins?)

Trump is as easily distracted as a dog is by a squirrel. Let's hope he can focus a bit longer when he's actually on the job. But I doubt it.
    If I went back in time I wouldn't kill Hitler, I would save Rosa Luxembourg.

He's physically incapable of not responding to his critics because he is weak and insecure.
    THE DONALD FOR AMERICA

Blog Entries
    (By the way, the Washington Post Fact Checker gave Trump four Pinocchios for denying he mocked the Times reporter.)

Blog Entries
    This is the mark of a real leader, y'all. He's gutsy and says what he thinks. Not like that coward Obama who never responds to his critics. Meek!

Quote Originally Posted by Theophylact View Post

Trump is as easily distracted as a dog is by a squirrel. Let's hope he can focus a bit longer when he's actually on the job. But I doubt it.
    Hoping He's fast enough to catch that squirrel and His "Bite" IS as Big as His "Bark" !

https://youtu.be/7DO_OiLYBSs?t=24
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing

Blog Entries
    Wow, whoever drew that is an idiot. And whoever believes it is a fool.

Gun rights expanded under Obama, net immigration is negative under his terms of office, and net neutrality is what keeps your phone company from charging you obscene rates based on the sites you visit. As for debt...

Blog Entries
    As for his early-morning tweets:
    Here Trump is telling two lies about a third lie. A quick review: Trump’s mockery of a disabled reporter came after he claimed “thousands and thousands” of Muslims living in America celebrated 9/11. Kovaleski had written an article just after 9/11 that claimed law enforcement “detained and questioned a number of people who were allegedly seen celebrating the attacks.” Under fire for his falsehood about celebratory Muslims, Trump cited that article to push back, even though an “alleged” “number” is hardly proof of “thousands.” In response to that, the reporter put out a statement saying he did not witness Trump’s version of events. But Trump cited that statement as proof that the reporter had dishonestly backtracked on a story that backed Trump’s position (a lie Trump repeated in Monday’s tweets). That’s how Trump’s mockery of the reporter arose: He waved his arms and mock-quoted the reporter saying “I don’t know what I said!” (See Glenn Kessler’s extensive anatomy of the full story.)

To recap: Lie No. 1 is that thousands of U.S.-based Muslims celebrated 9/11. Lie No. 2 is that the disabled reporter’s original story backed Trump and that the reporter backtracked on it. Lie No. 3 is that Trump didn’t mock that disabled reporter (in fact, he flapped his hands around frantically after saying, “you gotta see this guy!”).

The claim about celebrating Muslims was one of Trump’s biggest lies — one that was central to his key campaign narrative about the Muslim Enemy Within. And so, Streep wasn’t merely calling out Trump’s bullying and abusiveness. She was also calling out his uniquely uncontrollable lying, and the extent to which Trump will go to attack reporters in service of it. Indeed, in the rest of her remarks, Streep segued immediately to a shout-out to “the principled press” that will be necessary to hold Trump accountable and “safeguard the truth.”

It’s often argued that we should perhaps give less attention to Trump’s tweets. But Monday’s barrage gets at something important. Yes, all politicians lie. But with only days to go until Trump assumes vast power, Monday’s tweetstorm is a reminder that we may be witnessing something new and different in the nature and degree of the dishonesty at issue. Here again we’re seeing Trump’s willingness to keep piling the lies on top of one another long after the original foundational lies have been widely debunked, and to keep on attacking the press for not playing along with his version of reality, as if the very possibility of shared reality can be stamped out by Trumpian edict, or Trumpian Tweedict.

Some journalists are arguing that we need to take care in labeling Trump’s falsehoods as “lies,” because that imputes motive and intent. If some feel more comfortable labeling them “false,” that will probably suffice most of the time, with the crucial caveat that it must be done squarely and prominently. But the broader point here is that, in the debate over how to handle Trump’s profound and unprecedented dishonesty, let’s not underplay the possibility that the usual conventions of political journalism may prove woefully insufficient to conveying to readers and viewers what Trump is really up to here.

thousands and thousands” of Muslims living in America celebrated 9/11.
    I'm sure they did, But to do so publicly would have been Suicide.

Being from Queens and having many Union Brothers who worked on the Twin Towers, I would have gotten a Medal or an Indictment .......
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOtab0BKOGY
    The Nation which forgets it's defenders will itself be forgotten
    You cannot make peace with dictators. You have to destroy them–wipe them out!

Blog Entries

Live with it Lefties, I watched the price of toilet paper go up as my investments went down under Barry. However, he was somehow the self proclaimed and MSM "Uniter" 'cause he had a beer party and shoved Obamacare down our throats among other things, such as foreign policy.
    Mojo
    I don't always exercise, but when I do it's my Constitutional right to bear arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin' View Post
    Live with it Lefties, I watched the price of toilet paper go up as my investments went down under Barry.
    LMAO!!

The value of the stock market tripled under Obama, so if your "investments went down" under Obama, you are either a very inept investor or relied on very inept advisors.
    THE DONALD FOR AMERICA

Blog Entries

My retirement portfolio has done extremely well. No complaints here. But I rely on professionals to make the big decisions and rely on their guidance. I don't use radio ads telling me to buy gold.

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    Gold was at 1,000 $USD in 2008, went to $1,900 by 2012--which is not a market endorsement of Obama-- and was at $USD 1,300 when the election of Donald Trump moved investor sentiment from "risk-off" investments" --like gold which dropped precipitously-- to "risk-on" investments like stocks which peaked as did the Dollar. Gold investments in the small gold miners or in leveraged indexed funds returned 1000+% returns and derivatives and futures much more during the run-up.

However. due to the lack of a coherent economic policy as we approach Inauguration is causing uncertainty in the markets and the $USD which peaked is backing off and markets are becoming choppy while gold is making a comeback due to the uncertainty.

See Kitco.com for various historic charts.

http://www.kitco.com/news/2017-01-12...certainty.html
    Last edited by MegalosSkylaki; January 12th, 2017 at 10:45 AM.
    FIRST TEN YEARS ANNIVERSARY HONOR ROLL
    this April 18th, 2014 and will be Officially Celebrated That Day! SEE http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...ml#post1070600

Prof. of DooGlian Studies MegalosSkylaki's Avatar
    It should be pointed out a variety of factors affect the price of gold worldwide other than an investor assessment of "Risk" with gold viewed as a safe-haven or "risk-off" investment as opposed to equities which are viewed as taking on risk (or "risk-on") investments.

In the United States we tend to view money as a means of exchange but in Asia it is viewed more as an asset to be accumulated in itself. Since gold is monetary in the sense that it can be exchanged for or accepted in payment for debts, gold in the Orient is heavily accumulated and in countries everywhere where monetary gold is illegal --such as the US- gold jewelry is a substitute for accumulation.

Last year, There was a rumor that the government of Indian PM Mohdri (sp?) was going to ban the import of gold along with requiring exchange of currency into new currency in an attempt to flush out and tax India's huge "shadow economy" that sent gold prices into a tail spin as India is the World's second largest importer of gold after Communist China.

Gold is also traded to a ratio with silver which is viewed as a semi-precious metal but silver because of its considerable industrial applications and because it is generally not profitable to mine by itself and is always mined in conjunction with something else like lead (or nickel?) that it is viewed as a base metal and follows the general industrial activity as would, say, copper. Historically silver traded at about 1/50 of he price of gold in US but because of the run-up of gold the more recent ratios were about 70 :1.

My own observation is that when gold assumes a monetary role in the United States with investors flocking to it that something is wrong with the economy or is perceived to be wrong. The run-up from $1000 to $1,800 followed the great bust of 2008 etc. This may not be as true in Asia where gold is viewed as the preferred depository of wealth. Gold--unlike silver--is the canary in the coal mine and as such has a psychological value. It will be one measure of the perceived "success" of the Trump administration with the caveat that it also a feather in the wind to 0nce-in-a-hundred-year events like 'Brexit'--which also caused a run-up in gold valuations.

Those who wish to invest in gold through the medium of gold miners should be forewarned that the large miners don't move much with the price of gold but with industrial activity and extraction efficiency. It is only the small gold miners that show an effect for gold prices and like many equity prices upward movement may be relatively modest but downward can be quick and dramatic. JNUG is a leveraged bull ETF and DUST is a 3X leveraged 'bear'.

Remember the word 'contango ' All leveraged funds are reset at the end of day and because of a mathematical peculiarity of multiplying by fractions, the curve will asymptote to zero at infinity. While derived from futures trading where it had a physical reality derived from the overhead of carrying charges, with leveraged ETF and ETN's it is a caution against long-term holdings.

https://www.jmbullion.com/investing-...tion-contango/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information