+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

[UD] Good News 'n' Bad News

<-------- Kind of one of those.

As some of you know, by day I'm a real estate novelist and accidental mathematician. By night I'm a musician and computer geek. I'm also a full-time UD cruncher and proud member of the Formerly Deranged Bovines.

What you may not know is that I've also had a rather lengthy career as a recording engineer/producer, etc., etc., and am now long retired. However, I've maintained a pretty nice studio in what used to be our living and dining rooms. My wife is the house drummer and graphics designer for Spiny Norman (our indescribable duet) and Little Silver Coaster Records. Both of these rooms house the better part of my UD herd.

My main, biggest fastest cow was actually built as an audio workstation. I've held off installing the specialized hardware and software until now, waiting for a few other things to come together. They did, finally, in the form of a pretty spendy microphone preamp and a couple of mikes that are just perfect for our voices and my guitar.

So, now I gotta put this thing together and start making some noise, or forever recant my claim to being a recording musician. That's the bad news. The worse news is that my general purpose machine which doubles as my number 2 workstation, upon which I'm writing this, has one of those cussed Delta fans on the HSF and it's gonna need to be turned off while I'm recording.

The good news is, I don't do this 24/7, two of the cows are quite quiet and I can work around the limited fan noise thy make, and two are in another room. So, while the big cow is down for a while while I once again tear my hair out trying to turn it into a recorder, the others will continue to crunch, and really, only when I'm in the midst of a project will the big cow be offline (and the #2 one also, when I've got mikes open).

The better news is that the big gonzo semiannual computerfest is happening next weekend, and I have a bit of space in the other room, as well as some room on a KVM switch, so I may be able to cobble something together to fill in for the part time big dawgy.

I gotta do this folks, it's who I am and have been since I was in footed pajamas, so I hope you'll understand. I'll still be crunchin' but not to the degree that I have been, at least on the weekends And, with a bit of luck, I can whip together a replacement and keep the output about the same.

If I come up with anything, musically speaking, that I'm not totally ashamed of, I'll send around an MP3, OK?
    Last edited by Tomteriffic; March 9th, 2002 at 10:28 PM.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

You're forgiven as long as you write us a theme song.

I would also like to point out that most of the folks on the team would actually like the sound of a delta fan in the background of a song. We're kinda geeky that way I guess.

since I was in footed pajamas,
    You mean you're not wearing them anymore??

You're forgiven as long as you write us a theme song.
    Yep! I second that!

And eventho your points are going to slow down,, We Still Luv Ya Man!

Aw shucks!

Let's see: "Cows are cracking on the cancer, molecules displayed"
    (Sung to the tune of "I've been working on the railroad')

or

"Pentium 3, AMD, even a couple of K-6-3's as the Mad Cows go cruching along" (To the tune of "As The Caissons Go Rolling Along")

Somebody stop me, I gotta go download some drivers!

and what tune its that sung too? ?
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

TT, you are one fun crazy hombre!

GilaM

Here's a suggestion that might keep you going, just put a little money into getting a new HS/F. Or maybe some here has an extra HS/F they would sell or better yet give to ya.

LK
    Want a portrait, drawing, mural or any other custom art? Contact my wife Mindy Herman @ -http://www.mindyherman.com/

Thanks for the thought, LittleKing, it's just a PITA to do that particular HSF, just getting that machine out of it's cubbyhole is an afternoon's work and the clip on the HSF is a bear, so, one of these days.....

In the meantime, my whiz-bang 10 in-10 out audio card does about 10 seconds of audio and locks up the whole system tighter than my boss' wallet.

Soooo, until I come up with some better ideas or another thousand bucks to blow.... (Does his VERY best Walter Brennan) "Get along little dogies...."

The new card locks up your machine????
    Maybe it's the software (if you are using one that came with the card) and not hardware!!!

Good luck with your recording and post a song!!!
    boo!

Eagle, it's actually an older card and the company, unfortunately, went out of business. The good news is that I have several friends that have this setup, one of which is running on an AMD platform, so I ought to be able to get it worked out.

The even better news is that I got it running pretty well as of about 4:30 AM where I am (the old studio rat all-nighter)

The Windows Media Player still locks the thing up, but, hey, that's not what I use this thing for

Now, to figure out how to get some sound into this thing. I'm also on a software learning curve here too.

In the meantime, the little dogies keep on crunchin'. Lost a couple of WU's l;ast night whilst fighting with the big one, but, hey, she's back on track now

What is a real estate novelist?
    LOL
    keep munchin TT

My bit of bad news is that most of the UD machines I have working ran out of work units this weekend.

The wireless Internet service went down because the local tower/antenna was blown over by high winds Saturday. They still don't have it fixed either. That's about 45 PCs that are still running idle.

AIEeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!

Quick, I think surreal is on the floor out cold!

ouch.. man u guys have either some strong winds.. or someone don't know how to put up towers..hahah

Tom.. it sounds cool.. do what you must.. u might also think about replacing the Delta screamer with a Panflow.. or some other quiet fan.. so it doesn't make so much noise.. whihc will be a nice thing for your ears in the long run.. I need to take my own advice though as my dual system has 2 120mm Delta fans and I can hear them in the front of the house.. and I sleep in the same room.. As I write this.. after 4 months.. and a few quiet doews for them.. I'm abotu to go mad.. god please help me! hehe need quiet fans fast.. err yeah =) I hear ha ha hear.. get it.. never mind =) I hear Panaflows are a good one to get.. anyone know? as my ears are almost gone from these things.. =)
    In life one must Chill

AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Whew...

Now that I got that out of my system...

mickwish
    I guess most of us are in a similar position to Tom, in a way. While I don't have his fancy machines to crunch thousands of points a day (I wish! ), I have a small herd I tend, on which UD needs to fit into other uses and tweaks for these PC's.

For example, last night I had to tear down one old PC which has recently had a P233 added to replace the now defunct Cyrix PR200 (which won't run the new agent in any way, shape or form, it seems), and take out the "new" P233 to put it into a machine for my wife (a funky Presario 4402 "all-in-one"), and swap the P133 back into the old cow (not the wife - I never thought that even! ), as well as change soem RAM so the cow has a bit less now and the Presario has more. The Presario is not yet on the home LAN (being in a part of house as yet unwired - another job for a weekend coming up), so won't be able to run UD at this stage.

This ramble does have a point - that while I am dedicated (like Tom is obviously) to running UD and doing my bit in the search for a cancer cure, other things sometimes take my cows away from this job temporarily. And I have to juggle and balance this as best I can - that's the best any of us can do.

The day when I say "It's too hard" will be a very sad day, so I'll keep juggling and help in this important project as best I can.

Hey, that was a bit serious wasn't it! What's happening to me?

In no particular order:

"Real Estate Novelist" is a line out of Billy Joel's breakthrough hit "Piano Man". by day, I do appraisals on commercial and industrial real estate. The reports that I generate after I come up with a value, typically run 70 pages or more, and can get upward of 130 or so. So, I'm writing a small book about somebody else's real estate. Thus, I appropriated the real estate novelist handle.

Also, as you might imagine, there's some pretty extensive mathematics going on, and even though I don't particularly fancy math, I happen to be reasonably good at it. They tell me that musicians are naturally good at this kind of thing, juggling several variables in their head, etc., so, that's why I refer to myself as an accidental mathematician. Never set out to be one, I just wound up that way. The good news is all of my numbers have dollar signs in front of them The bad news is that the dollars are somebody else's

I've got a HSF picked out for the noisy cow, an all-copper one with a not very obnoxious fan. I have one on the audio workstation which has a Birdy XP1600 running at 1800 speed inside, and it's doing quite nicely, so on a P3 with the tiniest of overclocks, it ought to be more than adequate. I just have to wait for it to get here and then to find the time to extract this thing from its installation, tear it open and do it. Think I'll kill the hard drive bay cooler too, since there's no screaming 10,000 RPM SCSI drive in there any more.

We got some SERIOUS wind in our parts, and I was amazed we didn't lose power or some other catastrophic happenstance yesterday or today. Hope they get you back in the loop and get those cows milked and fed real soon DVNT

Hey, y'all, I'm sort of playing around with ballpark ideas for a Formerly Deranged Bovine team song. I'm thinking simple melody, sort of a rousing beat and tempo, and lyrics that lie somewhere between "rah-rah-yay-Cows" and perhaps just a touch of "Smarta$$" just to make it fun. Sort of a cross between a campfire song and, I dunno, a march or something. Any thoughts? I'm good with tunes, not so swift as that on lyrics.

Anyway, the herd's back at full strength until I dive back into the audio software learning curve, whenever the Terpsichorean Muse grabs me by my skinny little neck like a, ummmmmm, I dunno.... maybe like a.... MAD COW????

That's cool by me. I don't even run my cows during the night (since I live in a one-room apartment and can't sleep with noisy fans on). I'd like to know more about your audio workstation setup. What kind of gear you have in it, and so on...
    This is The SignatureŠ

We got some SERIOUS wind in our parts, and I was amazed we didn't lose power or some other catastrophic happenstance yesterday or today
    I'm within an hour drive from Dayton so I imagine we saw about the same crazy winds

I've got a HSF picked out for the noisy cow, an all-copper one with a not very obnoxious fan.
    And you're going to tell us what brand etc it is right??

What? Speak up!

Yep, I'm going nuts over the noise here on the farm.
    I can hear one of them with the door to the barn closed!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information