+ Reply to Thread
    Administrator

UD SMP or two intances on dual system..

Okay, I have read that UD doesn't support SMP, but I've also read that two instances can be run under Win XP to take advantage of both processors in a dual system. What about Win2k? I've actually managed to run two services, one other admin, one under a user, but only one of them seems to be in use or at least, it's still only using one processor.

So, what's the scoop on using both processors for UD under Win2k?

Well there is someway that you assign processes to different processors or something like that. Never messed with a duallie setup so I can't say much beyond that...

Was this really worth a post?

Cody

Edit: BTW I wasn't talking about Scott's post... I was talking about mine...

http://forum.ud.com/ubbcgi/ultimateb...c;f=6;t=004386

Scott, I think the above thread may give you more info.

GilaM

is that the one I sent u a while back Gila? anyway.. u should be able to run 2 copies.. thing is.. to start them one at a time.. using the trick above.. if that's the same link I sent Gila before.. and then setting the agent to use only CPU 0.. then logging in as another user.. and starting the client in the second folder.. and setting it to use CPU 1 thge key.. use 2 different installs.. in folders of diferent names.. and in case.. rename the exe to ud1.exe and ud2.exe.. there was also a program out that disabled UD from stopping you from starting another instant of UD.. so if it was still out.. think its name was UD Tool.. u could set the clients to not see one another.. install them to differnt folders.. and set the CPU acordanly.. u must make sure you set the afinity for each client.. or other wise.. one will only get 100 and the other maybe 4 %..

let us know what u find out.. I never tried it out.. as my dual system was devoted to running a few other DC projects along with UD.. not UD alone..
    In life one must Chill

And why couldn't you do the same thing with just one processor?
    Renaming the programs? Especially in XP? when you have users that log on?
    What would be the difference between doing that and Eccp and UD.. It's the same kind of work distribution you described as I have running UD and Eccp ??
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

mickwish
    I think running UD and ECCp is different from running two instances of UD, from how Thud explained it to me. Without more than one processor the two instances of UD would be fighting for control over the one CPU, and probably cancelling each other out or something. Check the link Gila posted for more on running multiple instances of UD. Very informative.

Cheers
    Mick

I've never tried 2 instances of ud on one cpu, but I haved tried 2 copies of genome on a 1gig cele with 512 ram! Didn't much care for it! I was able to run both copies at the same time but it sure didn't perform very well!
    I do have 2 copies of genome on the dual 933, each has it's own cpu along with ud and sengent.
    I do best on the dual with 1 copy of UD, I copy of genome and 1 copy of sengent running at the same time!

GilaM

hee hee, I''m a RAM freak. I've got a gig in one of my boxes.. (good way to store ram till you need it )
    ah I was just wisfull thinking.
    I could never kill off Eccp to try and run 2 UD's anyway.. Just don't have the heart.

Thanks GilaM
    "Sometimes life is just what we make it."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information