+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Well, you can run them both simultaneously. I'm not ATM, since it'd be a waste since I'm transferring everything over to WS 2003 as soon as my first WU is submitted. You wont lose any stats, and you can even run multiple clients on different computers to add to your stats. All you need to do is configure them all to use your username, and team #.

And for the GPU client thing, only ATI x1650s, x1800s, x1900s, and x1950s work well. I'm not sure about the newer ones, but it's probably similar. The best folding scores were reported with x1950 XTXs in crossfire IIRC. NVidia GPUs aren't architecturally fit for folding ATM, so F@H isn't releasing a GPU client for NVidia GPUs.

Also, a portion of the CPU is needed to run the GPU client. This means that if you have a dual core processor, you need to have at least one core that has some free clocks. I've heard that the best combination is to run both CPU clients at 70%, and the GPU client will function fine at 100%. I'm not sure what the optimum configuration is for quad core though...

And my last few times are:

Code:
    [05:52:17] Completed 62%
    [06:00:27] Completed 63%
    [06:08:36] Completed 64%
    Last edited by him61; March 21st, 2008 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
    Speaking of which, where is he?
    He hasn't posted in this thread yet. Did you send him a PM to Dude?

I wonder how many machines he's got going too. That's alot of points just for one machine...
    Well finally showed up on the stats and it looks like it was the smp wu which showed up first. Its the same score as no1 vern. So it seems like he is running an smp box with a smp client. Hope he can throw another bone in the fray and crank up the heat.

http://kakaostats.com/t.php?t=111

BTW, another box completed two wu about an hour ago but could not connect to the server, the client downloaded another set of wu and started crunching. It tries to reconnect to the receiving server every 15 or so.

Also check your client until satisfied that it is stable to make sure the box is not dumping wu every five minutes. FAH has been in the DC for over 6 years, their client are mature and stable. If your box is crashing and burning wu, its your box not the client. Take a deep breath and see what is cranked up and burping the wu.

e
    Last edited by engracio; March 21st, 2008 at 10:13 AM.

HA HA! I am finally up as active on the stats!

Rank /Nick /Dump /Total
    1 PS3 1,810 215,939
    2 no1_vern 1,312 824,019
    3 ihatereading369 357 126,182
    4 J-Marc 334 24,899
    5 Karmakiller 309 2,999
    6 engracio 251 495,460
    7 Chuckiechan 238 168,924
    8 mrniceguytech 196 67,603
    9 Cruiserlck 125 874
    10 enjoiyourself 89 625
    -----------------------
    New 4 (-3 )
    Active 19 (+5 )
    Inactive 225
    Total 244 (+4 )
    Avg PPD 278.1
    -----------------------
    Next Overtake:

Team: Humanists, Atheists and Freethinkers
    Deficit: -37,455
    ETA: 2.2 Weeks

It appears that PS3 gets the hotpants again . . . for a three-peat. Cant we beat him? Itsw good that hes doing so much. I winder who that is.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    eh, I guess I could switch the rest of my stuff over to this.

So, if you run one instance of the windows graphical client it won't neccessarily utilize both of your cores? I haven't run this thing in a long time, do you install 2 of the text clients on a dual core?

Quote Originally Posted by mrniceguy View Post
    eh, I guess I could switch the rest of my stuff over to this.

So, if you run one instance of the windows graphical client it won't neccessarily utilize both of your cores? I haven't run this thing in a long time, do you install 2 of the text clients on a dual core?
    Yes, make sure that each client has its own machine id. Right now the default is 4 per box, ie machine id 1,2,3, and 4. Console are the most efficient client but you do have to keep it open.

If for whatever reason you have duplicate machine id or copied over from another box, the client will puke and dump all your work.

mrniceguy

If you run the smp client on a q6600 you will only have 1 console open not 4 like the standard client. If you want to run less tha 4 because of other uses, then you have to manually run it.

On my core dou e6300, I run the smp client and it is running 4 clients with each client getting about 33% cpu from both core. It does more than twice the time it takes a 4 core would

mrniceguy - that would be a great boost to the team. Would you be able to take the hotpants back from PS3? I think they fit him well . . .

I have an apology to make. It appears that PS3 has gotten the hotpants on accident, as I was reading the stats page wrong. Man I feel like an idiot.

With regard to points yesterday, not the size of the last dump,

the hotpants go to engracio

Well done. A round of applause!

Blog Entries
    have you tried the beta windows multiple processor version? I'd prefer to have a windows thing where I can tell it to pause the work, half of the computers I fold on are used at the family business.

have you tried the beta windows multiple processor version? I'd prefer to have a windows thing where I can tell it to pause the work, half of the computers I fold on are used at the family business.
    Nah, just got back to folding less than 48 hours ago. Yes, you might have to just run one less core than what the box is capable if you have to, but normal usage the client will give back all processor power the box needs. Your call.

Blog Entries
    gah, I hate not being sure of what I'm doing with a program, but I guess I'll find out.

I now have it running on 2 e6600s, 3 celeron machines, a 3800+, and soon a 3800x2

oh, and the playstation.

gah, I hate not being sure of what I'm doing with a program, but I guess I'll find out.

I now have it running on 2 e6600s, 3 celeron machines, a 3800+, and soon a 3800x2

oh, and the playstation.
    oops I thought you have q6600 not e6600. That is why I keep on asking about smp client. On single processor boxes the graphical clients should crunch normally when not being used.

Let me read up some more on the graphical and smp clients. I do know that running smp client as a service was a nogo for me, so I just created a shortcut on the startup. Running it on all of my boxes e6300 or higher. It only creates one console and run four clients.

Blog Entries
    ya I just realized fighting with things that you can't run the smp beta as a service, so that's a definite no go on the business comp but I can keep that up on my e6600.

Just finished reading the FAQ for graphical client, I think it would be perfect for the business boxes since it sits on the systray and just crunch on leftover cpu juice. Click on the icon and opens it up for peeking purposes and minimize back to systray. I did not read if it would run two processes for a dual core box.

Blog Entries
    lol, what I thought was a dual core 3800 turns out to be a single core 3200. well it's running after alot of fussing, does running as a service work with any of the console clients? when I tried it with the 3200 through remote desktop it showed 98% idle

I ended up just running it normal through startup and it got to it, but that's kinda irritating.

Super F@D Folder
    lol, what I thought was a dual core 3800 turns out to be a single core 3200. well it's running after alot of fussing, does running as a service work with any of the console clients? when I tried it with the 3200 through remote desktop it showed 98% idle

I ended up just running it normal through startup and it got to it, but that's kinda irritating.
    To set it up as a service for a windows machine here's what i do. I make the fah folder in program files, run the exe, configure it, and then let it start (write all the files and begin the first work unit). Once that's done I close the console, open up services.msc, and start the service. That should work for you!

-Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by sr71000 View Post
    To set it up as a service for a windows machine here's what i do. I make the fah folder in program files, run the exe, configure it, and then let it start (write all the files and begin the first work unit). Once that's done I close the console, open up services.msc, and start the service. That should work for you!

-Kevin
    That will do

Blog Entries
    Home from work!
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Blog Entries
    I just restarted the computer after I got it going and it said 98% under system idle process.

Blog Entries
    ^ Uh oh...
    So which client are you running?

And why are people having problems with the SMP client?

EDIT:

Also congrats to Engracio!
    Last edited by KarmaKiller; March 21st, 2008 at 07:16 PM.
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

I'm running the Gui client but it is slow. Funny thing is when i look at task manager it shows 1 core maxed out and 2other cores at about 50% and then it says core usage 25% I'm gonna mess with the smp when i get time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information