+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Folding@Home FAQ's

So you've heard all of this talk about folding, and want to know what it is. Well my friend, this is the thread for you!

What is folding@home?
    Folding@home is a world wide distribute computing project, ran by Stanford University. It uses advanced computing methods, on the millions of PC's running this piece of software, to try to figure out how proteins fold, or "misfold". When they misfold, it can lead to some well known and world wide diseases. (Examples being Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers.) This program tries to solve and cure these misfolding proteins.

How can I help?

You visit Stanfords page, here, and download the client that corresponds with your system. There are many different clients for the many different systems out there. Running this program some of the time, or all of the time will help. Any/Every contribution helps!

How do I join the TechIMO team?
    You download the software, and upon setup, when asked for a team number, you type in 111. That is TechIMO's team number. It's that simple.

Which client is right for me?
    It all depends on your system.
    Single Core systems:
    WinXP/2003/Vista System Tray - Version 6.20 - Install instructions

WinXP/2003/Vista Console Client - Version 6.20 - Install instructions

Linux (x86) and BSD *combined uniprocessor and SMP client* (64-bit required for SMP) - Version 6.02 - Install instructions (single core) (SMP)

Dual/Quad Core Systems:
    See here
    Folding@Home FAQ's

You can also run Folding on your graphics card too!
    Nvidia cards:
    a GeForce, Quadro, or Tesla card that supports CUDA (G80 or later for the most part)
    A CUDA capable driver, version 177.92 is recommend. Folding Application included with driver download.

Windows operating system (32 or 64 bit), XP or newer (better Vista and 64-bit support coming soon)
    ATI Cards:
    2xxx/3xxx ATI Video Card, or newer
    ATI Driver v8.1+, v8.3 or newer recommended
    AGP GPU aperture size in the BIOS must be set to 128 MB or larger
    Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, with updates recommended
    Windows operating system, XP or newer
    Processor with SSE2 support to feed the GPU
    ■Download:See this post!
    (thanks 2Monsters)
    Note: If you want to run the GPU client along with the SMP client, you have to dedicate one processor core just for the GPU. This will insure your GPU is getting all the work it wants. If you have problems/questions setting up any of the above versions, feel free to PM me or another team member with questions.

What are these points I keep hearing about?
    For every work unit (WU) you finish, there is a set amount of points that's given to you for completing that WU. These points basically show how much a person has contributed to the project. Points are kept track of by Stanford University, and you can check them on multiple pages.
    Individual Overall Rank - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats
    Kakao Stats - Folding@Home - Teams Ranking
    Folding@Home

Does folding slow down my computer?
    Short answer, no. Folding only uses "idle" clock cycles. So whatever percent of your processor that your not using, that's what folding will use.
    ie- your using 60% of your CPU, folding will use 40%

What is PPD?
    PPD (points per day) is a quick estimate of how many points per day your system is netting. The easiest and best way to figure this out is with FahMon. This is a small app that keeps track of your clients for you. It also gives you a rough estimate of how many points your netting.

How do I get the most PPD for my system?
    ■If you are able to run GPU2, then that is the current fastest client.
    ■Run SMP if you can.
    ■ Another less known way is to fold in linux. The linux client is up to 15% more efficient then the windows counterpart. Check post 4 of this thread. (thanks sky!)

Help, I can't get it setup right!
    Drop a visit to our "Distribute Computing Section" and start a thread. Include as many details as you can, including system specs and what you've tried. There are many experienced heads on this site that are willing to help.

How do you get the stats in your signature?
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRich View Post
    Spurred by a recommendation from Flying JJ, I have added a stats signature feature for Folding@home TechIMO distributed computing team members.

It is a simple signature edit. The team ID is hardcoded for TechIMO, so just insert your Folding@home username between the BB code tags. For example, the code for Flying JJ is:

[fah]FlyingJJ[/fah]

Which yields:

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

The statistical portion of the signature is rendered as an image, but its default format is mostly text in presentation, thus still complying with the spirit of our existing signature policy.

Thanks to Flying JJ for the idea, and thanks to the Folding@home EXTREME Overclocking team, as we are using their freely provided signature generator to power the code.
    Why should I fold?
    If you have a high powered machine that sits and does nothing all day, then why not? You might notice a slight increase in your electricity bill if you have multiple systems running, but that is the only draw back. Your donating your PC for the greater good of mankind, and it may possibly turn out to help a loved one or yourself down the road. Your are taking part in creating one of the largest super computers known to man. And it's all in the name of medical research. What better cause is there?

Again I stress, if you are having problems, or have any questions, please feel free to PM me or another folding team member. Or you can drop by our "FadChat" threads and ask there.

Last edited by KarmaKiller; January 15th, 2010 at 10:33 AM. Reason: updated downloads
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Updating from F@H 5.92beta to 6.22beta client and GPU6.11 to GPU6.20

This is for the Deino MPI client:

Folding@home - DownloadWinOther

-Stop the current client by pressing CTRL+C (either after completion or in the middle of wu completion).
    -Open your current folder (that you used to run 5.91/5.92 smp client).
    -Unzip the new 6.22beta2 executable in the same folder or unzip/extract the zip file to its own folder and copy all files to the 5.91/5.92 folder.
    -Rename the new client 6.22beta2 executable to fah6.
    -Run the new executable with the -configonly flag then check the configuration (there are some new fields added).
    -Create a new shortcut for the new client and replace the old startup shortcut.
    -Restart the client as usual.

-The old 5.92 client will expire tomorrow 2 Aug 2008.
    -The 6.22 client is capable of being use as single core without the -smp argument or multiple core with -smp argument.
    -The new client has several new -configuration field added. The client arguments like -smp, -verbosity 9, -forceasm or -oneunit. The argument can now be either put on the client config or on the shortcut like the 5.92 client.

The same process also applies to the GPU clients which also expires as the smp client.

Let's go FOLD!!!!!
    Last edited by engracio; August 1st, 2008 at 08:56 PM.

Dual GPU client on XP

Stanford have an official how to install for dual gpu clients under Windows XP. This instructions is for the Nvidia console version.

Folding@home - WinGPUGuide

-Install the first video card and Nvidia CUDA drivers with at least the 177.35 version as per instruction above.

-Ensure that the card is stable and able to complete wu.

-Install the second video card and install the driver.

-Right click on any part of your windows desktop and left click on properties

-Click on settings tab and click on number two or second display (you would not see this if you only have one video card installed)

-Click/check on box "Extend my windows desktop into this display". Click apply/ok and the second video card will be recognize by Windows XP. Vista is different and must have a dummy plug or actual monitor attached to video card before you can extend/recognize the second video card.

-On gpu0 folder run -configonly and change the additional client parameters to -gpu 0 for the first video card. The system recognizes the first video card as -gpu 0

-On the second video card folder run -configonly and ensure that the client have a different machine id other than the default id of 2 which is more than likely the machine id for gpu 0. Machine id 3 is acceptable.

-The parameter -gpu 1 must be added to again separate the first video card from the second. If you are lucky to have multiple video cards -gpu 2 or the third, gpu 3 are next.

-Create a shortcut for each client i.e. gpu60 and gpu61 and add to start up and monitor both gpu client until satisfied they are stable. Watch ppd increase in the next couple of days.

On my 8800GS I am able to OC the first video card using the EVGA Precision video card overclocking proggie. I use RivaTuner on my second video card as the overclocking proggie.
    Last edited by engracio; November 1st, 2008 at 11:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sky King View Post

When you install folding, all it does is place two executables in the folder you install into: fah6 and mpich. There really is no extension (like EXE) in linux. Files are files, and any file that can "run" will have the execute attribute set in its properties.

I have a folder called "folding" that the 2 files ended up in after install. It is located in my default user profile or "home" folder, which is where you end up by default when you open a terminal session or file browser.

So, I open a terminal window. (In the applications menu under accessories). This opens with a command prompt (not unlike DOS or CMD in windows) with you sitting in your home directory. So step one, I go to the folding folder:

> cd /folding

Then I execute the folder:

> ./fah6 -smp -forceasm -verbosity 9

If you just want to set the configs the first time, you go

> ./fah6 -smp -configonly

If you want to configure it the first time and then just start running:

> ./fah6 -smp -forceasm -verbosity 9 -config

It creates the work files, the queues, etc. by itself.

One note... on linux, the A2 core does not clean up after itself correctly and thus each WU leaves 2 files behind. Once 9 pairs of these files stack up (9 WUs) you have hanging problems, so every few days I go in and manually delete the 2 stranded files per WU.

To share the folding folder so that FAHspy can see it, right click on it and select sharing and select the options you want. If SAMBA isn't running, it downloads it, installs it, and sets it to autostart for you all with one click. Sweet. But at first it didn't work. It tursn out that FAHspy must be able to see your config file, and for some reason I had to manually set the share permissions on that one file manually, who knows. But once set you can use fahMON or FAHspy to monitor just like any Windows box.
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    OOooooh, I didn't know that there this thread was here...

I'll add it to my sig before I forget....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Blog Entries
    I have edited the forum welcome private message for newly registered members to include a Folding@home mention and a link to this thread for more info.
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Thanks RR...!
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Blog Entries
    Awesome. Thanks RR.
    I'll get on making a full SMP/GPU guide now.. lol
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Blog Entries
    -How to setup and run SMP-
    **note, this is how I personally setup/install SMP. You don't have to follow these exact steps, but this is the easiest way I've found

Step 1:
    First off, make sure you have a password for your Windows User Account. You can set this up via the control panel>User accounts.

Step 2:
    Make sure you disable any firewall to begin with. Later you can go back and add exceptions to allow SMP through it.

Step 3:
    Create a folder named "Folding" and with in that, Create a folder named "SMP"
    -- I usually create the folder under "My Documents"
    -- I would advise you keep this out of "C:/Program Files" for Vista/7.

Step 4:
    Download the corresponding SMP download for your system.- also currently there is a drop in Binary, make sure you also download that.

Step 5:
    UnZip the folding download to your "SMP" folder you made.

Step 6:
    Drop in the new binary into your "SMP" folder
    --you should be prompted to "Move and Replace" which is what you want.

Step 7:
    Open up a command prompt window. Make sure you open it as admin for Vista/Win 7.
    A) Navigate to your "SMP" folder. You do this by typing "cd C:/file path"

B) Once your in the "SMP" directory, type in "install.bat" and hit enter.
    --You should be prompted to "allow" here, click yes.
    C) Hit "enter" once for the username (should already be set) then when prompted for the password, enter your windows user account password. If done properly, you should see "MPI is working" 2 times.

Step 8:
    Now that MPI is setup, we're almost done. Now navigate to where you placed you "SMP" folder, and right click on the folding icon, click on "create shortcut"

A)Right click on the shortcut that you just made, and go to "properties"
    B) At the end of the "target" line, add in 1 space, then "-smp"
    C) Click "Apply"

Step 9:
    Double click on the shortcut to run SMP. You should be taxing out all available CPU cores.

Questions, comments welcome.

Last edited by KarmaKiller; October 23rd, 2009 at 10:17 AM.
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Thanks for that Karma, I'll set to swapping over the multiple instances, as long as it is still possibubble to run it as a service - otherwise I think I shall be leaving them as they are...
    (If you can just confirm that...)

Blog Entries
    It still has the option in setup to run as a service, so I don't see why it wouldn't work. But again, I never set them up to run like that, so I really haven't the slightest of clues.
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar

The Best Card

Quote Originally Posted by KarmaKiller View Post
    So you've heard all of this talk about folding, and want to know what it is. Well my friend, this is the thread for you!

What is folding@home?
    Folding@home is a world wide distribute computing project, ran by Stanford University. It uses advanced computing methods, on the millions of PC's running this piece of software, to try to figure out how proteins fold, or "misfold". When they misfold, it can lead to some well known and world wide diseases. (Examples being Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, Parkinson's disease, and many Cancers.) This program tries to solve and cure these misfolding proteins.

How can I help?
    You visit Stanfords page, here, and download the client that corresponds with your system. There are many different clients for the many different systems out there. Running this program some of the time, or all of the time will help. Any/Every contribution helps!

How do I join the TechIMO team?
    You download the software, and upon setup, when asked for a team number, you type in 111. That is TechIMO's team number. It's that simple.

Which client is right for me?
    It all depends on your system.
    Single Core systems:
    WinXP/2003/Vista System Tray - Version 6.20 - Install instructions

WinXP/2003/Vista Console Client - Version 6.20 - Install instructions

Linux (x86) and BSD *combined uniprocessor and SMP client* (64-bit required for SMP) - Version 6.02 - Install instructions (single core) (SMP)

Dual/Quad Core Systems:
    See here
    Folding@Home FAQ's

You can also run Folding on your graphics card too!
    Nvidia cards:
    ATI Cards:
    ■Download:See this post!
    (thanks 2Monsters)
    Note: If you want to run the GPU client along with the SMP client, you have to dedicate one processor core just for the GPU. This will insure your GPU is getting all the work it wants. If you have problems/questions setting up any of the above versions, feel free to PM me or another team member with questions.

What are these points I keep hearing about?
    For every work unit (WU) you finish, there is a set amount of points that's given to you for completing that WU. These points basically show how much a person has contributed to the project. Points are kept track of by Stanford University, and you can check them on multiple pages.
    Individual Overall Rank - EXTREME Overclocking Folding @ Home Stats
    Kakao Stats - Folding@Home - Teams Ranking
    Folding@Home

Does folding slow down my computer?
    Short answer, no. Folding only uses "idle" clock cycles. So whatever percent of your processor that your not using, that's what folding will use.
    ie- your using 60% of your CPU, folding will use 40%

What is PPD?
    PPD (points per day) is a quick estimate of how many points per day your system is netting. The easiest and best way to figure this out is with FahMon. This is a small app that keeps track of your clients for you. It also gives you a rough estimate of how many points your netting.

How do I get the most PPD for my system?
    ■If you are able to run GPU2, then that is the current fastest client.
    ■Run SMP if you can.
    ■ Another less known way is to fold in linux. The linux client is up to 15% more efficient then the windows counterpart. Check post 4 of this thread. (thanks sky!)

Help, I can't get it setup right!
    Drop a visit to our "Distribute Computing Section" and start a thread. Include as many details as you can, including system specs and what you've tried. There are many experienced heads on this site that are willing to help.

Why should I fold?
    If you have a high powered machine that sits and does nothing all day, then why not? You might notice a slight increase in your electricity bill if you have multiple systems running, but that is the only draw back. Your donating your PC for the greater good of mankind, and it may possibly turn out to help a loved one or yourself down the road. Your are taking part in creating one of the largest super computers known to man. And it's all in the name of medical research. What better cause is there?

Again I stress, if you are having problems, or have any questions, please feel free to PM me or another folding team member. Or you can drop by our "FadChat" threads and ask there.

KK,

What is the absolute top of the line card. I like my nVidia and ATI cards but they are mid range and I want to raise my PPD as high as possible. I have a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P mobo and am unsure if if will hold dual cards or not.

I rely on you for the good stuff. Great post above!

Thanks,
    Three things cannot be long hidden: The Sun, The Moon and The Truth - Buddha

The 295 co-op FTW. would be the best so far. FTW is just a factory overclocked card. You may get the same overclock out of a stock 295 co-op but then again you may not ( probably not ). The 285 and 275's are also real good folders. My 275 FTW's have hit 10kppd each depending on what WU's they get.
    Vi per Concordiam

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying JJ View Post
    The 295 co-op FTW. would be the best so far. FTW is just a factory overclocked card. You may get the same overclock out of a stock 295 co-op but then again you may not ( probably not ). The 285 and 275's are also real good folders. My 275 FTW's have hit 10kppd each depending on what WU's they get.
    ^ JJ is right
    For the time being, it's the 295's. When the new nvidia card drops (Q1 of next year hopefully) it will be the fastest card out on the market.
    295's are essentially 2x 275's. So it would take 2x of 275's to equal 1x 295. But the 295 only uses a single PCI 2.0 slot.
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Your motherboard is a Crossfire Capable board, has 2 PCIE Slots that can be used for Video cards, you won't want to run them in Crossfire since F@H doesn't support Crossfire or SLI, you'll need to run the cards independently, but you should be able to run 2 Nvidia or 2 ATI cards with out a problem, only limitation would be what Power Supply you have for the system, or upgrade that if needed, and room in your case, as well as ventilation for cooling.

not sure what the PPD is for the New Radeon 5800 Series, but they are the Top end Gaming Cards on the market, assuming Nvidia is the best still for PPD production, the Best single GPU card for Nvidia would be one of the GTX 285's Like I'm running. bit more affordable would be the GTX 275, just get one with a high clock speed, and good potential Shader Clock Overclock speed.

A Single GTX 285 with a very slight Factory OC like mine has, gets anywhere from 7000 PPD to 9000 PPD depending on the jobs.

as good as the 285 is, I'd probably grab 2 275's or something, or even look into the new EVGA GTX 275 Coop Edition, it has a Single GTX 275 GPU for Gaming, and a single GTS 250 for PhysX processing, I think they can be run for Folding using both GPU's, but I haven't read anything on that right now, KK might know more about those right now.

With the GT 300's, top card rumored/expected to debut soon, and the lower/midrange cards rumored to be out in the Spring, best thing would be to not spend so much on a top end card right now, and grab one or two slightly lower speed ones.

if the specs and performance of those cards, GT 300, live up to the "Hype" just one card should be more powerful than 2 GTX 285's run together but Independently. With 512 Stream Processors and smaller Fabrication process, should use less power and less heat than 2 285's would use (GTX 275 and 285 each have 240 Stream processors, 2 of them would be 480, which If I remember right the rumored GTX 380 will have 512, about 6 or 7% more than 2 285's now).

if Money is no object, I'd grab 2 GTX 275's (as high a clock speed as you can find), or 2 GTX 285's (as high a clock speed as you can find), and run those, just don't grab one of each, running them together like that would reduce your optimal PPD production.

^ JJ is right
    For the time being, it's the 295's. When the new nvidia card drops (Q1 of next year hopefully) it will be the fastest card out on the market.
    295's are essentially 2x 275's. So it would take 2x of 275's to equal 1x 295. But the 295 only uses a single PCI 2.0 slot.
    But if I remember right when you had your 9800GX2's you couldn't get both GPU's to perform to their optimal PPD.

one GPU would output less than the other or something like that.

wouldn't the same thing be a factor with the 295's?

in which case grabbing 2 single GPU cards would be in ones best interest.

Blog Entries
    NO, it was when I added another GPU to the mix with the GX2. But even that is fixed now with the new core stanford put out a month or so back.
    So technically, for a single PCI 2.0 slot, the 295's are king.

(oh and the new HD5xxx series lives up to the crappy folding still. But when GPU3 comes it, they are supposed to get MUCH better. But nothing is for sure yet)
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

well, just posted about it in the spam thread, but just added a cheap ($41) 9600GSO to my total "herd" so hopefully that'll be going online in the coming month some time with the 9800GTX and GTX 285. should bring me up to or close to 20K PPD with all 3 going.

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar

GTX 295

^ JJ is right
    In New Egg right now. There is a GTX295 from GIGABYTE with 1792 MB and 896 ( 448 x 2 )bit. 2.0 x 16 for $509

Thoughts. JJ and Shy, you guys are a great help too. i have read everything and want to hit the button so it hits Amex before midnight.

Thanks,

Give me a URL if there is a better way to go,,,
    Three things cannot be long hidden: The Sun, The Moon and The Truth - Buddha

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Networker4321 View Post
    In New Egg right now. There is a GTX295 from GIGABYTE with 1792 MB and 896 ( 448 x 2 )bit. 2.0 x 16 for $509

Thoughts. JJ and Shy, you guys are a great help too. i have read everything and want to hit the button so it hits Amex before midnight.

Thanks,

Give me a URL if there is a better way to go,,,
    For a couple more dollars you can get a EVGA Co-op card. Which EVGA has a MUCH better warranty and customer service should the worst happen. And the "co-op" version of the card runs cooler, and will overclock better. The main difference is instead of each core being on a separate PCB like "normal" 295's. Both GPU cores are on the same "board". It's newer tech.
    Newegg.com - EVGA 017-P3-1295-AR CO-OP Edition GeForce GTX 295 1792MB 896 (448 x 2)-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Make sure you have a beefy power supply though. This card will tax it!

But from looking at your board, you have available 2x PCI 2.0 slots. So you could save a little bit of money and pick up a couple of 275's like JJ and Shy mentioned. You'd be getting about the same PPD as a single 295, and probably save ~$60 or so doing it. If you like the was that sounds then I'd suggest these:
    Newegg.com - PNY VCGGTX275XPB GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Again, make sure your PSU is up to the job. These things are THE most power hungry components in your tower.

Good luck!
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information