Thread: Folding Help
May 25th, 2009, 05:25 PM #1
I don't really know where to ask these so here goes.
I am interested in joining the folding team but have some concerns. I can not let the computer on as I have 3 small children in the house. Does the program start by itself or do I have to start it when I am on?
I am not as "tech literate" as most on the forum, but do have some knowledge, what system or program do I need?
Any help would be appreciated. If this is not the right place for this, please redirect me.
JD, JJ's dad
May 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM #2
I know exactly what you are trying to do (I do the same myself)...
I've loaded the latest relevant EXE file (albeit renamed to show as a .DOC as we can't upload EXE files - you just need to rename it to .EXE) to this
What I personally do is to create a folder on the root of the C: drive and call it F@H, I then save/move/whatever that file into there. If I'm installing on a computer that has multiple CPU cores, I create the appropriate number of folders (numbered 1 --> whatever..) and move a copy into each.
I then open a command prompt and follow the installation instructions. Bear in mind that you will need to change the answer/s when asked:
- You would want to set the first answer (username) to be whatever name you decide to call yourself.
- The second answer (Team) would need to be "111" - but without quotation marks.
- "Change advanced settings" --> Yes. This will allow you to change the settings that you would like to change to enable it to run as a service and other things..
- You might want to change the CPU usage one. The default is for F@H to use 100% of the CPU, I normally drop this to something around 20-30%
- Launch automatically, install as a service in this directory --> Yes. This means that the application will automatically start whenever the computer is started up - rather than having to remember to start it off yourself...or tell others to...!
- Machine ID. The default is for it to use #1, but if you are configuring it like I do, then you would want to use a number that relates to the folder it runs from.
- There is an answer that I change (but I can't remember where) that asks whether to run when the CPU is "low or idle" - I always set this to LOW, not too sure how much difference it makes, if any...!
Otherwise, lets get folding for a cure..!
May 25th, 2009, 06:19 PM #3
- Join Date
- Feb 2007
- Blog Entries
May 25th, 2009, 06:51 PM #4
Would it still fold if I just locked it instead of turning it off? I am running the Windows 7 op system.
May 26th, 2009, 04:33 AM #5
If it is running as a service, it doesn't matter whether you log in or not, whether you log out or not, whether you lock the computer or not...... As long as the computer is powered up.....
May 26th, 2009, 08:53 PM #6
Thanks Nude. The reason I want to do this is because with the 3 kids, I don't want them on this computer at all. It is a new build and they have one that is good enough for what they do -- games for a 4 & 6 year old.
May 27th, 2009, 03:57 AM #7
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By eagle1 in forum Distributed ComputingReplies: 19Last Post: June 18th, 2008, 04:46 PM
By angelcat in forum Distributed ComputingReplies: 3Last Post: July 30th, 2002, 08:50 PM
By angelcat in forum Distributed ComputingReplies: 7Last Post: April 6th, 2002, 03:06 PM
By Vagabond in forum Distributed ComputingReplies: 5Last Post: March 24th, 2002, 07:29 PM
By Vagabond in forum Distributed ComputingReplies: 5Last Post: February 10th, 2002, 08:50 PM