+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
    [He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    QUICK (URGENT) QUESTION...

If you're running a dual core (single card) GPU, you can only run one instance of the GPU client on it........................right..??
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    The bonus points are assigned to you as a user in the grand scheme of things, not as a user on X team...
    um, ok, yeah, thats what I thought the reply was too.

but still trying to figure out why the reply.

name is was under was ShyGT, team 37726 for OCN, with one pass key

changed the name to ShyguyXPC, team 111, the 2nd Passkey for this name.

I don't have the same folding name for both teams, so the points go to my folding name, yes, as I explained in less detail in the prior post then.

but for some reason HFM.NET didn't pick up on the manual change I made to the Client Config file, and after saving (after changing name, team, passkey, I saved the file)

HFM showed it was still under my OCN name, and not showing any stats, Through OCN, I checked the files and showed the Config file hadn't been altered...

meanwhile FAHMON showed the changes, and showed it folding for XPC and my XPC name.

so I went and did the changes the "official" way, by using the -configonly flag on the CPU client, and as I entered my info for XPC... the damn info was already in there.

so the config file had been changed, and was right, I went through the whole config, exited, deleted the flag, added -smp again, and started up, and low and behold HFM was able to read the thing with my name for XPC and all that.

was like HFM was reading a cached File of the old OCN name for the CPU client.

I even shut down and restarted HFM several times before doing the config properly.

so basically since I fired up the CPU SMP client the other day, I had actually been folding under TIMO.

but as to the jobs needed, if I remember right you needed, what, like 8 jobs completed under a name before you get the Bonus points?

if so, though I had 3 or 4 or 5 done for the Chimp Challenge (OCNChimpin was that name, my ShyGT name for OCN has no BigAdv units done for it yet either), if I changed my name to another name like for TIMO, then you start from scratch to get 8 or so jobs done again before getting bonus points again, from the way I understand it.

So basically since I got the SMP finally working, there are 3 names I've folded under.

OCNChimpin for the Chimp Challenge that we all folded under, so the first 8 or so jobs submitted for that, after that everyone, regardless of whether it was your first job done, got the bonus points)

ShyGT, my OCN folding name

ShyguyXPC my TIMO folding name
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

If you're running a dual core (single card) GPU, you can only run one instance of the GPU client on it........................right..??

I could of sworn you can run two?

one per GPU.

but need to designate a different machine ID and -gpu flag for each.

ID 2, -gpu 0

ID 3, -gpu 1

for example.

at least thats the impression I got from reading some of the threads over at OCN and elsewhere.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Blog Entries

Lol 1:20 AM up late I see...

I know its a bit late but the reason the 295's are good folders is the fact you can run a client for each core.... Like KK and his 9800GX2.
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

Okay, I didn't realise you had different Folding names, so I guess I was wrong...but if you'd used the same username on both/all teams, then you wouldn't need to go through the process of doing 10 WUs without getting the bonus points... [Enter] With regards to the GPU Folding question, I couldn't get Net's dual core 295 to run two separate instances - even though I'd assigned the Folding folder "C:\FAH\GPU0" to use the "-gpu 0" flag in the setup, and "C:\FAH\GPU1" with "-gpu 1" instead... The setup would complete, the service would install, but when your tried to start it, it would just hang - which is why I'm of the impression that a dual-core'd GPU card would NOT be able to have one instance per core but use both cores to work on a WU instead...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

is the GTX 295 set as the primary card, or is his GTS 250 the primary?

If I remember right I had suggested he run the 250 as primary and 295 as secondary?

not sure if he switched them around or not?

not sure if that would cause any issues (if 250 is primary, it should be set for -gpu 0, and the 1st core for the 295 should be -gpu 1)?

when you say hang, would it just not run, or was there an error message that popped up?

also when you set it up, did you set it up, by starting it normally (with no flags other than the GPU flags) or did you start with the -configonly flag, then set everything, remove it and start up again?

if the latter, its possible you need to delete the client info again, and just start it normally, entering the data for each GPU, and let it run right away.

I doubt this is the case, but for me to run my 2nd card (assuming the 295 is the 2nd card in the PC, and not primary), I have to reenter the dang info each time I start the client (but not before deleting the Client config file first), which is why I don't like disabling the 2nd card unless I have to, its a pain in the arse to start folding again.

Blog Entries
    Its funny how I have only just noticed the chimp challenge 'postbit' (on OCN) for participating...

Agree with shy really, need to remove all the F@H folders and start fresh.... Also I would put that 295 in the primary slot.....
    I7 920 @ 4.2Ghz/6GB//GTX480 SLI/M4 64 GB + 1.5 TB + 2x 640 GB/Corsair TX950/ASUS blu-ray/ASUS P6X58D-E + X-Fi /LC PCK62

LOL, yeah I didn't notice it until almost a week after the challenge was over.

as to the card.

you'd put it as the primary?

not arguing for or against, just wondering why is all?

(maybe its something I didn't know? and may be able to "learn" from, now That I know Dual GPU Fermi's are on the way eventually, depending on how my financial issues go after the Medical shit is over, I may keep enough aside for one , wishful thinking, but nothing wrong with it )

Blog Entries
    When I had both my 260's I would get random problems sometimes with the card not folding in a secondary slot.... I switched the cards round used the other PCI-E slots (I have four )..... So in the end I kept my biggest earner (216sp) in primary and my (192sp) in secondary... Im hoping it will sort out nets folding issue... and if one of the cards decides to not work then atleast his 'big' earner is.

I'm on the BlackBerry, watching MotoGP and trying to also take a bit of an interest in what Tia is doing...but Net only has the 295 in the rig I was working on, he'd moved the 250 (or whatever the other card is) into a different machine. Went through and set up the first GPU client (without, and then with the -gpu 0 'flag') and saw that it was getting ~9k PPD straight away, tried again to get the 2nd GPU client going and the config side went through fine just that when I went to start the Service (in Computer Management) it just sat there thinking about it - with the 'starting' or 'loading' type bar filling up - before giving out the "normal" error about failing to start the service. I thought about it for a moment this morning, and I could've just tried to run the EXE instead, but G had woken up and 'reminded me' that I should go to bed.... The issue he'd been having is that he was trying to run the CPU client on the GPUs, and his FahMon was configured to view two lots of the same Folding folder... I suggested that I set it up for him from scratch, so instead of everything being on his desktop, it is a C:\FAH\ and then a subsequent folder for each instance (including one 'spare'/template for each version, plus the second client already configured ready) and his FahMon is now showing everything it should be...

Blog Entries
    Then I would go to the drivers next... who knows what drivers 'net' has installed lol...

Blog Entries
    Errrrrrr.......

When did they put that in?

That was in a couple releases ago.

EVGA Precision v1.9.0 (01-13-2010)

-Fixed 3D memory clock monitoring on NVIDIA GeForce GT 240 DDR5 series graphics cards

-Added configuration file setting allowing power users to display performance profiler status information in the hardware monitor window. The information allows estimating average CPU performance hit caused by hardware monitor

-On-Screen Display and Logitech LCD monitoring modules no longer explicitly read displayed data from hardware and retrieve cached data from monitoring graphs instead. Due to this change CPU performance hit is reduced when OSD or LCD monitoring features are enabled

-Fan speed slider position and numeric fan speed input field are now being refreshed in automatic fan speed mode only when EVGA Precision window is active

-Added configuration file switches allowing power users to tweak Precision startup process and define startup delay or force the startup to be handled by Windows Vista / Windows 7 Task Scheduler to bypass UAC evaluation window (additional Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 runtime libraries installation is required for task scheduler based startup way)

-Added videomemory usage monitoring for NVIDIA graphics cards under Forceware 185.xx and newer drivers

-Added GPU usage monitoring for NVIDIA GT2xx and newer graphics cards under Forceware 185.xx and newer drivers

-EVGA On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 3.6.0. New server provides improved desktop windows notification mechanism and also features optional power user oriented task scheduler based startup way

-Reduced runtime skin engine memory footprint due to dynamic skin storage unloading

ouch ouch ouch ouch!!!!

gonna need to get that AC installed this week I think.

after letting the rig cool down some for half the day, I fired her back up, and am getting a slight burning smell, almost a very faint plastic smoldering smell...

like when you warm up some plastic with a hair dryer or heat gun, but not enough to melt it or burn it...

coming from the rear of the case (less than 4 inches of space between the case and the wall.

and feeling some of the audio out cables, and their rather pliable LOL...

touching the back of the case, the metal part, and NOT the cards, but the cases frame, and thats what the ouch part above is about...

HOT!!! not 1st degree burns hot, but almost like sitting on a hot leather seat in the summer time.

even though its cool outside right now (fresh rain earlier in the day), its still not cool enough for the PC, at least airflow wise.

for the time being the CPU client and 9800GTX (hotter of the 2 GPU's) are shut down, with just the 285 folding.

may even turn the rig off overnight and give her a cold start tomorrow morning, and see if there is still a slight smell, otherwise going to have to install the AC, and rearrange the positioning of the case, and figure out some sort of venting system for the PC.

I'm not too concerned about getting Net any further for now, as he seems pretty happy about how it is now... I was trying to get a quick response above as I was connected to Net's PC with the 295 at the time, which isn't the case now... How much should a dual-core 295 be getting, PPD wise..?

Blog Entries
    I would say between 13-16k PPD

Blog Entries

Thumbs down

Boo....
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

What's the "Boo......" for there KarmaKiller...?!?

Blog Entries
    Well, some good things to think about this summer . . .

Here it is, June 6th, and we still haven't put the A/C units in. The temp's around here have stayed on the cooler side and the forecast is the same for at least a couple more weeks. We haven't had any hail or snow for a week now, but we're still getting rain showers just about daily.

This is a big relief, after the months and months of $500+ electric bills. The electric bill took its first big drop last month, after the landlord rebuilt the hot water heater and put a timer in. The result was a $150 drop, with the rebuild affecting a little less than than 2 weeks of the bill. I'm still hoping that for an entire month, the net effect will be electric bills lower than $200 per month. The fact that I haven't had to install the A/C units yet, means the electric should be even lower than expected.

Been hit with a number of additional costs, so my B-Day upgrade is still on hold. But, still hoping that that will change before the end of June.

Not much else to report . . . but thinking about double carding with my extra 2 8800's . . .

Harder

standard systray install for now, might go smp later. don't want to kill this little lappy yet.
    All i have is it until mine returns, and then this one goes to the Wife. (Thinkpad T60.)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information