Closed Thread
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Bah, running out of excuses not to get Skyrim ...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

eh, I was just going to download Human Revolution.. eventually. I still have what I call the "Steam" folder that I've been using for almost 9 years now. I'm glad Steam doesn't need to be installed, or the games it installed don't need to be installed ever again, like Half Life 2. I hated it on dial-up.

Origin which BF3 uses, is probably more annoying than Steam ever was. Steam I wish wouldn't use IE as it's browser though

I'm staying far from Skyrim, and .SWTOR, and... now Diablo 3

oh

Some issues. If I'm initially typing in the Quick Reply box.. for some reason the cursor gets kicked out after 4 of 5 letters, like the stupid "Related Results" ad below is doing it. Anyone else noticing this?

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    So I've got to also ask here, what uses do 8 cores truly have? I mean, for example is there anything cool to learn that I should get into (for fairly cheap) that an 8 core excels at?

As per the cost of the above I could have gotten an i7 setup, but decided like you even noted, the FX does what I need it to do.

Also think I'm going to set my file server / media build to run F@H now too. The 3700+ runs cool enough and is dead silent w/ my current setup (two enermax enlobal 80mm fans in push/pull on heatsink) and a silent 120mm fan for rear exhaust.
    not sure really, I know I play with 3D animation stuff every so often, having 8 cores rendering is a heck of a lot better than 4 cores, depending on the software you use, it could be free, cheap, semi cheap or costly.

If you interested in any of that, give these a look, I have all of these already, paid for them all before this deal came along (C8 Pro I got as a freebie upgrade when I got C7 Pro 2 years ago, and Daz Studio Pro 4, I had already Bought Daz Studio Advanced 4, but then this free version of Pro came around, other wise I have had Hexagon 2.5 for 4 or so years now since it came out, and Bryce 7 Pro I had already bought cheap a year or so ago as well)

DAZ 3D - Free 3D Software and 3D Model Providers

They have some 3D content that is free, occasionally on sale for free, and some that is pretty cheap to use.

Daz Studio's Render engines are slow or Fast depending on what you use, I have the 64-bit version and the Software Render Engine is slow but highly accurate, it also has a OpenGL Render Engine for use with a video card, I have found it sacrifices a little in accuracy, but its Lightning fast compared to the software renderer's.

Bryce's Render engine is slow, but accurate, Carrara's is MUCH faster. and Hexagon is decent, though I haven't done much in it.

Another 3D rendering program with much higher detail and capabilities, though depending on the version, is VUE: e-on software - Solutions for Natural 3D Environments

Otherwise for cool stuff to use the cores, thats about all I do, occasionally do some video editing and make some videos, but the cores don't really get taxed until the end process. Same with 2D image editing.

Lately I've been playing with a 2D image editing program called Project DogWaffle, its actually quite dated, but its still quite impressive and capable, I think I have version 2 or 3 right now, picked it up cheap on the Daz website.

There's a few variations of it in newer versions, but costs a good $75-100 for those I think.

DAZ 3D - Project Dogwaffle 2

here's one of the newer more recent versions of the software: DAZ 3D - PD Pro 7 Howler, powered by Project Dogwaffle

but I have the version 2 I think and an update patch for it, along with a ton of the particle brushes and a ton of filters for it.

Something I made with PD 2:

Sample of many of the particle brushes to play with:

Learned how to, though still haven't gotten it to work in 3D software, how to make a 2D image in PD2 using transparencies, and then texture those on to a 2D plain in a 3D program, and the you can use them in scenes to add scenery, foliage, etc, or even take a series of those 2D plains with the textures, and using 2, 3, or 4 or more and rotate them, so they cross each other to make "3D" bushes, like in some older 3D games.

Not sure how much CPU it actually uses, as it renders pretty fast with this stuff on my i7 920, or if it even uses more than 1 core, since the software dates back from the mid 2000's, newer versions might be more supportive of multi core CPU's though.

another program I play around with generates Particle based Fractals and what not (its the same core software used in the one Steam Downloadable Game "The Polynomial" )

Not sure how much it uses CPU cores, since its OpenGL based, but its worth a look.

the guy that made this software, also has one that can take a bit of CPU rendering power, its an entire virtual Galaxy of stars to explore.

This is the guys site: Dmytry Lavrov's home page.

Along with links to his software, and other related stuff.

The Galaxy

OpenGL Attractor Viewer

Quote Originally Posted by Carld View Post
    I'm staying far from Skyrim, and .SWTOR, and... now Diablo 3

oh

Some issues. If I'm initially typing in the Quick Reply box.. for some reason the cursor gets kicked out after 4 of 5 letters, like the stupid "Related Results" ad below is doing it. Anyone else noticing this?
    sounds like the page loading issue me and NLM are/have been having.

Though sounds like its loading much faster for you, as I can get a whole sentence or two sometimes typed before the dang thing does that.

Sometimes its just a couple words or mid word that I get "kicked".

Its been like that for nearly a week and half for me.

I can load a tab, and enter a thread, click reply or do something in a thread, and the little animated circle icon in the new pages tab above keeps acting like its loading the page.

I suspect its one of the ads or something else loading on the page thats slowing things, but its been pissing me off quite a bit lately as I type things and then the cursor gets kicked out of the reply box as you mentioned.

It happened with FF11 and now that I have version 12 its still happening, Adobe Flash has been updated twice in the last week, and cleared cache and what not and still happening. Happens to me in FF and Chrome.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Blog Entries
    Cool thanks man, I'll have to look into those!

Btw, good thing we both ordered our psu's already... apparently they are now officially sold out! Newegg.com - NZXT HALE82 HALE82-850-M 850W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Power Supply
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Boxr: AMD FX-8120/ 4gb DDR3 1866/ Nvidia GTS450/ Ubuntu 12.04
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

ooooh, NICE!!!

I Know the Hale82's came out last year sometime, and the Hale90's are the newer Gold+ series (or something like that).

But hopefully if they ever need to be replaced, it will be something better.

but at that price though I'm not surprised they sold out.

Looks like only the 650 and 750W models left in stock now.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    ooooh, NICE!!!

I Know the Hale82's came out last year sometime, and the Hale90's are the newer Gold+ series (or something like that).

But hopefully if they ever need to be replaced, it will be something better.

but at that price though I'm not surprised they sold out.

Looks like only the 650 and 750W models left in stock now.
    Yea, we got a hell of deal, especially with the 30 buck rebate we can send in!

The Hale90 looks good as well, but it;s $70 bucks more for 850w version over the Hale82. I'd say we did pretty good
    Main PC: AMD FX-9590 / 16gb DDR3 2400 / AMD R9 290X @ 1100 Core & 1350mhz Mem / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430/ Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667/ Ati x1600 / WinXP Pro 32bit

hmm, I cleaned out the newer box.

Whomever thought of these radiator water cooler kits didn't really consider the PITA it is to clean the dust out of them. The holes for the radiator are so close they clog with the dust regardless if the front filter is sort of working. I think the filter just helps keep hair out, but dirt, dust, etc. just passes through. The fans, at least the newer Magmas are shiney and that helps keep the dust from sticking....

The meanwhile as I was just cursing at the box, at least the BIOS updated with the BIOS Flashback feature without a hitch.

I never realized how dirty black can look. I should painting the case tan or brown.
    Last edited by Carld; May 13th, 2012 at 08:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    Laptop and other random stuff from directron should be here today!

the GTX285 sold. The transaction actually went smooth, like it always should. but.. the BMX parts.. well one didn't sell and the other was bid on by a guy with Thailand address. I sent messages about even giving me a USA address so I can make a invoice with the right shipping cost, but instead the guy just pays the price without shipping.. grrr. I seriously hate dealing with BMXers. You can't even sell something for 1/2 the new price, even if the item is brand new.. then you got the idiots.

I'd use Craig'slist but the local yeehawers, expect stuff for free, even for the old-school collectable stuff.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    You mean, you expect people to pay for things.....???? o.0

I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    Yea, we got a hell of deal, especially with the 30 buck rebate we can send in!

The Hale90 looks good as well, but it;s $70 bucks more for 850w version over the Hale82. I'd say we did pretty good
    I'm holding off on the rebate, sure its an extra $30 in the pocket, the but the wait isn't worth it.

The Rebate info, if you haven't read it yet, states 12-14 weeks AFTER the last post date for the Rebate being sent off, something to the effect of 6-21-2012 for me, not sure why thats listed, but supposedly it has to be mailed out with in 21 days of purchase, I think that date listed was the 21 days from the last day of the rebate, at the end of the month or something.

in any case, its still 3.5 months of waiting, to send receive it, its one of the reasons I don't bother much with Rebates anymore, unless their instant ones.

Plus they want you to cut the UPC out of the box and send that in, which can be a hassle and problem if you have to RMA the thing, whether with Newegg (or any retailer) or with the Manufacturer.

Its usually a Catch 22, send in the Rebate, and then have a hell of a time trying to RMA the thing, or forget about Rebate, and have less of a hassle with RMA if needed.

I've also got a $10 rebate on the CM Hyper 212+ as well, but for a $30 item and a $10 rebate, its not really worth that much of a hassle. The cooler is going into my brothers PC, and then shipped several states away.

its probably going to sit for months and months of no use, since he has a Deployment to Kuwait some time this year (no mention of exactly when and for how long), so it will be sitting at his place until he gets back.

I probably could cut out the UPC For that one though, if it doesn't work, just buy a new one cheap enough, no need to RMA it really.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    I'm holding off on the rebate, sure its an extra $30 in the pocket, the but the wait isn't worth it.

The Rebate info, if you haven't read it yet, states 12-14 weeks AFTER the last post date for the Rebate being sent off, something to the effect of 6-21-2012 for me, not sure why thats listed, but supposedly it has to be mailed out with in 21 days of purchase, I think that date listed was the 21 days from the last day of the rebate, at the end of the month or something.

in any case, its still 3.5 months of waiting, to send receive it, its one of the reasons I don't bother much with Rebates anymore, unless their instant ones.

Plus they want you to cut the UPC out of the box and send that in, which can be a hassle and problem if you have to RMA the thing, whether with Newegg (or any retailer) or with the Manufacturer.

Its usually a Catch 22, send in the Rebate, and then have a hell of a time trying to RMA the thing, or forget about Rebate, and have less of a hassle with RMA if needed.

I've also got a $10 rebate on the CM Hyper 212+ as well, but for a $30 item and a $10 rebate, its not really worth that much of a hassle. The cooler is going into my brothers PC, and then shipped several states away.

its probably going to sit for months and months of no use, since he has a Deployment to Kuwait some time this year (no mention of exactly when and for how long), so it will be sitting at his place until he gets back.

I probably could cut out the UPC For that one though, if it doesn't work, just buy a new one cheap enough, no need to RMA it really.
    Valid points, it's just how I try to justify the spending in my head ("well it has a rebate") knowing well in advance I won't do it unless it's a promo code and/or instant like you noted.

I tried it once on my gecube x1950pro, had to cut out the upc, followed every detail to the T and monthes went by with no response. Never bothered again with rebates after that.

__

Laptop arrived and for a refurb it seriously looks brand new and is in working order. Also, the batteries it came with are both I'm assuming brand new as t hey stated "0% wear" on them and seem to hold a charge rather well.

With both the primary and secondary batt I get about 8 hours life. With just the primary it's about 3 1/2 or so. Keep in mind, this is simply browsing the net so i'm sure gaming will cut that in half, but the point is the same.

yeah, last time I did any rebates was 3 or so years back with the Corsair PSU, I had bought 3 of the things If I remember right, the 750W I have now, another for someone I know for their PC, and the 400W I donated to Surreal, I sent in rebates for all 3, each one a $20 rebate card, and then it took for ever to get them, but once I did I was ecstatic having $60 extra in hand, until I found out that I couldn't use the damn things 90% of the places I would have.

easier night at work tonight, but I get home and check stuff online and see the plethora of new member posts asking about upgrades, and just about damn near everyone lists what they want or their goal is, but not one lists any pertinent details beyond that... really get sick and tired of constantly Asking people for more info, let alone people that haven't a clue WTF a given part is.

20 years ago, I could understand that kids and adults knew less about PC parts and what not, but sh*t, this is 2012, the 21st Century and at least the 3rd or 4th generation of kids into the home computer age, and I swear they have only gotten dumber over the years and generations.

Kids and even young adults now days, grew up with more and more electronics, Computers and Cell Phones, and yet so many are still just as inept and uneducated, if not more so, than it was 20 years ago.

they've been spoiled too much with Consoles that do just about anything you want, ease of use freaking Apple Products that dumb it down so much, you can have an IQ of 70 and still master an iPhone or Mac desktop, and a ton of other things.

so less and less incentive to actually learn and be somewhat knowledgeable.

maybe its my Inner geek speaking, maybe its because me and some of my friends were always into Computers, electronics and other related tech fields growing up, but it just amazes me at how many don't know or have enough common sense (basic reasoning and logic) to add important details and info about WTF it is that your asking about.

I have an an Acme Handy Dandy 2000 CPU, 2GB RAM, And Windows 7, I'm looking at an "Advanced Micro Intel Devices Nvidia Radeonforce HD GTXSLI GT Pi 3.14 Uber Triple Black Hyper Clocked Double D Amped Edition" to run Diablo 3, since I can afford it, and it looks like a good card to run the game with.

Can I run this card on my PC?

Um... Let me see... No info on the actual system your using, whether its a prebuilt, no info on whether its custom built, no info on the Motherboard and slots available to use the card. No info on the Power supply running the PC. no info on the amount of room in the case. No info on your total budget for the upgrade.

No info on where you are in the world to recommend where to buy upgrades or alternate parts to get instead of that card.

etc etc etc.

It just gets tiring constantly always asking the same damn questions over and over and over.

On the up side we have had a few newer members that have actually gone back and read older posts for similar situations lately... hell I even had one PM me about some of my threads and replies from 2 or 3 years ago.

THESE are the people I like having on the forums that actually put some effort forward and do some work for them selves, instead of just expecting the answers, all the answers to drop into their laps, and then they disappear never to be seen or heard from again.

though I hate getting PM's from them, taking up space in my inbox, its nice to have them actually read up on older posts, and maybe even find the answers on their own.

We've even had some put a full build list together and ask about it, only having to tweak a few things in it and its ready to go.

Blog Entries
    Waiting on my nzxt psu, dvd-rw drive, and 6670 to get here tomorrow.

My main concern is the system it's going to has either a 220w Bestec TFX psu, or a 250w version of it.

The system is not power hungry and from various sites I saw that at peak the 6670 barely uses a hair above 50w - I know my bro won't game too much on it only short rounds and technically adding up the psu usage at pretty much 100% load on all components it will use roughly 200w on the dot.

Now, do I risk throwing the 6670 in there in the short term and go against advice I've been giving out due to budget constrants (forgot how crappy that psu was) - or wait it out and order a seasonic 300w TFX psu for under 50 bucks

I mean tehcnically, I know it will run on it fine as with the older games he plays it will no where near put a 100% load on it, but I just don't trust it in the long term.

Specs

Athlon II X4 645 3.1ghz (essentiall my cpu w/o the L3 cache)
    4gb DDR 1333
    1tb 5400rpm HDD (ewww)
    Sapphire 6670 1gb GDDR5
    1x DVD-RW
    Bestec 220/250w psu

What would you do in this case? It's a birthday gift and I wanted to have it all set up and running by the bday, but if I have to order the psu that won't happen

try just a bit north of 65W: AMD Radeon HD 6670 GDDR5 Video Card - Reviews, Specifications, and Pictures - GPUReview.com

If he has a spare 5.25" bay, you could maybe take a chance on one of these as refurbs: Newegg.com - Refurbished: VisionTek 400372 450W Power Supply

don't know how old the Bestec is, or what the +12V amps are (Since almost everything these days is +12V based in PC's), but I would think you would be fine for a short while with a 250W unit, I wouldn't recommend it for too long, but might last long enough till a replacement can be installed.

those 6670's aren't too far off on wattage of other low end cards that only need power from the slot, and the Athlon II's are power sippers to begin with, a 5400RPM drive would be pretty low as well.

EEEK, I just used a PSU Calculator for that system and it would be pushing 250W for the entire thing on just what is listed there...

I wouldn't push it with the 6670 then, and hold out until it can be replaced with a better PSU or even that Auxiliary PCIe refurb unit I listed above.

Blog Entries
    Hmmm odd, techpower up review tested like 50w full load but who know... Better safe than sorry.

Unfortunately the case is a SFF ACER case (ax1420) so it's only going to take TFX psu's and doesn't have spare 5.25" bays.

I'll probably just order the seasonic 300w to play it safe.

What psu calc did you use, the one I got said minimum used is like 200w, recommended like 230w IIRC.

The SFF case has no fans either besides the 92mm on the heatsink cooling down the Athlon II x4 645

used this one: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Tossed in a couple 120mm fans, just in case, since I didn't know what the case was, and selected a SATA Green HDD, since most of those run around 5400RPM, didn't know if it was SATA or IDE.

the one TechPowerup tested might of been 50W or so, could of been a GDDR3 model, according to GPUReview both GDDR3 and GDDR5 use same amount of power, but there has to be some difference, since both types of RAM aren't the same.

its possible it was tested under different software and posted as 66W, or maybe that was with Furmark in the testing group, but even still, I'd be a bit weary of running it, It would probably run fine, but I wouldn't want to chance blowing the PSU and taking out all the hardware in the system either.

the Seasonic 300W should be more than sufficient though.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    (Just taking us into a new page....nothing to see here)

Had my MRI done on my lumbar spine, got some "interesting" images from that..... o.0
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Thread Information