Closed Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast
    It's usually the over-clocking stupidity though.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    Looking at newegg, they haven't had many Asus Refurbs for a while, mostly PNY and Visiontek as of late.

Though PNY is a big player in the Quadro Market, as Nvidia's selected partner to make their Quadro Products, but they're small change compared to Asus, which sucks, since they used to be one of the big players back when Geforce 256. GF2 and GF3 were out, Asus didn't even make cards as far as I knew.

Looks like most of Visiontek's Refurbs are old prior gen Radeon Overstock.

But looks like EVGA and MSI have the most for newer higher end GPU refurbs.

Not sure about MSI, but I know EVGA has been pushing out a lot of Refurb stock in past month or so, odd ball Geforce 7600GT cards here and there, and even seen a few 6800 cards on Geeks.com in past month.

I suspect their clearing out warehouse space for the newer GTX 600 series, leaving some space for the 500 and 400 series that will be coming in from the Step Up Program they have.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

This P9X79 Pro, hasn't given any issues. btw

Actually this EVGA GTX 580 been doing pretty good.

Folding@home does compare to Furmark in video card usage?

I tried 3dmark11.. ugh.. what a POS it is now.. adds services, like it thinks it is Google. I noticed it runs with 30 processes? wtf? The tests look cool, and well something new to look at..

Quote Originally Posted by Carld View Post
    It's usually the over-clocking stupidity though.
    that too, but then again, Asus tends to market their products to be able to "handle" that kind of abuse.

I never had a problem with your Socket 939 Asus board I bought years ago (over at XPC), though only used it for a short while to try out on, as that Thermalright Southbridge chip you had on it, blocked one of my longer GPU's at the time, so made SLI not an option, and never replaced the heatsink.

also never OC'd on it, but never had a problem.

Meanwhile that Socket A Asus Nforce 2 board I had one in one of the Find A Drug team giveaways, I had nothing but trouble with that, even after Bios updates, supposedly had some good OCing options, but it wouldn't even recognize my Athlon XP 3000+ Barton at all, pop that same CPU in my lesser MSI KT600 Chipset board, and instantly recognizes it and could set its clock speed appropriately. The Asus wouldn't recognize the clock Multi, and would never run it any faster than 800Mhz for overall CPU clock.

I'd still have your 939 Asus board today if I hadn't been so stupid and sell it, along with about $400-450 in additional hardware and parts to Kevin over there, and end up getting screwed out of it, went on nearly 2 or 3 years of him never paying me. Claimed it got stolen when it was delivered and then kept changing his story on what he was doing to find out if he could find it, via police reports, etc.

Kept giving me the run around on when he could pay me, what he could pay me in (money or parts), making promises he could never keep, or never intended to.

Finally when I called him out on all of it, on the forums, after his constant bragging about buying all kinds of big ticket items, like a classic Muscle car for his wife for her birthday, a brand new Yukon Denali for her birthday another year, and even an Old school bus that was partially converted to a motorhome, they planned on gutting it and doing it the way THEY Wanted... etc.

nearly $75,000+ in stuff bragged about on XPC, and couldn't pay me a measly $550.

Then there was the nearly $100K in Server hardware he and a "friend" were selling from a failed business they had.

I finally had enough, called him out on it, and then made some threats to me in a PM. Even stated he KNEW who stole the parts from him, and insinuated that I knew who it was from online, as if I had something to do with it...

The ONLY person I knew online that lived anywhere near him, in Baltimore at the time, was you, but your a whole state or 2 away, and no way you would of done that, let alone even knew about the package being delivered to him.

after that, any time I saw him potentially Dealing with other members online, I PM'd them and warned them.

I was in contact with Mholtum via Facebook and PM's on XPC for a while as well, since Kev was taking Mike for a ride on loading his new Case up with parts, from a prior contest/giveaway, that Mike won, but it had been months and months since he won and nothing came of it. Needless to say, Mike was getting pissed after being given the run around for a while, but after a month or two, finally got his case back, with the parts, and posted about what a great job Kev did for him... and left it at that, with no negative commentary.

meanwhile I was till out $500+ in parts from a few years earlier...

Its also why I was helping Madfish with getting him some parts for his PC, since Kev promised him parts, and never made good on any of it. Slightly different than my situation where I actually lost out property and money on it, vs Madfish was only promised, and was out nothing, but was the principle of the thing.

Thats why, no matter what Kevin posts over there now, I take with a grain of salt, and don't believe a word of what he says. If he claims to be on his death bed, I won't believe it until I see it, and see the death certificate to be honest, the guy picks and chooses who he will come through for, and who he won't. Does a good PR job for himself, and thats about it. At some point he was trustworthy, but for whatever reason after that transaction, with me, he just became a lying deceiving manipulative dick!!!

even was willing to rig some of the giveaway contests to pay me in parts he and others were donating to pay me back for the parts I sent him. I know he was pretty pissed about RourkChris not ever sending him the GPU's he said he'd donate towards one contest (Kev talked to me a few times on Phone, and via MSN, still have some of the PM's, Emails, and MSN Convo's saved somewhere), which I thought was pretty childish, since he was willing to rig the giveaway himself, until at last minute the way the numbers would be picked was changed, and he could only guarantee I got 5 of the 15 numbers right. As it turned out, that was one of the first of 2 contests Mholtum won.

Next one, Kev apologized and promised I'd win the 30" Dell LCD he was donating (brand new was a $1000 display, refurbed it was still a $600 unit), he dragged that contest on for months, and then it just fizzled away with one of his usual disappearing acts. Till he popped back in again, to brag about some new high ticket items he got...

So yeah, don't trust that guy one bit anymore, no matter what he says.

And have to laugh sometimes at the people he has conned over there, which to be honest was one of the reasons I started to spend less and less time over there.

As long as MntSnow (nothing against the Snowman, as he was fully aware of what had gone down, as I had informed him and even emailed him all the conversations and emails between me and kev) but as long as he was letting him be a Moderator over there, after the sh*t he's pulled I didn't want to be spending too much time over there, only as much as I needed to.

as a result I started to spend more time posting here.

but I let many of the members over there know what kev had pulled, Thronka, David, Mholtum, Sharder, Win2kUser, Madfish, and some others, to get the word out, not to deal with him in future, and be careful of what he has to say.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

This P9X79 Pro, hasn't given any issues. btw

Actually this EVGA GTX 580 been doing pretty good.

Folding@home does compare to Furmark in video card usage?

I tried 3dmark11.. ugh.. what a POS it is now.. adds services, like it thinks it is Google. I noticed it runs with 30 processes? wtf? The tests look cool, and well something new to look at..

The newer 3DMark isn't bad, but yeah it does run a lot of processes. as well as ads, but then again thats the free version so not expected.

the full versions should be ad free. I think I have a full version of 3Dmark Vantage (DX10/vista version, basically Number 10 in the series), but the free version of 11.

The limited options to run the tests has turned me off for most part with 3Dmark, since they started that crap with 09 and Vantage.

Really can't adjust anything in it to be worth while, with out paying for full version.

Though I still use it on occasion just because, but I end up using Unigine Heaven Demo, and some others now.

I also use the Cinebench Benchmark utility too, since I do play with 3D stuff once in a while.

Good measurement of how fast your CPU and GPU can render in products like Cinema4D.

hmm to that kevin guy.

What's weird is I sold him a dual socket A Tyan board, and he said that it was stolen also. I'm not sure if I refunded, or even if I did, it wasn't like I sold it for that much (probably $50). I think I got the board for maybe.. less anyway. My tracking number I remember telling him it was delivered too. So it seems it was good that it was my only deal with him? I don't wanna bad mouth him, since he seems to be dealing health issues lately.

The XPC givaways.. well everything worked, or really still works. The ECS Nforce 2 board I got from that actually is working good for my friend. I have a bunch of the old Athlon XP's sitting around, many were from the givaways.

ASUS I remember having "revisions" of boards that you always had to look out for. It was usually just the stupid AMD boards though.

yeah, it was always a bit sketchy with him, I had the tracking info as well, and showed it was delivered.

the box was almost big enough to ship a child across the US. When delivered, he claims he told the Parcel Service to drop off package at Car Port behind house, he said his daughter was home at the time, and the package was too big for her to move (only weighed about 50 pounds or so), so she left it on their front porch, and took off with her friends. When he and the wife got home, they never saw it.

claims the neighborhood they were in, people drive up and steal stuff off your lawn, or even out of your Mailbox, which is believable.

he claimed to file a police report (but later on, if he claimed he knew who stole it, then why didn't he have the cops investigate it?).

He supposedly had me send him some pics of the stuff I had sent and see if he could look at some of the pawn shops see if they show up... because yeah, a lot of us really bother to photograph our Parts serial numbers and the like

When he did send out a Money order, or so he claimed.

For whatever reason, instead of getting a USPS money order like I asked, he got one from one of those shady business's that sell them,

He had it at home, and instructed his teenage daughter to fill it out and mail it to me. Supposedly she threw the Stub from it in the garbage.... convenient.

so there was no means of tracking it.

After several weeks of never receiving it, I explained to him, he told me what happened, and was out tracking on it... Here's the thing, if he had his receipt from it, he could of gone back to the shop and gotten the tracking info from it, to look it up. but never did.

Then for some reason he claimed after a week or so, that it was cashed in some southern State (Kentucky or somewhere down there)...

So.... he had to have some way to track it.

Seems in his infinite intelligence, rather than Dropping the Envelope in the Mail box at the post office, after his daughter filled it out and threw away the stub, either He or she mailed it from their Mail box at the street... where they knew stuff had a chance of getting stolen, and a $600 Money order.,,?

So, several months later, he supposedly sent another money order, or said he would, and never received it.

and if I remember right, he was going to write me a check this time, so if it got stolen it could be cancelled and challenged if not cashed by me...

That never happened. He had my Mailing Address, Email Addresses, Phone#, Skype Info, PM's on XPC. so wasn't like it was a case of mistaken address typed or a typo.

Yeah, with the health issues, I don't know how much of it is true, as he's played that deck before a few times.

I don't want to sound cold or heartless, but when he's lied his ass off as much as he has to me and others over there, over the years, you begin to question a lot of what he has to say.

from the impressions of what I've dealt with, with him over there, what he's posted on Facebook in past before he defriended me (which was fine by me), and else where, he comes off as one of those really insecure guys, that have to make himself sound larger than he really is, and likes to play on peoples Sympathies and Empathy, to get them to like him. If you start seeing him for what he really is, you become the enemy, and then tries to down play everything you have to say, make himself seem like the victim.

as much as I would like to believe what he says, I just don't buy a lot of it anymore. He Disappears now, a lot, and only comes back to post every so often if he was something to brag about, or to play the Sympathy card for how he is.

As to the Giveaways, aside from that one Asus Nforce 2 Board, everything else worked just fine, though the case was a POS (used some crappy proprietary Mobo Plastic standoffs, if they broke, the case was useless other than being used to hold Drives, or PSU.)

but the PSU, and rest of the parts were pretty good.

Still have one of the CPU's, the case, I think I still have the PSU somewhere, unless I put it in a build for someone?

The box the board I sold him was in a huge box. I know how the general area is where he "did" live at the time. I sorta believed the box was taken.. This thing you're saying brings some light to the issue.

I didn't know about any other deals and crap.

So this is why XPC turned into a ghost town?

I messaged Mark(win2kuser), but I remember reading how he has been having issues, so I'm not sure if I will ever hear from him.

That Bitspit guy keeps posting stats for noone to even read or reply to?

There was some other guy.. Lordquick something that always tried to trade stuff. I get the same BS though dealing with BMX guys.

I still think I even have the lame heatware feedback people used to push to use. I'm not even sure if heatware still exists.
    Last edited by Carld; February 23rd, 2012 at 05:19 AM.

heatware is still around, I've used it a few times over the past couple years, most recently was this fall the core i7 940 I bought on OCN, that I used as a reference for the guy that was selling it.

and have used it for a few other transactions over the years.

Mine: ShyguyMX6 | HeatWare.com

last few transactions though, no ones bothered to post to it, so nothing is listed.

Thing is, sites like OCN now use a built in Trading reference feature instead of heatware, though you can still use Heat, Ebay, and other references when buying/selling, but it makes for things easier if your buying and selling from same sites, to easily see all the stuff in one location.

but yeah I remember LordqwikSilva or whatever his name was, screwed me over on some items way back when as well, sent Money orders, about $50-75 worth, and he never sent the items, disappeared shortly after and didn't pop up on XPC until a year or so later, then claimed he remembered about our transaction and would make good on it, this was about the same time he supposedly enlisted in the army or something, and then after a bit we never heard from him again.

Not sure if that was why XPC went downhill, I know a lot of it, had to do with FaD ending, and many of us all went to several different DC projects.

but some other members, also moved on with real life and what not.

Mark, went through a nasty Divorce, had some financial issues as well as had some health issues, with a work related accident he was in for a while, but he's since been doing pretty good for the most part, has a new woman that he's been with for a while, they have a kid together, and are now engaged.

Not sure if you added him on Facebook, but he's on there quite a bit, not as much as me and some others, but on enough to keep tabs with each week.

I think a lot of XPC going down hill though had to do with the scattering of the DC Project members, a lot of us just didn't stick with Rosie or WCG that much. RC5-72 and OGR we stuck out with for quite a while, but even that fizzled a little bit.

Bitspit took over stats when Winkie had to deal with real life issues for some time, but I and a couple others kept in touch with him via Email for a year or two or so after he left.

I still play some FB games now and then with Mark, though he's given up entirely on the Zynga Games, I've managed to get sucked back into a few of the more recent ones, at least until I get tired of the BS with them (bugs, lag, not having enough friends to make it worth playing to gather crap from them to complete tasks etc)

Or until Zynga has officially destroyed the games fun factor like they did with one of their more recent games, Empires & Allies.

OK I still I still have a username after 6 years!!!

Heatware changed the look a bit.

yeah, they revamped the site and service a couple years ago, better look IMO than it used to be.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Carld, hurry up and post more - keep getting tempted to click the [SPAM] button on your messages, only to realise that this is legitimate SPAM...

(See attached)

That button will disappear once you get into triple figures for your post count...

Shy, I skipped over your WOT posts... TL;DR..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F@H **Official** SPAM Thread 2012-02-09...!-__temp__.jpg  
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

I'll try not to post any key words

well, with SLI or Crossfire, its only practical with higher end cards, where you can't really move up much better, and if you can get the 2nd card at a cheaper price than it was when new...

for lower range cards its not that practical usually since you can get a single card with same performance as 2 lower ones.

RAID 0, for me, was beneficial when Recording FRAPS video, or for running games like Oblivion where it needs a fast hard drive to load the game world in real time.

now days a Single SSD drive can do just as well, even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nude_Lewd_Man View Post
    Carld, hurry up and post more - keep getting tempted to click the [SPAM] button on your messages, only to realise that this is legitimate SPAM...

(See attached)

That button will disappear once you get into triple figures for your post count...

Shy, I skipped over your WOT posts... TL;DR..

Just spend a day in the Associations Thread, or Is It Just Me, or similar and this Thread, and you'll get your triple digit posts in no time.

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Just spend a day in the Associations Thread, or Is It Just Me, or similar and this Thread, and you'll get your triple digit posts in no time.
    http://www.techimo.com/forum/imo-com...-new-post.html

Also, it means that I don't sit here waiting for an update all day while everyone else is offline - only for them to get on just after I finish for the day....
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

hrmm, do we have any active board members that live in HI? I think its time for the itchy feet to move to a warmer climate ...

I thought we did have one or two, that used to be active?

too bad there's not a Location search option in the members search list.

Hawaii kind of is nice, but sucks for many other reasons.

Shipping .. is one thing

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 ... LastLast

Thread Information