+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Blog Entries

No More Duke : 3d Realms shuts down!

After a staggering 12 years, development of Duke Nukem Forever at 3D Realms may have finally ended—but not in the way fans might hope. Late last night, Shacknews broke the story that 3D Realms quietly shut down because of inadequate funding.
    Word first came from a "very reliable source" close to the development studio, but 3D Realms webmaster Joe Siegler later confirmed the report on the company's forums. Siegler's post explained simply, "It's not a marketing thing. It's true. I have nothing further to say at this time."
    3D Realms technically didn't release a self-developed game after 1997's Shadow Warrior. However, the firm stayed afloat by publishing or producing successful titles like the Max Payne series and Prey, along with third-party Duke Nukem games.
    Take-Two Interactive was supposed to publish DNF, but it told Shacknews it "was not funding ongoing development of the 3D Realms project." However, the publishing firm specifically noted that it "continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever." Therefore, development could theoretically continue—or start anew—at another game studio.
    Source

I cried a little. No more Duke Nukems!!
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    though its sad news, I'm not shedding a tear really.

have to laugh at this though. "because of inadequate funding."

well freak'n DUH, had they gotten off their ass's and developed some of their own games they just might of had some income coming in to stay afloat, instead of publishing/producing some other companies games. but no, get to a certain point then scratch the whole thing and start anew, wash, rinse, repeat... for 10+ plus freakin years for the same game title, just make the damn game and release it already.

but its also a bit discouraging to read that last part too...

"However, the publishing firm (Take-Two Interactive) specifically noted that it "continues to retain the publishing rights to Duke Nukem Forever." Therefore, development could theoretically continue—or start anew—at another game studio."

yeah, great, start anew and continue the tradition of cancelling the game part way or all the way through, then start from scratch again. DNF has got to be the biggest joke (vaporware) in computer/video gaming history.

if it comes out I'll be surprised.

as to 3DRealms going under, they got themselves into that position, and not really going to shed a tear over it.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Im with shy, they brought this on themselves and i cant really expect a game that has been in development that long to make it to the shelves ... bah ... more sad for the folks who worked and now dont have jobs.

Blog Entries
    And now they are getting sued.

Take-Two sues over Duke Forever non-completion - The Tech Report

Gee.. somebody gives you 12mill, and you don't produce. Who'd a thunk they'd want their money back?
    Q6600@4Ghz | i7 920@4.4Ghz |E6320@3.5Ghz
    FAQ's ~ Team Stats
    My PC

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Finally it can be laid to rest

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    hmm...always thought they'd pull it off. oh well.

wouldn't be surprised if someone else picks up the IP. Then again, who'd want it?

some leaked video has surfaced. Looked pretty fun, in that Serious Sam sort of way. Vid is NSFW.

edit: it would be the biggest punk of all time if the game is actually finished and they are just throwing this out there to get us interested again, then make a big announcement at E3 a few weeks from now.
    Last edited by tony_j15; May 17th, 2009 at 01:48 AM.
    All 1.21 of them.

Blog Entries
    Is it WID day?

May 3, 2011. I have taken my kid from my old gaming days in diapers to the point where she is driving during the development of this game. In 2001 I never would have guessed I might be playing DNF with one of my kids allowed in the room.

I have not played FPS video game in years, I think I might well break out the old gaming chair and spend a few weeks Kicking ass and chewing bubble gum.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but it has been brought back to life by Gear Box and to be released this May. Oh wait never mind now june

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide

No, we knew about the games release this year, FINALLY, but pushed back yet again, that we didn't know.

LOL, wonder how much heated discussion this is going to turn up, or at least negative comments towards the developers and Publisher, delaying the game yet AGAIN, after all the teaser trailers and video clips offered over the past several months, 1000 Times more worthwhile trailers and clips than what 3D Realms had offered over the last 10 years for the game.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GroundZero3 View Post
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but it has been brought back to life by Gear Box and to be released this May. Oh wait never mind now june

Gizmodo, the Gadget Guide
    Game stop still has May 3rd posted in their window.

Still find it funny that I will probably be able to play the game with my kids, But when I first saw the trailer that was not even a consideration.

Most of my kids were not alive when I was playing the original game.

Duke 3d.

Blog Entries
    It was originally confirmed to be released on May 3, 2011 in North America, with a worldwide release following on May 6, 2011.[11] This has however been delayed by a month to June 10 internationally with a North American release on June 14.[12]

Noooooooo! it's happening again. slip a date or two and soon you have 12 years of development

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    It was originally confirmed to be released on May 3, 2011 in North America, with a worldwide release following on May 6, 2011.[11] This has however been delayed by a month to June 10 internationally with a North American release on June 14.[12]

Noooooooo! it's happening again. slip a date or two and soon you have 12 years of development
    Um, that was already stated in GZ's Link to Gizmodo, about the dates being changed to June.

What I find stupid about this is the Release date for the US Version was to be first and Worldwide 2nd...

Now its Worldwide 1st and US 2nd.... That in of itself is just not Right, since Duke is US Game, first and foremost, no offense to our foreign members but us US members/Citizens should have first dibs/access to play the game before anyone outside the US.

Now if the game was originally derived from the UK, or elsewhere, outside North America, then fine, and released Globally first then NA 2nd... fine.

I just don't understand why companies do this, release games and products elsewhere other than the country/region they are from, develop the product from, etc, last.

I need to get my gamer fixed to play this one. Looking forward to it!

Blog Entries
    I dread it. I will probably lose many days of my life playing this stupid game

My only hope is that it is easy and or sucks.

Heh, this is funny:

Quote Originally Posted by Epidemic View Post
    I dread it. I will probably lose many days of my life playing this stupid game

My only hope is that it is easy and or sucks.
    From what I initially heard about the game, like most games these days, you'll be lucky if you get more than 2 or 3 days of game play out of it before you finish it.

Seems most games these days can easily be played through in about 20-40 hours of continuous game play. (you can thank the console systems and their Fanboy base for watering down the games on PC these days, and for the past 10 years as well, I think RPG's are about the only games left for either platform that retain their length of game play, along with some simulation/Sandbox type games)

Quote Originally Posted by howste View Post
    Heh, this is funny:

LOL, that is good.

Though Its still puzzling to me why International release comes out 4 days before the US release, to quote the end of that video "This Is Bullsh*t!"

After twelve years, 4 days is like seconds.

true, but its the principle of the thing, its a Home grown US game, its about as all american as "Country" music is (can't believe I just said that, not much of a fan of that music myself), anyways,

as long as the game is released in some form, that will be great.

Latest delay I just read about today is Mass Effect 3, pushed back till early 2012.

But with amount of "when Hell freezes over" events happening this year, Bin Laden Dead, and some other things, with Duke Forever Coming out, its a sure sign of the End Days, and 2012 fast approaching LOL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information