+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Why is my computer locking up in UT??

It's really got me puzzled. I've had UT on this machine for weeks. No problems at all. A few days ago I downloaded and somewhat successfully did the manual install of the Tactical Ops mod for UT (which, BTW, is an awesome mod IMO). Even after this, everything worked just fine. That lasted for about 1 day. Then suddenly one morning it started locking up. At present, under Win98 it locks up immediately, as soon as I start the game; under XP it lets me play several minutes before it locks up. Several things I've tried is reinstalling DirectX8.1, reinstalling my video card drivers, and reinstalling the game. None of these did any good. Finally I renamed the UT folder and reinstalled the game to the default folder, this time not adding any mods or bonus packs - just installing the 436 patch. Still no luck. I did check my IRQ's, and there's some things on the same IRQ as my vid card, but It's been that way for weeks with no problems. I find it hard to believe that's the issue in this case. All I can think of any more is that perhaps Tatical Ops messed up some of the Windows system files. Any tips, helps, solutions, ideas, etc. would be very much appreciated.

Banned
    hey whats your system spec's??

Ultimate Member
    Epox 8KHA+

Duron 1.0Ghz @ 1.173Ghz

256MB PC2100 Crucuial DDRAM

ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO

Sound Blaster 16 PCI

40Gig Maxtor HDD@7200

Lite-On 16XDVD;48XCD

OSes - Win98SE;WinXP Pro;Mandrake8.1

Also I forgot to mention in the last post, my computer also locked up in my screen saver, which currently is 3D Text. That's why I first suspected DirectX (but don't those 3D windows screen savers run with OpenGL??) or my video card drivers and promptly reinstalled them.

I found out the hard way that UT is extremely sensitive to overclocking. You might try declocking a bit then try UT to see if it fixes your problem. It did mine.

that'll be cos its a generic problem with UT. It basically h8s WinXP and 2k and u get that annoying lockup problem

not sure y its doing it under win98 though that is odd
    Last edited by AshTrai; January 20th, 2002 at 06:43 PM.
    [UKČ]AshTrai

Yes, try samwichse said, my friends tried to run with OC and it didnt work. ...odd

anyways its great to know there there are more pplz play TO, its my #1 game right now... but school again comes first arg...
    PM me sometime, well play a few matches.

aznlurkerz

edit: also one more thing... whats with all this cheating i hear on TO? i've looked any look and i've sen NOTHING like AIMbot for TO.... i know that CS is the worst in that area.. cheaters galore... but on TO? hmm... sometiems it seems like people are cheating seeing scores like 30/0 makes ya think...
    Last edited by aznlurkerz; January 20th, 2002 at 06:31 PM.

jump on a jolt server then - loads of admins about... and the clanservers always have admins on em (cos they bought the server)

btw, there has been an outcry in TO2.2 cos there is an aimbot . But then it will be coded out in the next version anyway (TO has inbuilt cheat/hack protection)
    [UKČ]AshTrai

ohh can you help me there, can i use gamespy with TO? i've never tried it b4, and how do i get to this server? and again aimbot is just dumb......... makes playing no fun.

aznlurkerz

edit: ack also... what were the changes made to TO2.2 i ahve seen any besides the prices changes int eh weapons.

nah- stuff gamespy... there is an inbuilt browser in UT/TO. Go into TO, then hit multiplayer>find internet games then hit the internet games tab and it'll find and list em all for u
    (tip: put it in alphabetical order by name and the jolts will be at the bottom... there are about 20 of em)
    [UKČ] (my clan) also have a Jolt server so pop in some time
    Last edited by AshTrai; January 20th, 2002 at 06:52 PM.
    [UKČ]AshTrai

Originally posted by aznlurkerz
    ohh can you help me there, can i use gamespy with TO? i've never tried it b4, and how do i get to this server? and again aimbot is just dumb......... makes playing no fun.

aznlurkerz

edit: ack also... what were the changes made to TO2.2 i ahve seen any besides the prices changes int eh weapons.
    2.2 is a bug fix patch - it fixed the armour bug(where u weren't able to buy armour at the spawn point sometimes) and loads of others...
    It also fiddled with the confire (the thing that makes ur bullets spoon everywhere when u fire the gun)... they also upped the strength of the armour which a lot of ppl are annoyed at cos it makes some weapons unusable cos they are just too weak (mp5 in particular)

goto the TO forums @ http://forums.tactical-ops.to/
    Last edited by AshTrai; January 20th, 2002 at 06:51 PM.
    [UKČ]AshTrai

i agree the mp5 is just a stinky weapon now...

btw what your clan page and TO name?

aznlurkerz

Ultimate Member
    Well I tried declocking with no luck. Still freezes up.

Ultimate Member
    Okay, I completely deleted all the UT files from all my partitions, then scandisked and defragged both partitions. UT is actually loading on Win98 now, but after two matches it locked up. I rebooted, tried again, and it locked up in the first match. I guess I'll try reinstalling windows because I can't think of anything else to try anymore.

try cleaning out the registry of all refernces to UT and TO and try it again before you re-install.. hey what ya got o lose right??

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for the idea. I did however clean out all references to UT, and I had done the manual install for TO so that didn't have any. Thus that's not the problem in this case unfortunately. I'm pretty much at the end of my rope here.

same problem here lately.
    Did you load the 436 patch?
    I dont remember having any probs until I did the patch, but I had to to play on the server I use.

Does the problem show up when playing alone?

Try older Video drivers.

I havent figured my problem yet, but it seems less frequest over the last few weeks

I have that crash rarely.....about once a week(I play everyday)heh. BTW I'm FMJ|Pvt._Snowball in TO. I have been playing since the 1.6 version dayz and i know it used to never crash on me playing in d3d on my old voodoo3 3000pci. I run a geforce3 now and get that damn crash. It crashes on me if i try to play while my comp is still cold almost immediatly! I havent figured that out yet...heh but, back to the subject. I have an OC'ed 1.2GHz athlon @1305MHz and going back to 1.2GHz didnt solve anything for me. one thing that did settle the crash down to once a weak was doing a small tweak to UT TO. Someone put up a link that basically gave this info which helped me a little bit.

p e r f o r m a n c e t w e a k s
    FrenZon from riot.com.au has a fix to greatly improve stuttering and choppiness:

Start Unreal and goto Unreal's Options/Advanced Options/Advanced/Game Engine Setting/CacheSizeMegs
    It will probably be set to '2'.
    Change it to a number about 5 to 10 less than your computers memory (gotta leave some for win95??).
    Example: I have 48mb of ram and I set mine to 40. (Play with your setting but use as large a number as possible)
    Close the window and exit Unreal properly. Restart Unreal and enjoy much less stuttering.
    As far as I can tell it seems to be a similar setting to Quake1's -winmem switch but it seems to make a much bigger difference in smooth gameplay when playing Unreal.

that was takin from http://www.planetunreal.com/game/tweaks.shtml as i could not find the thread or exact link i used but that is what i remember doing. I hope this helps in some way.

If you see other FMJ members online or ingame, they are my close freinds who play the game also and we hook up on weekends for LAN fragging once in a while. We arent a real clan by any means...just Full Metal Jacket Fans!!! Stan is tha man!
    Last edited by sKiT; January 24th, 2002 at 12:25 AM.

Ultimate Member
    Thanks for all the tips guys. I've done a lot of testing since my last post in this thread, and I know by now that it's not something in UT that's causing the problem. It's some hardware issue, and right now I'm suspecting the CPU. I've tested about all the components that could be causing it, and only the mobo and CPU are left... so I really hope it is just the cpu.

What kind of error mesage do you get (if any) when UT crashes?

If you do get an error message, copy it down and Google it.

I, a few months back, could not play UT for several weeks. I checked around could not find any help-- even from UT's tech support. I eventually Googled it and found an post on Deus Ex board with my same problem. DE uses the UT Engine, and evidently the UT engine was not compatible with my joystick software--- !!!

If you don't get an error message; my advice would be to completely uninstall UT, clean out the registry and do a fresh reinstall.

UT is a buggy game. It gets tempermental about overclocking, video settings, what particulat video drivers you are using, and even joystick software for a joystick that you don't even use for UT!

Good luck.
    New Dad since 07/06/2005

I think my issue was the memory setting at 133.
    Change it to 100 and it seems fine?
    Dont know why, as its all 133?
    Need to test it I guess

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information