+ Reply to Thread

Save problems in Black & White.

My wife has this problem and she asked me to ask you, so there she goes:

I am playing black and white for the past few weeks and eversince I went onto island 3 (where my creature is held captive) when I am about to overtake the 3rd village and free it, everytime I try to save I get an error that ranblack.exe has exited abnormally.

I run W2k SP2 and run my games off a FAT32 partition (but OS is on NTFS). It's weird as it seems to be gameplay related and really have no problems saving before this point.

If you could help me I would appreciated. Also if anyone has a saved game past this point that wouldn't mind sharing so that I could use to bypass the issue I'd be gratefull too!
    Thank you for your time

Well then don't save there! No but really, my wife and kid have never run into that prob. My only suggestion is to save either a little ways before or, better yet, after you take on the village.

Oh dear

Is it the patched version? The save game system in the unpatched version was a mess. Some people never encountered problems and some people had pretty much nothing but problems, like me. I suspect the patched version still has a few gremlins but I was able to make it work for me (well after reinstalling the game and starting from scratch anyway). Installing the patch on my corrupt game cured nothing for me.

I got the game when it was first released and had no problems until several hours into land 2 when I couldn't save the game whatsoever (even if I tried saving straight away). I also had some instability problems where it'd crash after a few hours of play without saving (didn't happen on land 1). Installing the patch did nothing so I uninstalled the game before reinstalling and patching it up. I then turned autosave off (apparently the cause of some issues) and only played it for an hour or so before exiting the game (where it saves the game automatically). If I still wanted to play it, I'd just load it up again and carry on (after a reboot (Win98SE). Using this method I was able to play without any crashing or failed saves. Maybe my method of avoiding problems is over the top but my faith in the B&W save game system has been severely damaged.

Also, backing up save games is pretty complex. It involves several files and registry keys plus I think the save game is tied to the creature so even if you used someone else's game, it'd probably not be your creature anymore. I haven't tried myself, when I formatted my drives recently I just started the game from the beginning again. I think there are various utilities for backing up your game but whether any of them work or not, I've no idea.

Anyways, I think unless you get lucky in that someone here has had the exact same problem (or Atomic Rooster's suggestion works), you'd be better off trying the forums at www.bwgame.com (the official B&W site and forums).

Good luck

Edit: Another thing, when I exit the game, I try and do it when not much is happening to minimise the chances of corrupting something.
    Last edited by Dudster; January 27th, 2002 at 11:55 PM.

Thank you both,

well Rooster's suggestion didn't work, as it won't save even after she gets te village and frees the Creature.

This is the patched game and she has already started it once (i.e second time) from scratch before we found out about the patch (the game would crash). So after the patch she started over and now I guess she will have to do it again, but what pisses me of is that she has no guaranty that it will be the last time she has to do it and I really hate it to see her frustrated!!!!

This is the error btw: http://tacops.gamesmania.de/host2/darn.jpg

I know what ya mean but I think using the methods I use to prevent problems is pretty close to a garrauntee that it won't happen again (before formatting my drives I notched up over a 100 hours playing time and was well into land 4 without a hint of a problem).

I've just started playing it again as of today as I want a creature ready for when the Creature Isle addon gets released on Feb 8th (you can start it with a fresh creature but I'd rather use a ready-made personalised one).

I had a quick look at the B&W forums earlier and there was nothing doing. Someone started a thread about it crashing and apart from one responce saying the same as I have, it was just people posting things like "the game's buggy, deal with it" and the mods certainly don't seem to give a monkey's.

The only other thing my wife came up with is to disable the auto-save feature if it's possible. She's not sure if it can be done.

Yeah there's a checkbox in the options menu (press Esc when in-game). I was glad to turn it off, I couldn't stand the game pausing every 5 minutes regardless of what was happening.

Unhappy Help me

Hi, I know this is years later, but I've finally giving the game a go an I've got the same problem as you, gets a couple of hours into the 2 level and it wont save anymore, even if I save it myself, there are no pictures in the frames in your temple, I've uninstalled it and started again but its the exact same problem, I was just wondering where you got the patch from? it would be a great help, I love the game but if I have to start again one more time! thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by Dudster View Post
    Yeah there's a checkbox in the options menu (press Esc when in-game). I was glad to turn it off, I couldn't stand the game pausing every 5 minutes regardless of what was happening.
    help

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dudster View Post
    help

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information