View Poll Results: Are emulators illegal?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

11 31.43%
  • no

16 45.71%
  • taco bell

8 22.86%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Are emulators illegal?

I wanted to know. In previous threads, I remember some arguements whether it is or not. Your opinions?

Blog Entries
    They are legal, but in order to play any game that isn't freeware, you must have purchased it at one point in time...

EDIT...I meant to say they are legal.
    Last edited by EXreaction; December 19th, 2005 at 09:41 PM.
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by EXreaction
    Yes they are, but in order to play any game that isn't freeware, you must have purchased it at one point in time...
    so logically that means?

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes emulators are ILLEGAL and no purchasing a game doesn't allow you the rights to alter the game just use it as it was originally intended. Just as purchasing a game doesn't allow you the right to burn a hundred copies to give to friends.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Blog Entries
    EDITED my last post...
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RicheemxX
    Yes emulators are ILLEGAL and no purchasing a game doesn't allow you the rights to alter the game just use it as it was originally intended. Just as purchasing a game doesn't allow you the right to burn a hundred copies to give to friends.
    I am getting confused from your post and EXreaction post. How about freewares? Freewares are free..... There is no difference between going over to your freinds house and downloading for him than making him a cd and give it to him so he can download it. That makes no difference.

Nope. I say they're not. The emulator itself isn't illegal. It's the roms people download or share that could get you into trouble. IF (yeah right, how many people have this) you own the game, AND you own the device that allows you to create the rom, then you can use the rom yourself, provided you still have the original game.

This is my limited understanding. Doesn't really matter to me

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    lol go to the first site:
    Is emulation really legal?

gba romsYes it is. The case of SONY V. CONNECTIX found that unauthorized emulation is perfectly legal. It was the decision of the court that CONNECTIX had the right to emulate the SONY Playstation and that reverse engineering of the Playstation BIOS for such a cause fell under fair usage. As a result of this case CONNECTIX was allowed to release it's Virtual Gaming Station for the Mac OS.

According to 90% of the info i have read...emulators are legal....roms vary....legal if two things happen 1. you own the original game and/or 2. the game is no longer commercially sold....they are illegal if the above 2 rules are not followed...so getting a game 5 days after its released by no paying for it but downloading it and emulating it....is ILLEGAL....
    Last edited by DragonZero; December 19th, 2005 at 10:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    "When it comes to be when the soothing light at the end of your tunnel...is just a frieght train coming your way." ~Metallica, No Leaf Clover.

So downloading a Nintendo emulator and Super Mario Bros. 3 is technically legal as the system and game is not longer available at retail stores?

Heh then i don't want to ve righit..............*hides the 256 gb hdd full of roms*

Blog Entries
    Well, you can download the emulator, but Nintendo still owns the game even if it is off store shelves...in fact, they own they game for something like 75 years after the create it...

So when downloading a game, it is not legal just because they don't sell it at stores any more.

Blog Entries
    Actually, Nintendo has their own section on stuff like this:
    http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

well i know for a fact that sony PS1 games are all safe to rom now...that is coming from a private community that has strict rules about which games are uploaded on their site..... and patents do protect games for like 75 years...but if its no longer commercially sold they don't care so much becuase its not bringing in that much cash anymore

of course nintendo relies a lot on the revenues from their games because they tend to be on a lower scale that sony or mircosoft (both of which have other sources of revenue other than gaming industry)
    Last edited by DragonZero; December 19th, 2005 at 10:38 PM.
    "When it comes to be when the soothing light at the end of your tunnel...is just a frieght train coming your way." ~Metallica, No Leaf Clover.

Blog Entries
    Well, it might be true that they don't care much anymore, but it is still illegal to use them without purchasing them.

I think they're Taco Bell, like it says on the question.

Hey EX go to Dean: losing war in Iraq pgs. 6,7,8

and another fact to put out there...i dont download Nintendo roms or emulators based on the fact that i dont like Nintendo, other than the Metroid series...which i legitimately already own...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information