+ Reply to Thread
    Blog Entries

What's metascore?

In steam, there is a little section next to your games, that says "metascore."

Half life and Half life 2 has 96, with cs 1.6 88, and so on...

i am curious. What is metascore?

I am pretty sure that is a rating for how good the game is. I don't know where they get the results from, but usually they are pretty accurate. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Each movie, game, book and album featured on metacritic.com is assigned a METASCORE®, which is a weighted average of all of the scores assigned by individual critics to that movie, game, book or album. On a typical film page, for example, you will see the individual critic scores next to each of their quotes, while the overall METASCORE will be displayed at the top of the page. Book METASCORES are calculated slightly differently, but the underlying concept is the same.

METASCORES range from 0-100, with higher scores indicating better overall reviews, and lower scores indicating less favorable reviews from critics. Various ranges of METASCORES are also identified by different colors, so you can tell at a glance how critics felt: generally, green scores indicate favorable reviews, yellow scores denote mixed reviews, and red scores are used for unfavorable reviews.
    Metacritic
    All 1.21 of them.

Blog Entries
    Ah...Thank you very much tony!

I love metacritic! I use it mostly for new music, but it really is an awsome site for ratings of all multimedia.

Metapoints Steam

Quote Originally Posted by xelnanga View Post
    In steam, there is a little section next to your games, that says "metascore."

Half life and Half life 2 has 96, with cs 1.6 88, and so on...

i am curious. What is metascore?
    I want to ask the same question, what is metascore on steam?
    I might think itīs free points you get when you bye a produkt from steam. When you then have enough points you can have a game for free. I know other companies do this for holding their costumers but im not sure.
    Are some who know with 100% certaint, what metapoints is on Steam.

The Jiggawatts, Marty! tony_j15's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by littlemanspeaksa View Post
    I want to ask the same question, what is metascore on steam?
    Welcome to TechIMO! This question has already been answered, which you would have noticed if you had actually read the thread.
    Also, there is no such thing as "metapoints" on Steam.
    All 1.21 of them.

Am I the only one who finds this metacritic business as a bit disturbing? You don't read the reviews just raw data. It is common for book reviewers to review only authors that they know, or books that inexplicably begin to sell. It is still common for movie critics to take points off of any science fiction or horror movie that they review. If you read the review itself at least you discover what they say they don't like about the reviewed item. For example, I have loved certain games for their artwork, concept but disliked how easy the controls were for me to manage. Other popular games such as a certain game glamorizing car theft I dislike because I feel that they encourage illegal and immoral behavior. I played one game and enjoyed it quite a bit, but it was just too short. I read about 300 books a year these days, and I love some for content, others for style others have great style, voice etc, but I hate what they are saying so much that I want to throw the book at the wall. Surely, a review says almost as much about the reviewer as the thing reviewed?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information