+ Reply to Thread

Using PS3 with Sprint Mobile Broadband USB Modem

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move it if it is.

Ok, heres the deal. I have this :
    http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...PcsPhones.html
    Its like a wireless internet card that connects through the USB port. And my question is, is there any way I can set this up as an access point to use it with my PS3? See I live out in the middle of nowhere and this is the closest thing I can get to high-speed internet, and it works pretty well, otherwise all I have is dial up =/

I dont think theres anyway I can set this up to use it, but I could be wrong. Ive seen people hook up the PS3 and use it with dial up, so maybe theres some hope :P. does anyone else have this, or has anyone else tried using this? Thanks in advance.

Not Really a Member
    Only thing I can think of is if you setup your laptop as a gateway with Internet sharing or something like that.. not sure how reliable it would be though.. wireless internet play.. sounds pretty slow!

Windows Internet Sharing

Yeah, it probably wont be THAT reliable and ill probably lag a little bit, but its still better than dial up. Also, I use this with my desktop PC, not a laptop. it works great on my desktop PC. Just wondering what I need to setup in order to detect it on my PS3 or hook up my PS3 to my PC.

you only need a free network port on the pc, connect that to a switch, then plug in a wireless access point that the ps3 is configured to connect to, and on the pc, enable internet connection sharing for the sprint wireless network connection and you should be good to go. I'd be skeptical about the performance as well, but theres no reason it wouldn't work. It would almost definately violate your sprint terms of service though...if they somehow found out.
    FalcomPSX

Smile HELP!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_Marsh View Post
    Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong forum, please move it if it is.

Ok, heres the deal. I have this :
    Sprint Mobile Broadband USB Modem by Novatel ™ Wireless Ovation U720
    Its like a wireless internet card that connects through the USB port. And my question is, is there any way I can set this up as an access point to use it with my PS3? See I live out in the middle of nowhere and this is the closest thing I can get to high-speed internet, and it works pretty well, otherwise all I have is dial up =/

I dont think theres anyway I can set this up to use it, but I could be wrong. Ive seen people hook up the PS3 and use it with dial up, so maybe theres some hope :P. does anyone else have this, or has anyone else tried using this? Thanks in advance.
    i hav been searching forages to find thhis out can u like connect the usb into the playstation and use it from there..?

hahaha, just make sure your not paying by the megabyte =)

Not Really a Member
    I'd be curious if he ever got this working.
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

yeah i know, its actually an interesting idea...

Yes, I actually did get this working. It's been forever since I've done it, since this topic was made in 2007......

I remember setting up a shared connection between my computer and my PS3, and connected the PS3 to my comp with an Ethernet cable. It was pretty simple actually, and surprising worked quite well. I didn't notice any lag either, which REALLY surprised me.

Since then I bought a PC card from sprint and a router for it and use that now. It's easier to network since the PS3 will detect the PC card wirelessly.

wow, I'm impressed. All I can say is you either put a lot of work into this or got very lucky

Not Really a Member
    I didn't even realize I had posted this 2 years ago

Thanks for verifying the solution, others can try to make it work too
    Helicopters don't fly; they vibrate so much and make so much noise that the earth rejects them.

PS3 mobile broad band connection

I fallowed all this step but after that I got the following error "IP Address timed out", but I manage to fix it and I'm going to detail what I did.

I have a Sierra Wireless card Compass 597 and I'm using Window XP ( I need to try this with Ubuntu)

1) Go to --> Start
    --> Control Panel
    --> Network Connections

2) Now select the mobile broadband connection (mine was called Mobile)
    --> Right-Click on it
    --> Properties
    --> Advanced

3) At the bottom theres the "Network Set Up Wizard" --> Click it

4) Press --> Next
    --> Next
    --> Click in the box that says "Ignore disconnected network hardware" and press Next
    --> select the first option "This computer connects directly to the Internet. The other computers
    on my network connect to the internet through this computer"

5) Choose the mobile connection e.g

Mobile Sierra Wireless Compass 597 EVDO Modem #3
    --> Click Next

6) Now choose the private connection.
    - In order to connect the PS3 to the computer you need a 'Lan connection'
    mine was " Local Area Connection (Lan)"
    --> Click Next.

7) Give the Computer a description or name
    --> Click Next

8) Name the Network
    --> Click Next

9) File and Printer sharing (its up to you if you want to share it or not)
    --> Click Next

10) Then Click Next and the change will be done.

11) Go again to step 2 and Under "Network connection sharing" check the box that saids:
    "Allow other networks users to connect through this computer internet connection".
    Then in the Home Network Connection bar choose the Lan connection that you created in the Wizard.
    In my case "Local Area Connection"

I left my IP and DNS in auto acquire for the Lan and the Shared Mobile connection. I hope this help to the people that got the timed out error (just like myself). If this work and you able to update the PS3 try to restart the PS3 because after I updated it the error happen again but after I turned of my laptop and PS3 everything was ok again.

Hey Glad to read this!

I am about to buy a PS3 and was just wondering how to connect via my Sprint Mobile device ... When I get the machine I will follow your lead. Glad to read I need an ethernet cable...

Now the only question is which PS3 machine to get; 80gb or 160gb

Do any of you have thoughts on this? Is 160gb worth it? Will I ever use that much memory on games? Most likely that memory would be for downloaded movies from what I read. Let me know what your views are.

Thanks, Scott

SOLUTION!!! :-D

Good news buddy. There is a way. You may have already called sprint to find out they "don't support that function". But they just want you to pay their $99.99 Mi-Fi monthly charges instead, even though this setup works almost as good. I called and bothered them so much, they eventually just caved in. (I basically threatened to switch to broadband). I know you don't have that luxury, because they know you live out of range; lol. I knew it was gonna be some type of router, but none of them worked. Well, there is one (maybe another out there) called the Cradlepoint PHS-300. It's a personal wi-fi hotspot maker that actually works quite well. Since it is mobile, I have used it in rural settings also outside of highspeed broadband range myself, so I am sure it will work for you :-D It lists for 179.99, so you should be able to get it for 130-150ish

wait, jem masters...that is so crazy that you got it to work. I did ALL of that, however, I have vista, so some of those settings are not available (or I couldn't find them) ...You don't happen to know your way around it using vista do you? You would be helping aLOT of my friends from back home in the boondocks of Ohio where nobody gets anything but these seirra compasses. Can you please help them so I can pwn'em online! lol

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information