+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

Medieval 2: Total War Install Issues on Vista

So, I'm trying to install Medieval 2: Total War on Windows Vista 32-bit, but when I tell the disc to Autoplay, a command prompt window opens up, then quickly closes and that's it.

I've explored into the disc to try and run the blank.exe file from there, but that did the same thing. I copied the files from the disc onto my hard drive, tried it again from there, and same thing. I tried running both the files on the hard drive and the disc in Administrator mode, same thing.

I don't know what else to do here, can't find a damn thing about it on Google.

Suggestions?
    This is a +10 Post of Awesomeness. It is impervious to rebuttal, factual inaccuracies, and logical inconsistencies. Opinions expressed are 100% truth.

Is the game Vista compatible? more specifically does it say anywhere on the box that it is?

As memory serves, it was out before Vista so you may need to patch the install to work properly. Do a google search for the game and see if you can find the publishers website and hopefully a support site that will have a patch for Vista compatability.

Ultimate Member
    How can I patch the game before install? I've never heard of that before.

Can't find a pre-install Vista compatibility patch, either.
    Last edited by JimRune; November 15th, 2007 at 04:48 PM.
    This is a +10 Post of Awesomeness. It is impervious to rebuttal, factual inaccuracies, and logical inconsistencies. Opinions expressed are 100% truth.

Just did a search and found that it is compatible. Something may be wrong with your system if your having problems installing. Is this the only game your having a problem with or is it anything you put in and expect to have it autoplay?
    Last edited by nemowolf; November 15th, 2007 at 10:01 PM.

Ultimate Member
    Just this game. Everything else autoplays fine, even Fallout 2.

Here's an image I managed to capture of what happens:

That CMD window pops up, and closes just that quickly. That's all that happens. The setup there is just an icon, it doesn't execute anything. The blank.exe there is the installer.
    Last edited by JimRune; November 16th, 2007 at 12:46 AM.

Thumbs up Installing on Windows Vista Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by JimRune View Post
    So, I'm trying to install Medieval 2: Total War on Windows Vista 32-bit, but when I tell the disc to Autoplay, a command prompt window opens up, then quickly closes and that's it.

I've explored into the disc to try and run the blank.exe file from there, but that did the same thing. I copied the files from the disc onto my hard drive, tried it again from there, and same thing. I tried running both the files on the hard drive and the disc in Administrator mode, same thing.

I don't know what else to do here, can't find a damn thing about it on Google.

Suggestions?
    Hi JimRune, I had a simular problem installing under Vista, here a way I found to make it work. 1. Insert DVD 1 - Dont run autoplay or just exit if it comes up 2. Open the cd rom drive from "Computer" in Vista 3. Right click the "Setup.exe" file and select "Properties" 4. Select "Compatibility Tab" and Tick "Run this program for compatibilty" 5. Select "Windows XP SP2" 6. Then double click the "Setup.exe" file This worked for me, hope this helps. Wook

Ultimate Member
    Thanks man, but that didn't work.

Ultimate Member
    So, basically, am I done for here?

*bump*

Ultimate Member
    Okay, I got it to work. Turns out that I had disc two out of two in the drive, not the first one. Took me a long time to find the first disc, but now I have new problems.

This isn't my first time installing the game on Vista. I did it months ago, and the game worked absolutely fine.

Now, after installing the game successfully, double-clicking on the icon yields no results, or so it seems. Here's the procedure:

1) I double-click on the icon. Nothing appears to happen, however, Task Manager lists the process "~e5.0001" as running. This is the copy protection software for the game. Task Manager also lists "medieval2.exe" as running.

2) I go to My Computer, double-click on the disc itself. Nothing happens, except now Explorer.exe has stopped responding.

3) I close Explorer.exe once I get the error message. Once this happens, then the splash window with the option to play the game and change options, etc. appears. This is the only time the window will appear. I think it's necessary to note that even though my start menu and desktop icons disappear, "Explorer.exe" is still running in Task Manager and it will not close when I attempt to do so. Attempts to close the aforementioned "medieval2.exe" also fail. "~e5.0001" however, will close.

I have tried different combinations of Compatibility options for the game launcher installed on my system and the one on the disc. I have installed all the patches for the game, and likewise uninstalled it and tried running it again without all the patches installed. In each case, the game will just not start until everything has frozen up. My system requirements are more than enough to run this game. I have also tried switching from Vista Aero to Vista Basic but the small change in performance does not affect this odd way for the game to start.

I can't seem to find anything related to the game not starting on Vista, using Google.
    Last edited by JimRune; December 28th, 2007 at 05:18 AM.

yup

im having the same exact problems, just got game tonight, and i havent tryed all the solution posts but if you get this maybe you could tell me something that could help, thanks again

Blank.exe

Hi guys - same deal here. There is no setup.exe. The autorun file references blank.exe, but if I execute that, I get a brief command prompt window launching with no content and closing immediately. And that's it!

No browse for installing Medieval II

Hi,

I'm trying to install Medieval II onto my PC but there's no browse to select the location to install the game to. It defaults to the C drive. My machine is partitioned with the OS (Vista) on a 20GB partition (c and the rest of the HD as D: Both Rome Total War and Empire Total War allowed me to specify an install directory. Is there a way round this for Medieval II without adjusting my partitions?

Thanks,

Ben.
    Last edited by sidciv; June 4th, 2010 at 06:08 PM.

Arrow A Solution

For anyone experiencing an issue with Total War:Medieval 2 installing or has their OS tell them to insert the correct disc to play, this was what solved my own problem and I hope it helps you.

I had actually installed the game on a separate drive. MY OS was on C:\ but I was installing to my second hard drive (E:\). I haven't had a problem doing this in years but it came up again with this game. To fix this problem, you just have to install it onto your C:\ drive. It then reads everything as it should and the game loads.

I won't claim this is the solution for you but I thought it was worth putting up here in case. Good luck

Hey guys, so i installed the game just fine and it opens up the menu to play the game. However once i click to run it the game window never pops up. I have a windows vista and itd be appreciated to get some answers
    Last edited by angrynowegian; January 9th, 2016 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information