+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I finally found a torch. It was on a guy in the cave where you do the Golden Claw quest. It works really well.

I was debating on getting the PC instead of the PS3 version, but decided to get the PS3 version after reading that Bethesda actually made the PS3 version this time, instead of it being a port done by a third party company. At the end in Oblivion the frame rate was dropping down to what seemed like around 3fps on the PS3. Skyrim is a lot smoother.

Also, it seems that the controls are geared more towards console controllers rather than a keyboard and mouse. (The directional menu and all)

However, a thumbstick still sucks for aiming arrows.

Plus, playing while laying in bed is so much more comfortable than sitting in my office chair for hours.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

@Blizkit haha that is why you have to use a recliner for your computer office chair like I do =P

On topic. I've been playing Skyrim since it came out without to much of a break. I have about 69 hours into the game so far, and I'd say I'm over half way through the story line. For me this is much longer then Oblivion. I beat Oblivion in about 3 days and about 35 hours, with about 80% of the game done. I am enjoying the game much better then oblivion, but for me so far, the game hasn't come close yet to Morrowind. I spent about 800 hours in that game, and I still don't mind installing it every few years to give it another play through.

As for my system:
    Amd Phenom II x4 965 @ stock 3.40 GHz
    8 gigs of ram
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6900
    Intel 120gb SSD
    Running on windows 7 64

The game is running at max settings without any problems so far. Though the game has a memory leak somewhere. As After a long time of play, it will crash to desktop.
    In life one must Chill

Quote Originally Posted by Daft_Ghosty View Post
    @Blizkit haha that is why you have to use a recliner for your computer office chair like I do =P

On topic. I've been playing Skyrim since it came out without to much of a break. I have about 69 hours into the game so far, and I'd say I'm over half way through the story line. For me this is much longer then Oblivion. I beat Oblivion in about 3 days and about 35 hours, with about 80% of the game done. I am enjoying the game much better then oblivion, but for me so far, the game hasn't come close yet to Morrowind. I spent about 800 hours in that game, and I still don't mind installing it every few years to give it another play through.

As for my system:
    Amd Phenom II x4 965 @ stock 3.40 GHz
    8 gigs of ram
    ATI/AMD Radeon HD 6900
    Intel 120gb SSD
    Running on windows 7 64

The game is running at max settings without any problems so far. Though the game has a memory leak somewhere. As After a long time of play, it will crash to desktop.
    I'm sure you missed a lot in Oblivion with only 35 hours of gameplay. I easily put in 240hours and I still had several side quests I missed.

Some people are saying Skyrim playtime should range from 300-600 hours if you do everything.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    if you do everything right, as in take your time going through the game and fully exploring it, and not rushing through the main quests and main side quests.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    I'm sure you missed a lot in Oblivion with only 35 hours of gameplay. I easily put in 240hours and I still had several side quests I missed.

Some people are saying Skyrim playtime should range from 300-600 hours if you do everything.
    Friends didn't believe me back when I did it either, but back then I had the save file to prove it. What made Oblivion so fast to play was the fact that the game lvled with you. There was no running into hard stuff, leaving to lvl up some and then coming back. Because it didn't matter. The mobs just changed lvls with you. Mix that with the play style I use. Which is Thief/Assassin (the 3x damage bonus with bows from the shadows allow one shot kills to about 70% of my kills which really sped up the game. Combined with that I could just sneak past allot of content.). And the fact I played through the Thief and Dark Brotherhood missions first, made every other faction quest line go by in just about 3 hours a piece. I know I missed some side quests, but not allot. I left something like 20 to 25% of the game unfinished. I know this to be fact as I was so displeased with how short the game was I read every FAQ on the game, and even looked through a friends prima guide . Apart from the fact I chose the hardest faction line to do first I did almost everything. I went back and explored after the fact as well to make sure I didn't miss anything.

In short ( ha ha) I blew through the game faster then anyone else I know, and I don't think that is something to brag about. I was really looking forward to the game after all the time I spent in Morrowind, I really wanted another game just like it was. I was looking forward to grinding through hundreds of hours, and for my efforts I got about 35.

Some of the things that made it so easy to go this fast. One as I mentioned play theif, and DB stuff first. Two get your hands on a horse at the start of the game, and ride all over the map and ignore everything just so you can discover all the points on the map, b/c that brings you to the Third thing. Fast travel. Morrowind had fast travel in the form of boats, mage disks, and Silt Striders. Oblivion had fast travel that would take you instantly to a spot in seconds, when in Morrowind would take a good twenty minutes to run to the spot on foot. Take away the fast travel in Oblivion, and I would have spend a good hundred hours in the game, just moving back and forth between my missions. I don't think people really understand how much time they spend just getting to the spot they want to go, compared to how much time they spend at the spot once they get to where they are going. Now Skyrim for instance. I didn't steal a horse and travel the map in this game, so I spent allot of time walking to where I needed, even after fast traveling to a place that was close. With all the mountains it made it hard to go any other way then the path leading to the spot. And because of that my game has 90 hours into it, and all the faction quests are done, and the main story line. I'd say I have finished about 68% of the game. I still need to go back to all the villages, and do the non repeating quests there. By doing that I think I can put another 40 hours into the game. Then again I may just start the game over and play it again on the side of the Imps this time, and not the stormcloaks. Maybe play as a Paladin like character instead of my normal thief assassin. Either way I'll be looking forward to an expansion.
    In life one must Chill

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_Ghosty View Post
    With all the mountains it made it hard to go any other way then the path leading to the spot. And because of that my game has 90 hours into it, and all the faction quests are done, and the main story line. I'd say I have finished about 68% of the game. I still need to go back to all the villages, and do the non repeating quests there. By doing that I think I can put another 40 hours into the game. Then again I may just start the game over and play it again on the side of the Imps this time, and not the stormcloaks. Maybe play as a Paladin like character instead of my normal thief assassin. Either way I'll be looking forward to an expansion.
    Wait... so the game came out just 9 days ago (counting today)....

You've put 10 hours a day into skyrim over the past 9 days

I commend you if you have, but you may need to get some much nuch needed nutrients from the sun to make up for the lack of it lately

___

On a side note, I almost always play the same class as you, however I spend so much time unlocking every door, stealing from people, exploring everything and anything that I can and never feel like I could rush through it like that.

I spent a good 140 hours on Oblivion, and there are still tons of quests I did not touch. I didn't even go half through the fighters guild nor did I ever touch the mages guild.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Box: Intel Pentium G3258 / 4gb DDR3 1600 / Lubuntu 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430 / Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667 / Lubuntu 32bit

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    HAHA The old basket over the head trick.

Blog Entries
    Speaking of the PS3 version... (nice trick btw, thanks lol) watching multiple comparison videos it really seems the PS3 version's port was less than stellar. Seems like the textures are a bit blurry, and overall less draw distance and clarity.

The PC clearly outshines the consoles, but I must admit I was quite in awe at how good it looked in both 1080p (Phillips 40" LED 240hz) and 1080i (Old CRT HDTV I keep around as it still looks great) on the 360.
    Main PC: Intel i7 4790k / 16gb DDR3 2400 / Sapphire R9 290X / Win7 Pro 64bit
    Linux Box: Intel Pentium G3258 / 4gb DDR3 1600 / Lubuntu 64bit
    Laptop: HP-Compaq nc8430 / Intel CoreDuo T2400 / 2gb DDR2 667 / Lubuntu 32bit

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    Speaking of the PS3 version... (nice trick btw, thanks lol) watching multiple comparison videos it really seems the PS3 version's port was less than stellar. Seems like the textures are a bit blurry, and overall less draw distance and clarity.

The PC clearly outshines the consoles, but I must admit I was quite in awe at how good it looked in both 1080p (Phillips 40" LED 240hz) and 1080i (Old CRT HDTV I keep around as it still looks great) on the 360.

In this video the PS3 textures are way more detailed and sharper than the Xbox 360. But they probably had to be compressed more. They had to fit this entire world onto a single DVD, whereas the PS3 has it on a Blu-Ray disc with.

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim PS3 vs Xbox 360 Comparison Video - YouTube

The Xbox 360 seems to have better frame rates. Although zbethesda said they are going to release a patch that addresses the PS3 frame rate problems.

Quote Originally Posted by SoloCamo View Post
    Wait... so the game came out just 9 days ago (counting today)....

You've put 10 hours a day into skyrim over the past 9 days

I commend you if you have, but you may need to get some much nuch needed nutrients from the sun to make up for the lack of it lately
    Some days I played more. I know I put about 15 hours more then one of those days. The starting day I know I put in over 15 hours.

___
    On a side note, I almost always play the same class as you, however I spend so much time unlocking every door, stealing from people, exploring everything and anything that I can and never feel like I could rush through it like that.

I spent a good 140 hours on Oblivion, and there are still tons of quests I did not touch. I didn't even go half through the fighters guild nor did I ever touch the mages guild.
    I did the same thing in Morrowind. I did less of it in Oblivion. I play the thief/assassin call for the nice bonus damage to bow by being in stealth. I like to one shot kill things =) I've played to many games where I was just crawling through the game.. and these days I find the best way to move fast and stick with it. =)
    In life one must Chill

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    This is so funny. When I saw the post I thought somebody had bought the company. What was I thinking?

just installed oblivion. good game so far.

Blog Entries
    I finished the Skyrim main quest in about 36 hours. And that was with also completing every Whiterun quest and the Companions. It's really not that hard to blow through. I did the same thing with Oblivion.

Now, of course, I go back and do all the other fun stuff. So far I've completed the Companions twice, the thieves guild, the mage college and I'm into the Dark Brotherhood. I've done most if not all the Riften quests.

Being unemployed, I have been putting 12+ hours a day into the game since it was released and I have not even scratched the surface.

Review by a friend: The Ravings of Demented Rabbits Skyrim

Just started my new play through. Playing a orc fighter/mage. think it is going to take me 3x as long to finish the game as this class.
    In life one must Chill

And then THIS happens...

New Patch Locks Skyrim to Steam Forever and Ever

One time activation and connection to Steam MY ASS!!!

Like I was saying in regards to Duke Nukem Forever... now Skyrim has to be connected all the time. and THIS is one of the reasons I don't care for all developers tying their games to Steam.

Steam is great for Demos and buying/Downloading games, but when you buy a hard copy game in a retail store, you SHOULD NOT be required to tie it to the online service like this.

Sure eventually there may be some work arounds for this, but even that aside This should NOT be happening period.

If anything, this kind of crap will do a better more effective job at killing off PC gaming than anything.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

All We Are Asking Networker4321's Avatar
    I hate Steam yet have not removed it from this rig, now is a great time to do that. I'll be back,,,,,

I just got the Proudmore Manor for free, and all the upgrades for free using the same free house glitch IGN showed for the 5,000 gold house.

Now I am sitting here moving everything from my lesbian wife's house to my new Mansion. She said she was going to move everything for me but it's been 3 days and she, nor my stuff, have showed up at my new house.

I tried to use the horse/fast travel trick to move my stuff but my stupid horse walks straight back to the Riften Stables I bought him from as soon as I unmount him. I tried dismounting, running into my house and grabbing everything, and then going back outside to see my horse walking up the road and since I am burdened, I can not walk faster than him so I can never catch back up to mount him.

if this was the PC version I'd just hit the Tilde key, type in TGM and hit enter, God mode with no encumbrance... LMAO!!!

Assuming the same cheats still work? (same cheat/cheats also work in Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, so assume they will for skyrim)

Quote Originally Posted by Networker4321 View Post
    I hate Steam yet have not removed it from this rig, now is a great time to do that. I'll be back,,,,,
    For the most part Steam is ok, but this requiring of it for games bought in the real world is bogus IMO.

I just bought Test Drive Unlimited 2 on Steam for $5 the other day, so no troubles with it there, and am about to buy Dead Island tonight for $20 as well, but those games I don't mind having tied to steam since they can be Multiplayer, etc. But Skyrim is neither Multiplayer and store bought copies still need Steam which is bogus IMO.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information