+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SteamOS FAQ :: Steam Universe

Back a page... post #55, First few lines of that post.

Blog Entries
    Hardware is in the wild.
    The Steam Machine/Box came. - Imgur

One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Saw that, but I'm concerned about how truly upgradable the hardware is?

It is after all a proprietary casing, not sure about what the PSU specs are, and whether better PSU's would be available for it. Add in the CPU and how much space you'd have to upgrade the CPU heatsink, etc.

I know this is just ONE of the Steam boxes, but the way the article and video is worded makes one think you could easily upgrade much of the system, while still using the same casing.

GTX 780 isn't exactly a power sipping card, at least 250W just for that part.

The case isn't proprietary. A non-standard layout, yes, but all parts can be replaced with off the shelf parts. Valve has said their Steam Boxes should all be easily upgradable.

Blog Entries
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

Blog Entries

From the Ars Technica article linked by GZ3:
    Even though the SteamOS requirements list a 500GB drive as the minimum, there's plenty of space free. Our 500GB drive has been chopped up into five partitions; the largest is /home, with 2.6GB used and 406GB free and ready to be used for Steam content.
    We didn't have a smaller SSD handy to test with, but unless the installer specifically checks, a disk smaller than 500GB will host SteamOS without any problems.

Blog Entries
    Hardware tear down of the Steam Machine beta system.

Steam Machine Teardown - iFixit

I'm surprised it has a 450watt PSU and a GTX 780.

Blog Entries
    Add the components together, and it is probably like 350 to 400 watts total. A quality 450w should suffice.

For an added safety margin, AFAIK, AMD and nVidia PSU suggestions factor cheap, generic power supplies with often overrated specs.

I guess for this application, a PSU that allows for OC and expansion isn't really necessary since these machines are going to be returned after the beta period.

Blog Entries
    At least twelve manufacturers on board for Steam Machine systems. Particular notables include Alienware, Gigabyte, and Zotac.

More info: Here are Valve's 12 Steam Machines partners (so far)

Quote Originally Posted by tony_j15 View Post
    Because they make money off the platform.
    Guess what Sony just announced just now? Like right now? Via a CES Livestream.

A platform, called Playstation Now, that will give access to their full library of PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 games on any device, even non-Sony and non-Playstaton devices.

I told you that this would happen. Sony even said that they invision a future where you don't have to buy a console to access their games.

Woo hoo!

Although this is happening much faster than I thought it would, but it looks like the PS4 is going to be the last console Sony is going to make themselves.

Microsoft is most likely going to be doing the same thing as they have said that their future is also in the Cloud.

EDIT: Articles are starting to pop up. The Verge was the first, and their site seems to have crashed after posting this article, lol. Sony announces PlayStation Now, its cloud gaming service for TVs, consoles, and phones | The Verge

EDIT 2: House said all Playstation titles in the keynote, but apparantly he meant all Playstation titles except for PS4. So it looks like, for now at least, you have to buy a PS4 to play PS4 games.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; January 7th, 2014 at 02:11 PM.

Blog Entries
    It's an incredible leap of logic to assume that because Sony is monetizing their old titles that the PS4 will be their last console. That's been the the main thrust of my argument the entire time: the console just will not die. Period.

The Gaikai service could be wonderful. Time will tell whether it is worth the investment. But look at what you need to make it function. A PS3 ($200), PS Vita ($200), Bravia smart TVs ($500 and up, plus controller), smartphone ($0-800 depending on contract/outright buy), or tablet (realistically, $300 and up IMO at least).
    Big gaming still requires big hardware at big prices, plus the only thing we can confirm at this point is the service will work on Sony devices (I'm referencing only the Verge article, so this could obviously change). PC support isn't mentioned, and who knows if other TV manufacturers or Apple will allow the service on their devices. Hoepfully, they will, and that will rock.

These sorts of additional services are really cool, and it's great that so many older titles are going to be available again.

It's an incredible leap of logic to assume that because Sony is monetizing their old titles that the PS4 will be their last console. That's been the the main thrust of my argument the entire time: the console just will not die. Period.
    Sony themselves said that in the future you will be able to play their games without the need of a gaming box.

I'm not making this stuff up out of thin air. A lot of people in the industry have been saying that the current model of designing a computing device to last 7-10 years is not going to work in the future. The current alternatives are to create an affordable device that can be easily upgraded (Steam Box and PC), or getting rid of the device all together (Cloud gaming).

The Gaikai service could be wonderful. Time will tell whether it is worth the investment. But look at what you need to make it function. A PS3 ($200), PS Vita ($200), Bravia smart TVs ($500 and up, plus controller), smartphone ($0-800 depending on contract/outright buy), or tablet (realistically, $300 and up IMO at least).
    Big gaming still requires big hardware at big prices, plus the only thing we can confirm at this point is the service will work on Sony devices (I'm referencing only the Verge article, so this could obviously change).
    This is all wrong. You don't NEED an expensive tablet or smartphone. They can accomplish the same thing with a $50 Roku type box, or a $35 Chromecast device. That is the big advantage of cloud gaming, the fact that you don't need an expensive dedicated gaming box to play games.

And I already said that Sony is planning on expanding this service to non-Sony and non-Playstation devices. This is Sony themselves saying it, not just a rumor.

PC support isn't mentioned, and who knows if other TV manufacturers or Apple will allow the service on their devices. Hoepfully, they will, and that will rock.
    All of that is in the future plans according to the press release by Sony. Of course other companies don't have to implement the software, but if the platform takes off, you can bet that they will be on board.

These sorts of additional services are really cool, and it's great that so many older titles are going to be available again.
    And this is only the beginning.

In addition to PlayStation platforms, most 2014 U.S. models of Sony's BRAVIA® TV*2 lineup will support PS Now. Eventually the service will expand beyond PlayStation platforms and Sony devices, allowing users to stream PlayStation games on numerous other Internet-connected devices.

SCE's vision for PS Now is to enable users to instantly enjoy a wide range of full games on the Internet-connected consumer electronics devices they use every day. The accessibility of PS Now means, for example, that PS4 users in the living room can continue playing a game on a PS3 system in their bedroom. Or PS Vita users can enjoy instant access to a game wherever there's Wi-Fi connectivity, such as outdoors, then can switch to a supporting BRAVIA® TV's big screen and play the same game after arriving home.

PS Now will offer choice to gamers with how they want to access content. Gamers can rent by title for specific games they are interested in, or they can choose a subscription that delivers additional value with the ability to explore and play many games available across a wide variety of genres. In addition, the service will support many popular PSNSM features such as online multi-player, Trophies, and messages.

"We are thrilled to deliver entertainment experiences only possible from PlayStation through our new streaming game service," said Andrew House, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. "PS Now will allow users to engage in the world of PlayStation, whether they're existing fans or have never owned a PlayStation platform."

During the 2014 International CES held in Las Vegas from January 7, attendees can visit the Sony booth to have a hands-on experience with the PS Now service for the first time ever. Attendees can enjoy four blockbuster PS3 titles, BEYOND: Two Souls, God of War: Ascension, The Last of Us and Puppeteer from SCE Worldwide Studios, on PS Vita or BRAVIA® TV.

Prior to the official launch, SCE will begin a beta program on PS3 systems in certain regions of the United States from the end of January. Additional information about PS Now will be available at *Gaikai* Sign Up - Bringing Game Streaming to Consoles - PlayStation®.
    The example they used in the press release also makes it looks like that PS4 titles will eventually be added to the service as well.

The accessibility of PS Now means, for example, that PS4 users in the living room can continue playing a game on a PS3 system in their bedroom.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; January 7th, 2014 at 03:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    It really is great that you are on board with utilizing tech that requires a constant internet connection with absolutely zero lag and servers that occasionally will overpopulate and force you to queue. You're absolutely right, as always, this is the future, and it's the only future.

Quote Originally Posted by Bizkitkid2001 View Post
    Sony themselves said that in the future you will be able to play their games without the need of a gaming box.
    Will be able is not the same thing as have to. If we parse the marketing propaganda, all they are saying is "some games will not require the latest console." it is illogical to interpret that statement as a fact demonstrating that Sony is exiting the hardware business.

A lot of people in the industry have been saying that the current model of designing a computing device to last 7-10 years is not going to work in the future.
    And a lot of people said the PC was dead after the iPad, and said PC gaming was dead after the XBox, and said newspapers were dead after the Internet, and said TV was dead after the Internet, and said radio was dead after TV and...

The current alternatives are to create an affordable device that can be easily upgraded (Steam Box and PC), or getting rid of the device all together (Cloud gaming).
    We've been over that already. You can't "eliminate the device all together", there always has to be something there, silly. :
    But it still requires a box and you've entirely eliminated the convenience factor.
    Why would I want to purchase a box from a third party or build it myself in order to then pay money to utilize a service when the efficacy of the box will always be in question? Well, I would if I'm a PC gamer.
    But for console folk? Why create the hassle?
    I would much rather buy a PS4 for $399 then give iBuyPower $500 for a box to then subscribe to Xbox Online for $20 a month.
    This is all wrong. You don't NEED an expensive tablet or smartphone.
    Theoretically, I'm sure you are correct. You need to decide whether you are debating theory or the actual product. I'm referring to the Verge article which is explaining which devices the service will function on. Roku and Chromecast are not on the list. Only big bucks devices are listed.

And I already said that Sony is planning on expanding this service to non-Sony and non-Playstation devices. This is Sony themselves saying it, not just a rumor.
    And if that works out I will be cheering. But don't mistake a marketing hype event for facts.

I appreciate your forward thinking attitude about cloud gaming and believe that it does have the ability to become a way that millions experience games.

It really is great that you are on board with utilizing tech that requires a constant internet connection with absolutely zero lag and servers that occasionally will overpopulate and force you to queue. You're absolutely right, as always, this is the future, and it's the only future.
    If you were to actually read my previous posts, you would know that I prefer the Steambox method to the Cloud gaming. I don't like Cloud gaming in its current form, and I never said that I preferred Cloud gaming. All I have said is that Cloud gaming is a very real and very possible platform that the industry will most likely shift too if it wants to survive in the future.

Will be able is not the same thing as have to. If we parse the marketing propaganda, all they are saying is "some games will not require the latest console." it is illogical to interpret that statement as a fact demonstrating that Sony is exiting the hardware business.
    You are now making stuff up. I never claimed that Sony would stop making consoles as a fact, I only said that based on Sony's latest developments, that is what Sony's future is looking like. Not only that, but Microsoft has said the same thing Nintendo is the only console maker that has said nothing about Cloud gaming.

And a lot of people said the PC was dead after the iPad, and said PC gaming was dead after the XBox, and said newspapers were dead after the Internet, and said TV was dead after the Internet, and said radio was dead after TV and...
    That has nothing to do with what we are talking about. I am not saying console gaming is dead, I am saying that the current model of console gaming is not going to work in the future. Console gaming is actually stronger than ever, with record sales for both PS4 and X1. The problem is that game developers are already saying that the PS4 and X1 are not going to have as long of a life cycle as their predecessors, which would mean that new consoles will need to come out sooner. Since Sony and Microsoft lose money from developing and selling consoles, the gaming industry is saying that a new type of console gaming needs to emerge if Microsoft and Sony want to survive. So far, the first two ideas are Cloud gaming and the Steambox. Nintendo may come up with something completely different, and a lot of people are hoping that Nintendo will do exactly that as the current two choices are not ideal.

We've been over that already. You can't "eliminate the device all together", there always has to be something there, silly. :
    We've been over it already because you seem to be missing the point. I never said that Cloud gaming will get rid of the devices. What it will get rid of is the need to buy an expensive, non-upgradable, console. You just seem to skip over that part whenever I mention it.

Theoretically, I'm sure you are correct. You need to decide whether you are debating theory or the actual product. I'm referring to the Verge article which is explaining which devices the service will function on. Roku and Chromecast are not on the list. Only big bucks devices are listed.
    I have been providing you with more information than what is written in the Verge article. Information straight from Sony themselves. Like I said, I am not making anything up, yet your argument is solely based on what is said in that one Verge article I posted, and you are completely ignoring all of the other pieces of information I have told you.

And if that works out I will be cheering. But don't mistake a marketing hype event for facts.
    Again, you are making up stuff.

I appreciate your forward thinking attitude about cloud gaming and believe that it does have the ability to become a way that millions experience games.
    I am not necessarily forward thinking. All I am doing is telling you what the industry is doing.

I said that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft need to think of a way to get their games out to as many people as they can as it is the games that make them money, not the actual hardware sales. I then said that I would love to only need to have to buy one device, instead of 4 devices, to be able to enjoy all of the games that are being released.

You said that it isn't possible as it is the hardware that defines a platform.

I then replied saying that is not true, and gave Steam OS as an example saying that Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft could do something similar and release their own OS that plays their games and has access to their services, and allow people to choose what kind of computer to install the OS on instead of buying their proprietary consoles. I also said that they could accomplish the same thing through Cloud services, and pointed out that Sony purchased Gaikai, which is a Cloud gaming based serviced, and that I would not be surprised if Sony released a Cloud gaming based service in the future.

You then said that won't happen.

Then all of a sudden Sony announces a Cloud gaming service that will eventually allow you to play Playstation games on any internet connected device, which is something you said won't happen.

After that you started putting words in my mouth, and then admitting that you have done zero research yourself and are only relying on one article to get all of your information.
    Last edited by Bizkitkid2001; January 7th, 2014 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information