+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries

SteamOS has been announced

SteamOS

Linux based gaming platform?

I assume a game will have to have a Linux version to be playable? Dont expect much support for games that you bought outside of steam (bf3, anything out on uplay)

Blog Entries
    Yet another Linux client...

I must be short-sighted in this area, because I really don't see this going anywhere. Enlightenment?

Blog Entries
    Not just a client, but an operating system. As in Valve will be able to "control"* many aspects of the SteamOS platform and APIs, versus game devs trying to target a multitude of Linux distros, APIs, etc.

AFAIK, Valve is also working directly with certain game developers. That interaction - more like the lack thereof - has been one of the issues with gaming on Linux.

*If it is truly open source, the project can be forked, but the fork would no longer be an "official" SteamOS distro. :shrug:
    Robert Richmond | Infinite perceptions. One reality.
    TechIMO.com Community Director

This could be a very good motivator for Linux adoption. Rob's comment about a fork is the main drawback I see, though. Unless it stays close to the "official" distro. I am assuming the SteamOS will have some decent video driver support and easy installs as the main points of interest.

Blog Entries
    There are two more announcements left, next one will be 1 pm EST

The Steam Universe is Expanding in 2014

I am interested in playing around with the SteamOS just like any Linux distro I use (try it, get bored with it and delete it from vmware )

What the SteamOS announcement means for living room PC gaming | Ars Technica

What would be interesting and most welcomed is the bringing together of Keyboard+mouse versus the controller players. That right there has always been an issue, so many players dont get to play against each other due to that limitation which sucks, this might finally close the gap.

I dont see this having a place on any of my PC games especially being a huge Battlefield player and stuck with Origins, but you never know!

Blog Entries
    Hmmm....

AMD unveils revolutionary 'Mantle' API to optimize GPU performance - TechSpot

The API is supposedly open, with it already targeting Windows, Xbox One, and PS4. Translation? AMD x86+GPU hardware.

It would seem Valve might be well served to support the API as well, thus potentially easing porting of console titles to SteamOS.

In particular, Orbis OS on PS4 is reportedly at least partially based upon FreeBSD. Admittedly, porting is rarely trivial, but porting apps between BSD and Linux is generally "easier" due to POSIX similarities - FreeBSD and Linux are not technically "fully" POSIX compliant. Tossing in a shared graphics API should further boost such porting efforts.

Blog Entries
    SteamOS hardware....

Steam Machines

nVidia cooperating with Valve....

Steam Rolling Into Your Living Room

Blog Entries
    Well that was a lot of hype for nothing, hopefully Fridays announcement is a little bit more interesting.

Blog Entries
    Presenting the Steam Controller. :shrug:

Blog Entries
    Well, now at least we know what they were doing with those human/haptic/feedback engineering positions they hired for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RobRich View Post
    It would seem Valve might be well served to support the API as well, thus potentially easing porting of console titles to SteamOS.
    Carmack's comments on the Mantle API and SteamOS....

Carmack: Microsoft, Sony May Be Hostile to AMD's Mantle

Blog Entries
    I'm not seeing why they would be hostile. Steambox is essentially vaporware still at this point, and I doubt even if it is widely successful that it will eat much marketshare from the Big 3.

If Carmack is right, Sony and Microsoft may do whatever it takes to separate their versions from the PC counterpart.
    What is that even supposed to mean? The versions already are separated. Last I checked, an XBox disc doesn't work in a PS3 or PC. That's about as separate as you can get!

Blog Entries

according to Valve with the releases/announcements of SteamOS and the controller, there are indeed Steam Boxes to debut, the main Valve Steam Box sometime later in the year, early next year, and then versions from other manufacturers later on as well, in differing hardware spec configurations.

I'm guessing Valves Steam Box will be kind of the defacto standard one to test the OS and games on to ensure they work, or something like that, and then everyone else can design, build, sell their own Steam Boxes with the OS on it as they see fit.

I'm guessing sort of a similar model as Google and their Nexus Devices with Android, where as thats supposedly the development/test platform and other companies can modify it as they see fit. (not a great analogy, but close).

Right now you can sign up and see if you can get onboard with Valves Steam Boxes, as they intend to allow testing on them, to a limited number of Steam Users, but seeing what you have to do to even qualify is a bit lame, you have to have AT LEAST 10 other Steam Friends, you have to have a few other criteria, and so on.

Thing I find dumb about this Steam OS and Steam Box is the fact that not ALL games will be able to run on the OS since its Linux, and many will just down right not support it.

So this Steam Box still allows you to Stream your non compatible games from your PC through the box and on to the screen.

So basically this product being marketed to compete with consoles, is nothing more than an ACCESSORY for existing PC users, in situations like that.

So it has me wondering... If thats the case, why even buying the Steam Box, when I can spend just as much money on some sort of Wireless A/V accessory and "Stream" my gaming PC to a HDTV in another room?

Cut out the middle guy and be done with it?

It also means, for those users out there that buy the Steam Box devices, if there are games they want to play, that aren't compatible, now they have to go out and buy a suitable gaming PC to process the game, then stream it to the Steam Box to be able to play the game...

Well, shit... if thats the case, just build a small HTPC size Windows 8 PC (Decent AMD APU setup), place it near the TV, and install steam, get a couple wireless peripherals (Mouse/Trackball, Keyboard and controllers), and Boom, your done.

The Steam OS I see could have some potential for new games, with more and more supporting Linux Usage, but for much of the older games sold on Steam, I don't see it being beneficial right now.

And even on Nvidia's Shield Device, currently there is only a very limited selection of Stream-able Games that you can stream from your PC to the device.

I'm sure Steam will have a significant amount more than Nvidia allows for their device, but I'm thinking Valve could benefit in someway of integrating or allowing Steam or Steam OS be installed on the Nvidia Shield and put those two products together.

They both utilize Streaming from a gaming PC to play various PC games on the platforms, but one is an Android based system, the other Linux Based, and would probably require some extensive time developing an OS that would run on the device.

I just don't see the Steam Box as being a very competitive device to face off against the main 3 Console platforms.

Myself, I'd love to find out exactly how much space SteamOS will take up.

Not to mention, will steam allow you to install games to any/all hard drives on your PC with out having to perform a little trickery like you currently do for steam on Windows.

Would be nice to have say, a small fast SSD for the OS, and a large or couple large HDD's for the Games.

whether or not SteamOS/Steam will allow a bit more flexibility in setting up Steam/Games, etc.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries
    Steam Controller demonstration....

If those control pads are more sensitive and accurate than your standard laptop track pads, then it might be a much better alternative to traditional controllers.

Though I would be more interested in a Dual Laser Trackball setup than track pads. (ever try to play a FPS with a Phone/Tablets Capacitive touch screen? Yeah, not exactly all that great, especially if your fingers stick to the screen after a while).

Anyways, it might be better for some games, but I don't see it replacing Mouse/Trackball and Keyboard for most traditional PC games, any time soon, even for Valves OS and Steam Box.

As one commenter made on a article on Facebook with the same video, it'll come down to Game Developers whether they program solely for this thing, or similar controllers and leave out, or program in Mouse/Keyboard controls.

but for PC games like RTS games, and Simulations, and others like them with a TON of button controls, I don't see these things replacing Keyboard/Mouse control schemes.

Maybe for the more Main Stream Console Ports, or Console Like Games on PC.

I still remember when I had this: Amazon.com: Triax Turbo Touch 360 Super Nintendo SNES Controller: Video Games

For my SNES back in my teenage years, figured the touchpad control pad would be vastly better for Fighting games like Street Fighter Series, Final Fight, World Heroes, Art Of Fighting (and most other SNK Fighters on SNES) as well as King of Fighters, and so on. due to not having a suitable fighting stick joystick controller, and hard to pull off various moves with a 4 directional (8 directional) control pad, not to mention sore as hell thumb from using it.

Unfortunately, it never worked right, yes, pulling off various moves was easier, but the touch sensitivity was hit or miss most of the time, like when a Laptops Track pad starts going bad, and ended up in more frustration than celebration with said games.

So gave up on most Fighters, and stuck to racing and platformer's with my ASCIIpad controllers with Turbo and Autofire switches for A, B, X, Y & L/R Buttons.

Amazon.com: Super Nintendo Turbo Controller (AsciiPad): Video Games

Where I could just switch on Turbo or Auto, and play as a character like E Honda in SF2 using light/medium punches and steam roll opponents into a corner and trap them. Rarely able to break out.

Other games the Turbo was so fast, the game couldn't keep up, and resulted in actual slower, if not slow motion firing or actions.

(Slow Motion mode switch was just the Start/Pause button in Auto mode, not really slo mo mode)

Blog Entries

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information