+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    There is a 8 pin eatx12v plug that I think I had the wrong cable plugged into. I was talking about a 12 pin atx cable when I said 8 pin the first time. I cannot find a cable for it. By the looks of it, it needs to have the same pins both motherboard side and psu side which doesn't exist with the cables I have. I cable that I had plugged in said CPU on it and fitted perfectly on the 8 pin side but not the 4+4 pin side

Sorry for the bad explanation I think you'll figure out what I'm trying to say haha

This your motherboard? ASUS P9X79 LE LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS - Newegg.com

If so, I forgot X79, there's almost no chipset, except for the South Bridge, that houses everything like SATA, Network, USB, etc, controllers. (Memory Controller and PCI Express Controller, typically on a North bridge chipset, is on the CPU with socket 2011).

On X58 like I have, you can see what I'm Talking about... (not ALL of the north bridge functions are on the CPU for socket 1366, so still needs a chipset for it).

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX X58 SLI LE Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

You can see the dumb heatsink design they used, its one solid piece of aluminum in a stylish design, and its epoxied to the chipset not mounted down like most.

And the north bridge on X58 was known to be a hot running chipset, talking 40-60C at times, nearly as hot as a "cool" running CPU.

could of went with a better chipset cooler IMO, but it is what is, the board was priced at around $100-125 refurbished, and had the features I needed, so oh well, next time, if I do go with a Socket 2011 build, and X99, just need to keep my eyes open for any similar issues, though X99 is like X79, with only south bridge stuff on the board, everything else is on the CPU.

Same with Socket 1155, 1150 and soon to be released 1151 next year.

PSU... confusing, seems this one uses same connectors on PSU end, for 6+2 PCIe and 4+4/8 Pin 12V for CPU.

Corsair AX760 PSU review - Product Showcase

So you can use one of the PSU's 6+2 pin connectors, and connect to CPU's extra 12V connector, just have to make sure to use the cable needed for it.

It looks like it has one that has a 10 pin connection on PSU, Looking at a video on Youtube as to how to connect to the PSU properly...

But also as to why more pins on the PSU side vs the Mobo Side, I was thinking some new standard that hadn't been announced yet...

But Explains a bit as to why.

AX760 ATX 24PIN Power COnnecter Question - Why 2 Cables to 1 Pin? - The Corsair User Forums

and YT video for connecting the 24 pin 12V. https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=z071p3l8XNw

So looking like the extra 10 pin connector is tied into the 24 pin to motherboard.

Just really odd design for this PSU, confusing too much. Note to self to avoid this one if I do buy a new Modular in the future, LOL.

Then it looks like you just connect a spare 8 pin or 6+2 pin PCIe to the 8 pin connector on the Mobo, the end that says CPU should be the end to the motherboard.

I'd probably connect it to that lone 8 pin in the upper corner, and leave all 5 remaining PCIe 8 pin connections for video card.

If your wondering what a 5th 8 pin is for, its for Dual 8 Pin Server motherboards, usually Dual CPU boards.

Don't know if any of this will help, but worth a try, just in case something is wired wrong.

I have a 4+4 cable with the CPU side on the motherboard

I've tryed swapping the ram ports around I've tryed no ram, no graphics card, I've tryed disconnecting everything but the atx and still have the same result

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information