+ Reply to Thread
    Misanthropic
    Blog Entries

Lionhead Studios speaks out about DLCs in Fable Legends

Recently got the chance to speak with the fine folks over at Lionhead Studios. They are helping develop Fable Legends, a free-to-play game which will feature downloadable content (DLCs).

Anytime I've written about Fable Legends in the past few months, it seems talk always turned to downloadable content (DLC) in free-to-play games. Lionhead Studios is going in a bit of a new direction with Fable Legends, and wanted to try to clear the air a bit regarding the controversial inclusion of DLCs in its upcoming free-to-play action role-playing game. We recently spoke with David Eckelberry, game director at Lionhead Studios, so here is what he had to say.

The addition of DLCs brings a high level uncertainty among many gamers, and some of you have already questioned it regarding Fable Legends.

"That's a reasonable thing to be unsure of. I'm unsure about free-to-play in some games!" David Eckelberry told TweakTown. "I believe it's up to the game developer. Some games I love are free-to-play, and I don't think it's a coincidence that first and foremost they are good games, regardless of how they get to market. It's also not a coincidence that these games seem legitimately fair: they don't let a player buy his way to victories, and the things you can purchase seem pretty fairly priced."

Full story available here.

Cheers!

I really hope that one day someone can truly make a AAA free-to-play game that is enjoyable and does not use underhanded tactics to rip people off.

However, even AAA games that you pay up front with micro-transactions are still a mess most of the time. Take AC Unity for example. You can purchase $100 worth of in game credits yet there is not even $100 worth of stuff to buy in the game with those credits. I read an article where a reviewer purchased the $100 package and still had $56 worth of in game credits left over after buying everything in the game. It is things like this that is ruining franchises and should be criminal. There needs to be ways to prevent developers from selling a product for the single purpose of ripping someone off.
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

Thread Information