+ Reply to Thread

What does IBM-compatible mean

? I know it means like er..a ..PC... but whats with the IBM-compatible thing ?

Ultimate Member
    thats an oldddd term......because IBM were forerunners in PC's thats just how PC's started to be known....because there were no standards back then...that is how the "standards" started to be formed.

I take "IBM compatible" nowadays to mean "not a MAC" lol...but back then of course the "apple" was the big thing

http://daringfireball.net/2003/09/ibm_compatible

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/I/IBM_PC.html

Also of course you might have heard the word "clones"...that always meant "IBM Compatible"
    Last edited by John Prophet; August 22nd, 2004 at 12:39 PM.
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

John is right. In the early days of PCs, there were several formats, but Apple got most of the limelight in the early 80s with their Apple II line. IBM got into the market, but they had a more open hardware structure than Apple, so clones started popping up, based on the IBM architecture. I was in the computer retail business then, and customers were always concerned with IBM compatability. We sold Epson computers which were IBM compatable and were cheaper than IBMs, which we also sold. Both of them ran under DOS, which was licensed to both IBM and Epson by Microsoft. We also started carrying Compaq, which was also IBM compatable. Around this time, we dropped our line of computers using the CPM operating systems.

A few years later, IBM attempted to distance themselves from the different manufacturers making IBM compatable systems. IBM called it their "Multi-Channel Architecture". They also started developing their own software which only ran on their machines. This was the same time that Apple was pushing their Mac systems. Very interesting times. A couple of years later, Microsoft released their first version of Windows and the entire industry changed. Instead of saying IBM compatable, people started saying Windows based systems.

Robert

Ultimate Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_roberts49
    IBM called it their "Multi-Channel Architecture".
    Ummm, try Micro Channel Architecture.

The slots were near the size of todays PCI, and MUCH smaller, closer spaced than any other type of system at the time, thus the name Micro Channel Architecture.

(at least.. that was what I have been led to believe.)

Kinda makes me feel old knowing there are people out there that aren't old enough to know what IBM compatible means
    ----------------------
    WindowsXP Home
    Asus A7N8X-X
    XP+2800
    768 Mb RAM
    120 Gb Maxtor HDD
    52/24/52 Samsund CD-RW
    Pioneer 106 DVD-RW

Blog Entries
    "IBM compatible" is essentially any system capable of natively executing the x86 processor instruction set.

Twenty years ago, there were many competiting computer operating systems. Every OS had its own particular hardware because computer manufacturers each wrote their own OS. That is, except for IBM, which entered the market late. They used an operating system purchased from Microsoft.

IBM, then the largest computer company in the world, was the first company to run MS DOS. No one really understood what was under the hood of a computer or what Microsoft was. But everyone wanted a computer that could emulate IBM, hence IBM compatible. It wasn't too long before people figured out almost anything was BETTA' than IBM!
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

Bovan, it's been over 20 years. The old memory chips miss-fired MCA also introduced the IBM PS/2 line of computers. The flagship (if I remember correctly) was the PS/2 50 which featured a 386 processor.

Robert

Ultimate Member
    Hey Dr Roberts49..well, yes. I sure relate to that...and have done precisely the same things, several times.

My first real computer was an IBM MCA 286-10 mhz I think, 3 mb RAM, and a 150 mb HDD.

I had DOS 6.0 on it and some ham radio applications. I used it to control my VHF radios to send and receive packet data. Packet was the name of the operation, derived I guess from the technology of transmitting and receiving 'packets' of info, much the same as we do today.

Then about 1994 or so, I got my greedy little hands on a 386-25 mhz with Win3.11...and I thought I had hit the jackpot...that wild machine had about 10 or 12 mbs of RAM...man!!.. I had a fireball then! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bovon
    ...My first real computer was an IBM MCA 286-10 mhz I think, 3 mb RAM, and a 150 mb HDD....
    Bovon,
    I'm guessing your PC was circa '87 or '88... that 150mb drive would have been absolutley HUGE for that time. It must have cost you a fortune! My '89 Epson Equity-II 386SX/16 came with a 40mb drive and that was considered on the large/normal side... and that box cost about $2K.
    "The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; It's just that they know so much that isn't so." -- Ronald Reagan

hahaha computers have really improved... my drive is about 78,000mb not the best though

Leader of the Crab People Redwolf's Avatar
    Dude, once upon a time floppy drives were the cat's ***. Sweet, now I don't have to rewind the tape every time!

Ultimate Member
    yeah..the first comps didnt have hard drives..they had the awesome dual floppies back then though, lol
    "Even a fool is thought to be wise if he is silent"

I remember wondering if I should buy a computer with a casette tape drive or 5-1/4" floppy!
    RayH42450@gmail.com
    Please indicate you are from TechIMO in subject line so you don't get deleted as spam :)

I'm glad i didn't have to deal with computers back then.

I love my 420gb goodness
    One by one the penguins steal my sanity.

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information