+ Reply to Thread
    Ultimate Member

What makes a Speaker pop?

What makes it make a poping noise? Anyone know?

depends.. if it is a midrange speaker.. or a high.. without caps on it. it could be tha the speaker tried to play a base note that it coudln't handle.. and if it is like a crackling pop.. it could be a power spike,, the speaks face can pick up energy.. I've had speakers pop when cutting on the TV..a dn the speakers were facing the tv set.

that's just a few.. could be to much power going to them as well.. bad cables going to the speakers.. so forth.
    In life one must Chill

Like Daft said, a pile of things could do it. Is there a particular set of circumstances when it does it?

Another one is if it's a small subwoofer, like in a couputer speaker set, a big signal hit can cause the voice coil to jump out of its gap in the magnet. Often, it won't seat right when it goes back in and thereafter any big bass hit will cause a pop until the driver finally croaks from the voice coil rubbing on the magnetic structure.
    There's only two things in life. But I forget what they are.

From years of working in the mobile electronics industry (installer, troubleshooter, system designer), I've found that the biggest cause of speaker failure is using too small of an amplifier to driver speakers, and pushing the amp to clipping. Clipping is when you exceed the amplifier's specified limits, and the amp "clips" the tops and bottoms off the audio syn wave, sending pulses of DC into the speaker. This overheats the voice coil, and toasts the speaker.
    What did a tornado sound like before freight trains were invented?

if your speakers are unshielded, they'll snap crackle and pop when someone is on a cell phone or something of that nature around them. this is what happens to me at work all the time wth my lousy speakers...

yo

Quote Originally Posted by Kuasimodem View Post
    From years of working in the mobile electronics industry (installer, troubleshooter, system designer), I've found that the biggest cause of speaker failure is using too small of an amplifier to driver speakers, and pushing the amp to clipping. Clipping is when you exceed the amplifier's specified limits, and the amp "clips" the tops and bottoms off the audio syn wave, sending pulses of DC into the speaker. This overheats the voice coil, and toasts the speaker.
    is there anyway of preventing the amp from pulsing like such, because that sounds about like what happened to me earlier my 6x9 pulses when i hook it up to a certain channel on my amp but my speaker works with a different channel is there anyway to repair this myself?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information