+ Reply to Thread

Digital Vs. Analog (VHS-C) Video Camera

I currently have a Panasonic VHS-C (5+ years) old video camera and over the past month have gotten nothing but complaints about the video quality grainy on distance shots and not very sharp on tight shots. I guess now is the time to replace question is with what?

To those of you who have ventured in both realms, how much better is digital over analog video cameras? Yeah I know that if I go digital I will be able to transfer my videos directly to my computer without having to go through a capture card, that is a big plus to me but is the picture really better?

Do digital video cameras go by Mega Pixel ratings like digital cameras where bigger is better?

Any suggestions and help is appreciated and thank you in advance.

AL D.

Blog Entries
    From what I have seen, the analog cams usually give better pictures. My uncle has a 10 to 20 yr old vhs recorder, and the picture is much better than the new sony handycam he bought last year!
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

I mess with video out of cop cars all day, and although the digital ones are nice, the analog (VHS)units still have a better overall picture.
    Pixelization is the main problem with the digital units, due to the compression they must use to keep the file size from being enormous.

Pinnicle systems has a little dongle thing out now for about 50 to 80 bucks where you can plug it into a USB port and plug the camera into the other end and dump it right to your hard drive without using a capture card, and can then burn to CD/DVD.

Linky:

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/WebVideo/...sp?Langue_ID=7

Hmmm that's odd. My experience has been the opposite. When I went from a Sony 8mm (not Hi-8, just normal 8) to a Sony Digital8 camcorder, I noticed the picture quality was dramatically better. Both of them are/were mid-level consumer grade camcorders at the time.

Are you comparing a high end VHS camcorder form yesteryear to today's micro-sized camcorders? Those tiny little camcorders probably sacrifice a lot in order to get that small. I suggest you look into professional hi-quality digital camcorders if you're concerned about quality.

Blog Entries
    "The problem with quotations on the internet is that the sources are hard to verify" - Abraham Lincoln

Thanks for the input - It looks like I will be looking for a Panasonic PV-GS150 or higher model. After everything I have read a 3 CCD camera is the way to go. Anybody got any other suggestions please post in.

Al D.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information