+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Screen has suddenly developed a strange blue tint

Hi there,

Yesterday I turned on my computer and everything seemed to be working relatively fine until the display suddenly developed this strange blue tint. It stayed for about a minute or so and then went back to the normal display. Then a few hours later it did the same thing only it stayed for about 15 minutes. So far today it has done it a few times but only in flashes of blue. I am not getting any error messages and I can still navigate my computer without any problems.

I've never heard of this before and I can't seem to find any information about it on the internet. Does anyone know what this could be? I was thinking perhaps monitor or video card. My monitor is a SONY Multiscan15sf and my video card is an ATI WDM Rage Theater Video. I am running Windows XP. Please help!
    Last edited by irishprincess; June 19th, 2005 at 02:59 PM.

Sounds like your monitor may need to be Degaussed. There should be a setting to do that in the on monitor controls.

Hmm I can't find that. My monitor is very, very old.

Yea, it just may be a case of the monitor or video card going bad. Do you have access to another monitor you can try?

Ultimate Member
    only start 1 thread for the a problem
    anyway sound like your monitor is going,degaussing probably won't help

Sorry, I'm just really desperate and I wasn't sure which to post in.

Ultimate Member
    no problem just telling ya, we are all desperate at times

my monitor did that and i just got another one because it just did it randomly and got worse every time i booted it up

MAGNUM2
    Intel Pentium IIIE 806Mhz Overclocked 24%,
    776MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200,
    ASUS P3V4X Motherboard. (Built Myself)

Could be that the cable that goes into the computer is going bad. Try wiggling the end that attaches into the monitor while it's on and see if that helps.

Sigh. Well I tried fiddling with the cables as well as popping my video card out, dusting it off and putting it back in again. None of these worked.

I also noticed that when I booted up my computer the monitor didn't click in until after the Windows startup screen was shown. I remember this happening about a week ago as well, and found it kind of strange, but it hasn't happened every time I've booted up my computer.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated.

try cleaning the dust and crap out of it

the monitor i mean

If you are going to clean it, don't even think about opening it up. Too dangerous to do so.

If you have another monitor, try it on that computer. Or try the monitor you are having trouble with on another computer.

Hi there,

Yeah I'm definetly not going to go fiddling about with my monitor. I'd probably do more damage than good.

My roomate has a computer so I'm going to try his monitor on mine and see what comes about. I'll post my results.

Thanks again.

Hi I've got the same problem on my l/top but it's permenant. Looks as if mine will be a new TFT. I've swapped bits and ran to an external monitor which was fine. I suspect like the others have said your looking at a new Mon. My thread "strange colur Hue on screen" What ever you do don't open the monitor it won't only be the monitor that will end up dead.

You know my lcd has been doing the same thing more and more over the past 2 weeks or so. I switched the plug from the pc to a laptop nearby. With that it stopped doing it. Then I switched back, and the problem still exists. I think it is probably the video card. My only question is, Since it's an all-in-one can I buy an aftermarket one and route my video through it?

A CRT has three color outputs, blue, green, and red, just like an LCD. I'm guessing your red and possibly your green are going bad. You probably just need to get a new monitor, honestly.

Hi guys,
    I have the exact same problem. Just happened suddenly out of the blue. I have an emachine H6420 with an nvidia GEforce 6100 video card.

I plugged in my monitor to a different computer and the screen was fine, so I'm assuming it's some hardware in my computer; probably the video card.

I think my video card is built into the motherboard, so if I wanted to replace it would I have to buy a new card and plug it into the motherboard?

The annoying part about this whole thing is that I bought this computer only 2 years ago - this is the last time I buy an emachine.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm new to this forum, I was searching the web for a problem I've been having and found this. My set up is a bit weird, I have a latop with a cracked lcd screen. So, I set up an extrernal monitor. The external monitor is the one that's gone blue. It was doing this only when the cable was touched, and last night it's started doing this ongoing. I'm not too sure it's the cable, any ideas?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by smorshed View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have the exact same problem. Just happened suddenly out of the blue. I have an emachine H6420 with an nvidia GEforce 6100 video card.

I plugged in my monitor to a different computer and the screen was fine, so I'm assuming it's some hardware in my computer; probably the video card.

I think my video card is built into the motherboard, so if I wanted to replace it would I have to buy a new card and plug it into the motherboard?

The annoying part about this whole thing is that I bought this computer only 2 years ago - this is the last time I buy an emachine.

Any help would be appreciated.

As it looks like there are a lot of people on the web with this problem, and this page comes up in Google when you search for the problem, this is the solution I came up with my problem:

I took in my computer to a local repair store and they told me they thought the video card was starting to go. As it was an integrated video card, one solution was to replace the entire motherboard - which they said wasn't worth it as it would be as expensive as buying a new computer.
    The other solution was to use a new video card that would plug into the computer - my motherboard had a PCI slot for this. They tried it and it worked. I bought a used video card from the store for just 30 bucks. The service cost about 30 bucks as well - so the total solution to this problem was only about $70.

I think you could also do this for free by yourself if you know anything at all about plugging in new video cards.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information