Thread: Discovering computers
October 28th, 2005, 02:45 PM #1
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
Hello everyone, I am taking, Discovering computer class and I was doing my exercise, I came across this exercise and I do not have any idea how to solve it. If anyone know anything about, please post your help here.
Suppose we have a 500 MHz CPU with a memory system that requires 70 ns to do an access (including bus overhead) and a single, on-chip cache. The time to execute an instruction is 5 ns.
a. What is the speed of the CPU if the cache has a hit rate of 95%.
b. What is the speed of the CPU with a 95% hit rate primary cache and a 25 ns secondary cache that hits 90% of the primary cache misses.
c. How will the CPU speed be affected if a 40 ns third cache is added that hits 75% secondary cache misses.
October 28th, 2005, 03:17 PM #2
Is that an introductory level class???
It's worded pretty badly in my opinion.
My complex math skills are pretty much shot but treat this as a math question. Figure out the equation necessary for each and then plug in the values. Then's it's simple math after that.
October 28th, 2005, 04:47 PM #3
I agree, it's badly worded. A 500MHz CPU will run at 500MHz regardless of how slow the memory is, but I don't think that's the answer the instructor is looking for.
A better question would be to ask how long, on average, would it take to execute an instruction. In scenario A, 95% of the time it takes 5ns, and the other 5% of the time you have to add 70ns due to memory access. So, the average time is 5ns * 95% + (70+5)ns * 5% = 8.5ns. Invert that and you get 118 MIPS (million instructions per second). You can extend this logic to solve B and C (Hey, you don't expect me to do all your work do you !)
October 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM #4
- Join Date
- Oct 2005
Thanks DanU for your help.
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)
By Ramen in forum General Tech DiscussionReplies: 29Last Post: December 22nd, 2004, 01:46 PM
By jmebonner in forum Traders Forum: Buy, Sell, TradeReplies: 14Last Post: December 14th, 2003, 06:42 PM
By gkimbrell in forum Traders Forum: Buy, Sell, TradeReplies: 1Last Post: November 12th, 2003, 07:01 PM
By Dilbert135 in forum Technical SupportReplies: 10Last Post: September 21st, 2003, 02:00 PM
By ClubMed in forum IMO CommunityReplies: 27Last Post: March 20th, 2002, 09:54 PM