+ Reply to Thread

Windows Non Responsive - Freezes etc.

Ok... Heeeeelp!

Here is what happens.

After loading windows, windows works ok for about 2 minutes, then as I start launching software apps windows in general seems to start performing really really slow. Slow screen refreshes, non responsive applications, yet when I can get to it task manager shows 5 to 30% CPU Utilisation - never goes close to 90 or 100%!??!

Last week the CPU Cooler (Stock for Intel P4 3.06 / 478 Socket) failed. The CPU temp went to something like 68 deg c. Replaced the cooler with a new copper based ThermalTake - now the temp is about 50 to 55 deg c.

Just seems that ever since the overheat, the computer has been working really poorly. I don't think I installed any other software... Except for PCTools Antivirus - but even stoping its services does not fix the nonresponsiveness of the pc.

Mem: 512MB DDR
    HDD: 59% Full

-

Could it be that throttling didnt stop the processor from damaging itself?!

-

or... maybe - could it be faulty memory?!

memtest 86+ it?

If it was throttling itself down you wouldn't see anywhere near that kind of problem.

The CPU *may* have been damaged but then again I've run an XP to 80c and it worked fine after that....different arcitecture though.

I'm going to guess your motherboard may have been damaged if indeed it is not a software problem.

Try booting into safe mode and playing around for awhile without anything loaded and see if it goes away. If it still doesn't, reformat Windows. If that still doesn't fix it, look into your hardware.

Have you scanned for viruses, adware and spyware? Many of todays slow machines are full of adware/spyware. Download and install Adaware and Spybot, update prior to running them. Both are free downloads.
    Also check how many programs start automatically when Windows starts, the less the better.
    “Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
    Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticFox
    If it was throttling itself down you wouldn't see anywhere near that kind of problem.

The CPU *may* have been damaged but then again I've run an XP to 80c and it worked fine after that....different arcitecture though.

I'm going to guess your motherboard may have been damaged if indeed it is not a software problem.

Try booting into safe mode and playing around for awhile without anything loaded and see if it goes away. If it still doesn't, reformat Windows. If that still doesn't fix it, look into your hardware.
    Excellent thankyou for your suggestions.

I will follow your suggestions and post back tomorrow.

Cheeeeers!

Quote Originally Posted by elroy
    Have you scanned for viruses, adware and spyware? Many of todays slow machines are full of adware/spyware. Download and install Adaware and Spybot, update prior to running them. Both are free downloads.
    Also check how many programs start automatically when Windows starts, the less the better.
    Yes, I have scanned for spyware and viruses with various utilities. None found.

I think its hardware. I really do.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information