+ Reply to Thread

What happens if CPU fan fails?

My Asus board came with some utilities to monitor fan speeds and temps. Should I run these in the background or are there other safeguards in place, or should I not worry about it?

I had a chipset fan go just a few weeks after I got the board. Asus replaced it, no prob, but since then the "what if" thought has been on my mind. I might get a chipset heat sink for the "fun" of it, but then there is still the CPU cooler.
    Suggestions?

There is usually an overheat protection in the BIOS, so set things up there and you should get warnings and automatic shutdowns in extreme situations.

k, thought of looking there, will do...

Well, to "What if the CPU fan goes out?" I must say, replace it.

And you know what's an even easier way to deal with that? Squeeze 150 or so bucks together and get you a BigWaterSE Liquid Cooling system LOL No more fan, just a pump that's easily replaced when it dies every three or four years.

k, ya, have heard stories of processors getting fried! BTW, board is Asus A8N-E. There are boards out there that shut down the psu in seconds do to a fan failure - prob not so witha pump since you are running the pump off a 12v line and not the CPU's fan header. Correct? So, pump goes while gaming and you can make tea mon! ahahh

The pump runs as long as the system is running, correct. I've had my computer on almost non-stop for the past 2+ months and the pump I think has actually gotten better at doing it's job, like it is becoming seasoned or something LOL
    Also another great way to avoid CPU fan death being a problem is of course, buying one of those big honkin' CPU coolers where you don't really need a fan, they just put one on there for kicks cuz it cools so well without one. I personally, if you have the money to dish out, recommend the Thermaltake Big Typhoon 120MM cooler with all those heatpipes. I have one that I can't use cuz it's not compatible with my board ::cries:: but since I got liquid cooling, it's all gravy.

I tell you what though, the 150 bucks or whatever for a BigWaterSE is well worth it. Even if you're not an overclocker, it keeps your system MUCH cooler by coolin' that CPU fairly well. Like my Load temps at default speeds on my FX-55 went from 45-50C to 39-41C, and that's with the fans I have on the radiator blowing so low they don't even make any noise at all. And yes I said fans, I replaced the fan that comes with the radiator with two Thermaltake 120MM A2015 (I think) Blue LED fans that can blow up to and exceeding 2800RPMs for when I'm OCed and gaming LOL

It's not a small investment, but that will DEFINITELY save your system from the hassle of dealing with a CPU fan. And in the long run, I think 150 or so bucks is not that much for the advantages and comforts and less-noisyness of liquid cooling.

Cool. I tried OC'ing a little on this machine, but it's a "fast" office box and I use it for video editing where it runs about as fast as the software will let it. CPU *never* goes over 35C, never use more than about 850 meg RAM, hdd's stay cool as well BUT that's running 5 fans total.

So as far as I can see, there is no protection here, in other words, fan fails, and something fries. I can see no documentation from ASUS nor Phoenix bio where there is any worthwhile protection. Yeah, alarms go off, but this is on 24/7 too, and I'm not gonna here some beeps at 2AM, so wake up, nice box is toastilla!

Yes, coolers - I was looking at the $5 Zalman chip cooler - a nice looking heatsink actually, since I have had the chip fan fail already. When the chip fan started to to, it gradually slowed down, and the temps proportionally rose. It was interesting.

I'm fortunate, I got one of the Asus A8N-SLI boards during their "Doomed" period when all their chipset fans were fail, yet mine never has. I'm very pleased as this board is now nearly a year old.

Still lack knowledge. How hot with the processor get with just the heatsink if the fan went? I suppose I could find out for myself, with one hand on the power supply switch!

I dunno... passive cooling with a stock heatsink, even with the nice heatsinks FX series come with, is kinda nuts.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information