+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help me with upgrades

Hi,

I got a problem, i am a 100% gamer and have been for about 20 years now, heh aye 20 years!, anyhow i play a game named Battlefield 2, mainly
    but also some other games, and today its alot of grafix compared to before
    and here is what i got

Pentium 4, 3 gig processor

60 gig hard drive, almost filled up, partitioned into 10 gig c drive with windows and work files and D with 50 gig for games and play around stuff
    its pretty much silled to max, mayby 1 gig is avail on it

DSL connection, have no issues with it

Geforce 6600 GT OC or the 6800 GT OC cant remember off hand eather one

1 gig of Ram memory DDR i beleve

sound blaster cant remember witch but it was some 100 dollar one, pretty good i suppose,

thats what i got,

when i call the tech support they say i got everything i need to be able to play any good games, but i can only play battlefield 2 on lowest settings and it still "lags" or whatever, it staggers time to time, and some maps i cant even fly airplanes on, others with less of a system can play better and load maps alot faster than that

what do i need to look into? what do i need, what shuld i exhange?

another issue, is that my computer overheat and auto shuts down when i play anything with some grafix thats more than pac man, so i opened the case and i got an industrial fan blowing straight into it, if its hot warm in the room the computer still overheat and shuts down, but if its cool everything works

not sure what i can do about it, i think its my grafix card thats ocerclocked when i bought it from the store that does it, but im not an expert
    , what can i do about that issue?

here is what i heard about the 1st issue,

AMD is better than pentium for games, if so what shuld i buy?

i might need more ram memory, but it sounds stupid sense i do have 1 gig of ram,

a new hard drive sense this one is too much info on it and it might slow down the computer i heard

PLEASE give me sugestions......

First suggestion is to Download Everest and use it to get your exact specs...
    Don't list a bunch of the extraneous nonsense either... just the highlights...

The only thing it wont tell you is the Power Supply info...
    For that you will need to take off the side and look at the sticker...
    tell us brand, model number, and what it lists as the +12V rated Amperage
    Once we have ALL the info we can better suggest what will work better for you...
    Do you have a digital camera with which you can take a few pictures of your setup?
    Last edited by JPMiller; April 1st, 2006 at 07:33 PM.

Blog Entries
    Well, you should definitely pick up a second hard drive. If you're running games, it's good to have a drive for just games. At least in my opinion. You could get a second drive and put the Windows swap drive in a hidden partition on it. That should speed up the page file a little bit.

Considering your hardware, I'm leaning more towards the software you have installed pulling your gaming down. I bet after a clean install, you'd have no problems.

Out of curiousity, have you checked to make sure the fan on the video card is spinning? Does your case have any exhuast fans? It's nice to have one or two on the back, over the CPU/PCI area.

1GB of system RAM should be enough for most any games, barring monsters like Oblivion. Though I only have 1GB and Oblivion plays fine for me. You could pick up a faster CPU, but my first recommendations would be for a better video card, and another hard drive. You don't need anything extreme for BF2, and if you have a 6800GT, you really shouldn't be having any problems with it.

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    another issue, is that my computer overheat and auto shuts down when i play anything with some grafix thats more than pac man, so i opened the case and i got an industrial fan blowing straight into it, if its hot warm in the room the computer still overheat and shuts down, but if its cool everything works
    start by solving this problem first!! you might need a better hs/fan and maybe a vid card cooler!
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

thank you guys!

Thank you alot for the information, i will check Everest as i get home from work, im sorry if i peed in peoples cornflaked by posting from work without knowing the exact information, sorry guys
    but as i get home i will give more detailed information, kinda hard to use it from work i suppose,

all the fans are working, CPU fan, Video card fan, and the Power supply fan
    i heard as i bought the video card, it gets hot real easy, i do not have any other kind of fans in the box

what is a video card cooler?

I will look into a hard drive, as i know some are better than others, is there any sugestions mainly for gaming, what brand, whats faster, whats slower, ans so on, also the price is kinda important too as im not that wealthy at the time
    I heard something about 2 hard drives working side by side, it sounds good but probably very expensive, i heard some hard drives are around 100 dollars plus tax for 300 gig, thats amazingly much hard drive space "i remember when 20 meg hard drives was around that price"

I also thought my videocard would be good enough,

and the ram, i know people who load alot faster than me with less memory
    for the same game,
    my sons computer thats right next to mine got a lesser videocard, 512 meg ram, and only a 2,1 gig prossesor also pentium, and it loads the game about 30 sec to 1 min faster / map than my computer witch shuld do it alot faster than his,

as someone mentiones a faster prossesor, but faster than 3 gig?
    i thought 3 gig was still good, diddent know it was much faster sept the dual ones now

so far i suppose im aiming at a hard drive and some cooling device for the videocard, thank you alot for the information guys, i will post more as i come home with more and more exact stats on the system

Also make sure you always have about 20% free space on your hard drive and use the Windows Defrag tool to clean up the fragmented files on your computer.

Also have you been running Windows updates for your system?
    --- Standby to receive our transmission ---

Quote Originally Posted by Whir
    You could get a second drive and put the Windows swap drive in a hidden partition on it. That should speed up the page file a little bit.

Why a hidden partition?
    --- Standby to receive our transmission ---

Quote Originally Posted by homrok
    Thank you alot for the information, i will check Everest as i get home from work, im sorry if i peed in peoples cornflakes by posting from work without knowing the exact information, sorry guys
    I hope you didnt get the impression anyone was admonishing you for not having exact specs....
    I was just saying that until we know the type and speed of some components and what PSU your working with, it will be hard to make good suggestions...
    If your running PC2100 memory and have a 5200RPM HardDrive, then we know where your bottlenecks are...

here is the detailed information

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition

OS Service Pack Service Pack 2

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

intel pentium 4 , 3000mzh (15x200)

Motherboard Name Abit IC7-G (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 4 DDR DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN, IEEE-1394)

Motherboard Chipset Intel Canterwood i875P

System Memory 2048 MB (DDR SDRAM)

BIOS Type Award (01/28/04)

Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT (128 MB)

3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT AGP

Monitor EPI EnVision EN-985e [19" CRT] (131111783)

Audio Adapter Creative SB0350 Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Disk Drive ST310232A (10 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)

Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y060L0 (60 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

Optical Drive PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-107D (DVD+RW:8x/4x, DVD-RW:8x/4x, DVD-ROM:12x, CD:24x/24x/40x DVD+RW/DVD-RW)

Optical Drive SONY CD-ROM CDU5221 (52x CD-ROM)

C: (FAT32) 9748 MB (2724 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 58643 MB (497 MB free)

Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/100 S Desktop Adapter (192.168.2.94)

Network Adapter Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

Problems & Suggestions
    Problem Disk free space is only 1% on drive D:.

Bloodsample , DNA testing and Pee sample is in the mail will be there in 2 days
    =)

any sugestions?

Are your heatsinks clogged up with dust? If they are, then clean them before you try anything else.

Disk Drive ST310232A (10 GB, 5400 RPM, Ultra-ATA/66)
    Disk Drive Maxtor 6Y060L0 (60 GB, 7200 RPM, Ultra-ATA/133)

C: (FAT32) 9748 MB (2724 MB free)
    D: (NTFS) 58643 MB (497 MB free)
    It seems your main problem is an old slow C: drive which is formated to FAT32 combined with a D: drive that's just about full.

I'd suggest running disk cleanup on both drives, along with chkdsk /f and defragging. Also move some stuff off your D: drive to free up some space (do that first & the defrag will run quicker). I don't know how difficult starting fresh with your C: drive would be (very difficult for most people), but that would help things out too. Replacing that drive with a 7200rpm 8mb drive would really help.

A P4 3.0HT on a IC7-g with 2Gb ram & a 6600GT should play BF2 very well. Install AbitEQ from your motherboard CD. It can tell you how hot things are getting.

All the fans are clean , ive gone nuts with the carbonation spray or whats it's called, so both them and the entire computer is pretty much dust clean,

Quote Originally Posted by JLK03F150
    It seems your main problem is an old slow C: drive which is formated to FAT32 combined with a D: drive that's just about full.

I'd suggest running disk cleanup on both drives, along with chkdsk /f and defragging. Also move some stuff off your D: drive to free up some space (do that first & the defrag will run quicker). I don't know how difficult starting fresh with your C: drive would be (very difficult for most people), but that would help things out too. Replacing that drive with a 7200rpm 8mb drive would really help.

A P4 3.0HT on a IC7-g with 2Gb ram & a 6600GT should play BF2 very well. Install AbitEQ from your motherboard CD. It can tell you how hot things are getting.

is Fat32 bad,? also i shuld just get another drive, like a 200 or 300 gig one, put that one on C instead of the other junk, but dont i need to formate it before using it, and doesent the farmation turn it into Fat32?

any sugestions with hard drives? what shuld i get, im looking for something good for gaming, and not highest possible price eather, i was thinking around 100 to 200 dollars, and 200 is about the top price i can pay for one,

is there something else that would upgrade its performance?
    anything that might be a good idea,

cause like all computer users, "you just have to be close to the top of the line" i cant even get the disc cleanup to work on my D: drive, i am not sure why, but it works fine on my C: drive, but the D: drive is stick in the mode of cleaning or acualy checking what to clean i beleve, and it aint moving,

I'd recommend getting a new Hard Drive, and if you still have overheating problems, either get some more case fans, and/or a new Heat Sink fan.
    Also, what is your PSU?

Yeah, NTFS is prefered over FAT32 with Win XP. Not sure on all the details as to why, but someone else may know. Win XP should format a new HDD to NTFS. Was your OS upgradeed from Win98 or ME at some point? That would explain the C: drive formatted to FAT32.

Fry's has a deal on a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive for $70 until Tuesday - if you live near one. IMO that's a really good deal. Otherwise you should be able to find a nice size 7200RPM 8MB buffer PATA/SATA OEM for well < $100 if you do a little looking around.

How about running CPU-Z & checking the Memory & SPD Tabs out. I'm curious if your ram might be causing some problems too.

Your D: drive might be too full to run disk cleanup. You might have to manually move some stuff to the C: drive or maybe copy to CD-R/DVD-R (mp3's, avi's, mpg's, etc) to free up some space.

Have you checked in the case for dust buildup - like paul suggested - which could be causing your shutdowns? Intel cpu's will thermal throttle (slow themselves down) when they overheat prior to a BIOS temperature shutdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Reather
    I'd recommend getting a new Hard Drive, and if you still have overheating problems, either get some more case fans, and/or a new Heat Sink fan.
    Also, what is your PSU?
    might be stupid questions for tech experts like ya'll but,
    that is a heat sing fan, and where do i put it?

can i put more case fans into a box? thought it couldent be messed with
    do i need to drill new holes or something

im using a very plain metal box with nothing special

and.. probably a more stupid question, whats a PSU?
    "Personal system utillity?"

Heatsink Fan, they go onto the CPU.
    Yes, assuming there are slots open, you can put fans on them. Fan slots are circular, with screws around them. If you could post a picture [digital camera] of your case, that would enable us to tell you if there's a fan slot open.
    Also, PSU means Power Supply Unit. What is the brand, wattage, and amps on the 12V rail? Its the sticker on the Power Supply, a box-like thing on the top of the case.

Quote Originally Posted by JLK03F150
    Yeah, NTFS is prefered over FAT32 with Win XP. Not sure on all the details as to why, but someone else may know. Win XP should format a new HDD to NTFS. Was your OS upgradeed from Win98 or ME at some point? That would explain the C: drive formatted to FAT32.

Fry's has a deal on a 200GB Maxtor SATA drive for $70 until Tuesday - if you live near one. IMO that's a really good deal. Otherwise you should be able to find a nice size 7200RPM 8MB buffer PATA/SATA OEM for well < $100 if you do a little looking around.

How about running CPU-Z & checking the Memory & SPD Tabs out. I'm curious if your ram might be causing some problems too.

Your D: drive might be too full to run disk cleanup. You might have to manually move some stuff to the C: drive or maybe copy to CD-R/DVD-R (mp3's, avi's, mpg's, etc) to free up some space.

Have you checked in the case for dust buildup - like paul suggested - which could be causing your shutdowns? Intel cpu's will thermal throttle (slow themselves down) when they overheat prior to a BIOS temperature shutdown.

Yes is had win98 on it before, so thats probably why than

kinda funny about the 200 gig one cause i saw the add today in the paper and im interested it in, Maxtos serial ata/150 hard drive,
    150 mb/sec is what good?
    7200 rpm , not sure if thats good or not eather but my 10 gig one had like 5000 rpm so i assume its better
    and 8 meg buffert, i supose the more buffert the better

69.99$

i will check my Ram as i get baqck home tonight as im at work again, working weekends

the disc might indeed be too smacked up to handly the disc cleanup, that might be true, i will erase some stuff as i get home, and ill try again
    im sure there is a bunch of non needed stuff there

what about external drive, thats any good for gaming., or is it worse, or other sugestions?

is there even better hard drives around 200 to 300 gig avail for 100 to 200 dollard, thats better for gaming and struff than the 200 gig maxtor i just mentioned?

Heatsink Fan is sitting on your P4 & trying to keep it cool. If it's full of dust bunnies, your cpu is going to overheat.

Your case has spots for fans. All cases are different. I have 1 case with 4 80mm fans (2 blow in, 2 blow out), another with 2 120mm fans (1 blows in, 1 blows out). If you have room to add more, do so. The more ventilation the better.

PSU is Power Supply Unit. An undersized PSU can cause all sorts of systems problems, which is why Reather asked what type you have. Need to know how may watts total and the +12 volt amp rating.

Edit: Gosh I type slow. lol
    Last edited by JLK03F150; April 2nd, 2006 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reather
    Heatsink Fan, they go onto the CPU.
    Yes, assuming there are slots open, you can put fans on them. Fan slots are circular, with screws around them. If you could post a picture [digital camera] of your case, that would enable us to tell you if there's a fan slot open.
    Also, PSU means Power Supply Unit. What is the brand, wattage, and amps on the 12V rail? Its the sticker on the Power Supply, a box-like thing on the top of the case.

ahh ok,

i upgraded mine as my old one broke a while back, i can give you better information from home, as of now i just know its a 450 wats, cant remember brand just that it was not the cheapest one but definatly not the most expensive one, no idae on amps or other information, its less than a year old for sure, but as i said i will check and give better information on it as i get home, did that info help some?, or was it just useless info as more would be needed, i normaly build all my computers, but i dont know too much about comparing items with other items,like what hard drive is better, or stuff like that,

a pentium 4 to me is just as good as another pentium 4,

1 gig ram is as good as any other kind of 1 gig ram even is the 1st one was 50 dollars and the other one 300 dollars, i only see 1 gig vs 1 gig, i dont nkow the different dtuff on it, like some is faster than others and s on, same with hard drives and all the other items, i need to learn more about it for sure

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information