+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

FASTEST download speed ever

What's the FASTEST you've ever seen your browser read when downloading a file?

I normally see bursts (first few seconds) at 4000kb/s max but today when I downloaded Vista from Microsoft, I got 35,000kb/s!!!! I managed a prnt screen at 21,000kbs if someone requests it, too lazy to post it up... lol.

how in the heck did you get 35, 000 KB/s ... ??? what kind of broadband are you using..?? T1 ? T3 ? ..

man, I am running Road Runner and right now I am downloading Vista at a steady rate of 564 KB/sec.

don't see how you got that high of a speed..???

Lightbulb

you listed 35,000kb/s which is only 3.41 Mb/s with 8meg connections available there will be faster out there, but even a 2meg connection at quiet times could burst upto twice that, an 8 meg connection would be about 78,000kb/s.
    maybe i'm wrong but this it an idea to chuck at the experts. i-CONICA...

what kind of connection gives you those results...?

ive got a 10meg home connection and i get around 1600kbps during the day and up to 2000kbps from the UK Ubuntu servers at night

I have a 5MB standard high-speed connection with Shaw. Maybe their cap wasn't set at that moment and then instantly set when they noticed I had reached 35MB/s.

As for steady speeds, it just depends on current traffic at the site, I get 250kb/s steady on busy days and yesterday night when I hit 35,000kb/s, I was steady at 450kb/s after a few seconds. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to hit that speed again when re-clicking the link and then my "actual" download failed overnight so it's downloading right now.

@ i-CONICA - 35,000kb/s is not 3.5mb/s, it's 35mb/s.
    Last edited by lhsonic; June 9th, 2006 at 04:56 PM.

Firefox starts downloading the file before you give it a path, therefore when you take a second to give it a path it seems as if you're just broken speed records but it's just measuring the the info already downloaded. Don't know if explorer does the same thing but you've never really hit 35,000 KBps.
    size=1 rocks

Quote Originally Posted by rabidaardvark
    Firefox starts downloading the file before you give it a path, therefore when you take a second to give it a path it seems as if you're just broken speed records but it's just measuring the the info already downloaded. Don't know if explorer does the same thing but you've never really hit 35,000 KBps.
    dam! i KNEW it was something like that

...but THEN, how do u explain why Firefox reported a 102mb in 3 seconds downloaded?

Because it's downloading from the start or you already downloaded it.

Firefox will find it if you haven't moved it from the folder it originally downloaded to, so if it takes 3 seconds to re-find it and verify it then it'll read 102 MB in 3 seconds.
    size=1 rocks

I've done 1,200k/b over a 10megabit connection steady through the whole download.

i-CONICA...you're thinking of 8 megaBYTE connection...which is true if thats how people measure connections. What I have currently is a 3 megaBIT connection. For 35mb/s..you're going to have to have a 250megabit connection..which is like an OC18 (or something like that)

Unless I've misunderstood what you said .
    i7 950, 6GB 1333, ATI 5870, 2 RAID0

I've seen 100 Mb/s burst before on campus from select locations. The school has either a single or a dual OC-48 connection IIRC.

Ultimate Member
    If you're using Firefox to download things, it always reports the speed wrong. First of all, it reports the speed as data download/time elapsed (so its never actually your current download speed that is displayed). But on top of that, it starts downloading as soon as the download dialog popups (before you even click the save button), but doesn't start "counting" elapsed time until after you've clicked the save button.

Go download a big file (like a linux iso or something) let it sit at the download dialog for a minute or so, then finally click the "save" button... And you'll see what I mean.

Edit: And I somehow managed to completely miss rabidaardvark's post
    "Be quiet, Brain, or I'll stab you with a Q-tip"
    -Homer Simpson

Some of you guys are still confusing KB, and Kb...and its 2006.

Here is some information to help you see the reality of your download speeds.

The average Broadband ISP, which is 10mb/s (MegaBits) - which is 1000KB/s (Kilobytes).

That means you are downloading at 1MB (megabyte) per second, OR 10Mb (Megabits) /second.

So 35,000 Kb (kilobits)/second is actually 4.272 MB (MegaBytes) which is pretty fast. that means you can download 1 FULL song in 1 second.

Optonline/Cablevision is advertising Optiumum Boost - which is 30Mb/s (megaBIT) which is only 3 MB (Megabyte) /second.

The fastest I've seen was on a dedicated T3, to 1 windows 2003 server. and that hit 6 MB (megabytes) a second. Which is 49152 KB/s or 48 megabits/second.

A lot of T1's and T3's are frame relay, and shared between the entire network, and subneted through the entire building or buildings...so even a fortune 500 company with a t3 is usually only maxing a download of 5 or 6 (Mb, MEGABIT) p/s which is about 600KB, or 6000Kb/s. Speed may vary when downloading at work, depends on the amount of users downloading at the same time, and who's using what products, and also network status, and bottlenecks.

Hope some of you learned some information from my useless knowledge. lol

Quote Originally Posted by lhsonic
    I have a 5MB standard high-speed connection with Shaw. Maybe their cap wasn't set at that moment and then instantly set when they noticed I had reached 35MB/s.

As for steady speeds, it just depends on current traffic at the site, I get 250kb/s steady on busy days and yesterday night when I hit 35,000kb/s, I was steady at 450kb/s after a few seconds. Unfortunately, I couldn't get it to hit that speed again when re-clicking the link and then my "actual" download failed overnight so it's downloading right now.

@ i-CONICA - 35,000kb/s is not 3.5mb/s, it's 35mb/s.
    35,000kb/s is 4.2 MB (MegaBYTE). remember, Mb is Megabit - MB is megabyte.

35,000 KB is different than 35000 Kb.

35,000 KB is 34.1 MB (megabytes) which i highly doubt you attained.

KB - Kilobyte
    Kb - Kilobit
    Mb - Megabit
    MB - megabyte
    Last edited by pos_user; June 9th, 2006 at 07:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    I've got about... 3 kbps with an average of 1.6 kbps. Dial-up sucks

Ok, I'll use "correct" KB, Kb, MB, Mb usage in this post:::

I just found out my ISP offers me 5Mb connection, not 5MB lmao, I never knew that, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the download, with that specific browser at that time, I never downloaded 102MB worth of the file... and yes, it was 35,000KB = ~35MB/s download. And I clicked the "save" button right away.

Is there any chance that perphaps it was a fault on the ISP's end and it let me have 35MB/s for a short burst?

Quote Originally Posted by lhsonic
    Ok, I'll use "correct" KB, Kb, MB, Mb usage in this post:::

I just found out my ISP offers me 5Mb connection, not 5MB lmao, I never knew that, thanks for clearing that up.

As for the download, with that specific browser at that time, I never downloaded 102MB worth of the file... and yes, it was 35,000KB = ~35MB/s download. And I clicked the "save" button right away.

Is there any chance that perphaps it was a fault on the ISP's end and it let me have 35MB/s for a short burst?
    I mean, it "could" be...but i've never seen a burst that large and that fast....and the second part, is i've never seen a broswer be able to show the burst in such short a time.

So yes, maybeyou did hit 35,000KB, 35MB, but your average throughput is still the same.

although your router is probably a 10/100 Mb (megabit) - 100Mb is 10 MB, so it really couldnt send you any more data faster than it can handle....without losing TONS TONS of packets.

I love my 100mbit connection let me see who can beat my speed
    I was downloading from a web disk thing where you back up files for a monthly fee

I love my 100mbit connection let me see who can beat my speed
    See my above post...I beat you by a factor of 10. So what type of connection do you have? Sounds interesting.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information