+ Reply to Thread

powers up, no post screen

A couples of weeks ago, I put my computer to sleep and when I came back it wouldn't come out of sleep. I tried everything to get it back, but ended up shutting off and restarting.

Computer:

CPU: Athlon 2400
    MOBO: Biostar M7VIG
    Memory: 1.25 GB
    Chipset: VIA VT8375
    BIOS: Award (12/10/03)
    Video: S3 Graphics ProSavageDDR / SupersavageDDR
    some CD/DVD drives, a floppy, etc.

Anyway, no POST screen came up whatsoever, just flashing CD-Drives, a powered-on light, a backlight for the Ethernet plug in, and humming fans. I reset, and powered on and off multiple times, but no luck. I finally got the bright idea to try putting a disc in the drive and since I don't have a copy of XP, I threw in a Suse 10.1 disc. After several tries to read the disc, and more power on/off's, the Suse screen finally appeared on my monitor. I choose the boot from hard drive option, the POST screen appeared, and XP started. I thought I had found a reliable procedure for getting my computer started the next time.

But I didn't shut the machine off, because I didn't want to face the unknown again and wasn't sure my solution would work, anyway, it had taken a while to get the Suse disc to register in the first place. Then, in the process of setting up a DVD burn, I put a disc in the slave DVD-Rom drive and the computer lost all power instantly, and I was once again facing the prospect of starting via Suse: it didn't work. I thought the fact that using this drive had shut the computer off offered a clue as to what was making my computer malfunction, so I disconnected this drive and tried again. Still no luck. I left the thing off for a just used my notebook for a week. I opened the box up that next weekend and made sure everything was connected as it should be and cleaned everything up a little bit. I also reconnected the secondary DVD-Rom that I had unplugged earlier. When i turned the computer back on, the Suse disc worked.

Alas, the machine shut down again after a day or two(Windows update I think), and I immediately went for the Suse disc again. This time, no luck. The disc starts spinning for a 30 seconds or so, and then stops. Sometimes it doesn't even do that. No boot up to the Suse screen. I've tried:

1. unplugging and letting it sit for hours
    2. making sure all power connections are cool inside the box
    3. reconfiguring the master/slave configs of the disc drives.
    4. Accessing BIOS

is it time for new hardware? It seems like it but since everything works after I get that Suse screen up has me scratching my head.

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry for the lengthy spell-out of this situation.

mala-d

you try clearing cmos? or even fitting a new cmos battery?

thanks, i'll try

i'll give that a shot

thanks

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by doddsy View Post
    you try clearing cmos? or even fitting a new cmos battery?
    I know this is prolly a little of subject, but would this possibly also remove the multi boot type options..? I've tried re-formatting but that didn't do what I wanted to...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    sounds to me like the OP is having power supply issues, although I'm not certain why you wouldn't get a bios screen but you'd get a suse boot screen?? you sould start with some basic troubleshooting. Strip everything down to just the basics, cpu/hs/fan single stick of memory ect. and go from there. Are you using on-board video or is that a secondary video card?

NLM your post is completely off topic but no clearing the cmos doesn't fix your boot records and I'm assuming thats what you are talking about
    Last edited by RicheemxX; May 27th, 2007 at 06:28 PM.
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Sorry for being off topic, but as I saw that and I thought that it might do...

Yes, you were correct..... I'll have to either live with it, or search the threads/google/wiki...... I've done it somehow before, but I can't remember how....

Ta much anyway...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

i'll try it

yes, RicheemxX, that's an on board video card. I'll strip it down and see what happens. What is OP? Thanks for all of the suggestions so far.

mala-d

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    OP = original poster
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information