+ Reply to Thread

Symptoms of a bad power supply?

heyya TIMO,

its been a while since i had a problem :P but hey, things happen!

recently, ive been experiencing some random restarts, completely random, doesnt seem to be related to anything. i thought it was the operating system at first, but it doesnt seem to be the problem. (im running windows xp)

other than the random restarts, it seems like the power button on my computer doesnt seem to always want to work. im using an antec p180 case, so i dont know if its known to have these issues. granted, i do not turn off my computer much since i leave it running all the time when im at school.

also, after i restarted my computer, my mx revolution decided to die on me. it doesnt seem to want to connect .

what a crappy day!

is there anyway for me to verify that my power supply is causing the restarting issue?

There are a few things that can cause random restarts, including bad memory, flaky motherboard, and obviously a bad power supply
    Checking for bad caps on the mobo is really only for older tech, nowadays thats rarely an issue... (since you have a fairly expensive modern case, I'll assume the components are of the age that doesnt have a "caps" issue) But a list of specs would help...
    Use Everest to find out anything you dont already know...
    Bad memory can be checked by running memtest
    And the best way to diagnose a bad power supply is to tell us the brand and the Amperage on the +12V rail from the sticker

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=30546

i did a quick google search on my power supply and it seems like im not the only one

so is it safe to say its my power supply? im about to order an Ultra X series.

No, dont replace garbage with garbage...
    For the long answer, read through the sticky...
    For the short answer get something like the Fortron here...
    Since you didnt bother with a list of specs, this will cover any build that isnt SLI, or overloaded with components and a super high-end video card
    ( did you even bother reading my post?)

Random restarts can also occur when a computer overheats, so you might want to check your airflow and make sure everything's clean and able to run cool before you go out and buy a new PSU that you may not necessarily need. It sounds like the PSU probably is the problem, but it's best to cover your bases before you go out and spend money on something that may not help anything.

I'd also inspect your board for leaking or budged capacitors. That seems to be the kiss of death for most of my boards...
    Obama is a deer caught in history's headlights.

Quote Originally Posted by JPMiller View Post
    No, dont replace garbage with garbage...
    For the long answer, read through the sticky...
    For the short answer get something like the Fortron here...
    Since you didnt bother with a list of specs, this will cover any build that isnt SLI, or overloaded with components and a super high-end video card
    ( did you even bother reading my post?)
    Well on the list posted, antec is in the "good" category, and Ultra is in the "bad." I've actually heard more good about Ultra than Antec. And seeing how I have an Antec Smartpower 2.0 right now that I think is dying, I dont really want to go antec again.

Im running an amd am2 3800+, 3gb of ram, 750gb hd, and a 7900GT.

Because of how the p180 is made, I would really rather have a modular power supply. There isnt too much room in there for a PSU unit with all the wires attached. Not to mention, that the motherboard 4pin connector is all the way at the top now
    Last edited by Eryk; September 30th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

I have an ASUS m2a-vm MB an amd a2 3600+ dual core 64bit, 3gb ddr2 800mhz, XFX 9800 gt, WD cav. 80gb, WD cav. 640bg, LG dvd burner, lite on cd burner and a 500w ultra Xconnect no problems even with 6 fans at max, system runs cool, quite and handles windows 7 beta with games like WoW lich king and far cry 2 with no issues, I've had probly 6 antec psu in the last 10 years and they all shit the bed with no warning, or in the case of 1 of them I had maybe 3 days of reboots before it died

Quote Originally Posted by stoddern View Post
    I have an ASUS m2a-vm MB an amd a2 3600+ dual core 64bit, 3gb ddr2 800mhz, XFX 9800 gt, WD cav. 80gb, WD cav. 640bg, LG dvd burner, lite on cd burner and a 500w ultra Xconnect no problems even with 6 fans at max, system runs cool, quite and handles windows 7 beta with games like WoW lich king and far cry 2 with no issues, I've had probly 6 antec psu in the last 10 years and they all shit the bed with no warning, or in the case of 1 of them I had maybe 3 days of reboots before it died
    Why did you buy six of them then if they all kept "shitting the bed without warning"?

Didn't you get fed up after the first two or three?

Also i think Eryk has probably solved the issue by now..... after about a year and a half.
    "I hope you leave enough room for my fist because I'm going to ram it into your stomach and break your god-damn spine! "

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information