+ Reply to Thread

62" Samsung TV (DLP) keeps turning off.

I have a 62" Samsung DLP and have loved it up till now. For some unknown reason the TV will shut itseld off after about only 5 mins of view time. Yesterday it did this repeatedly after turning it on again, it would shut itself off over and over. I don't believe that I have a timer set and the sleep timer says it is off in the menu screen.
    This problem was not an issue until recently. This problem only started to occur after I got an iMac in Feburary. Is it possible that the computer is interfering with TV's power signal. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I see that this is more of a computer forum but any advice would be greatly appriciated!

I don't know much about TVs so this is a shot in the dark. With all the new stuff the things have to be getting hot. How hot is the room your in and how well is the air flow?
    Don't buy Amd case stickers buy cyrix instead. If anyone brakes into your home your Amd will be gone, unless you have your very own cyrix stick-on

Same Problem

I have a 53" DLP Samsung and it has done the same 4 times today. I have had the problem for 3 months now and called Best Buy since I have warranty plan. They replaced the color wheel and then the bulb on the last visit and it still continues to turn itself off. It is annoying and now I have best buy coming out this week to give me another line of BS. I can't make it happen while the guy is here so who knows how they are going to fix it.

Steve

i'd check the power supply or the fan. the tv will shut itself off if it gets too hot or doesn't register the fan as working, not to mention need full juice to run....
    just a thought, also what kind of circuit is this all connected to, grounded, with other devices, 220v etc??

Samsung TV shuts off

I too have a Samsung TV "37 Inch" flat screen that also shuts off on it's own, the same as you describe. For a couple of weeks the picture would return upon restart, however, a few days ago, it shut-off and won't come back at all. I've tried about everything in an attempt to get the TV back on---It has power, lights are on, but it will not turn on any picture or even a screen sizzle--just solid black--nothing.

I've written (emailed) to Samsung Customer Support providing all the details. The TV is the Samsung HD model and is about 2 years old. I've heard nothing thus far from Samsung Customer Service.

Anyone have a suggestion?

TV challenged in Florida

magiclantern

We have a 4 year old 53" Samsung LDP that has the same problem. Out of warranty, so we were referred by Samsung to a local authorized repair shop. After days of back 'n forth between Samusing, the repair place, and us, they told us it was probably the curcuit board. Between their 295.00 minimum visit fee + the part, we were going to be at around 550.00.

And, yes, the TV turns off but can always be turned back on at which point it might run for a half hour uninterrupted or maybe 4 or even 5 hours, as it did yesterday.

I DO now wonder if it's colliding with something else electronic in the house and, yes, there is no guarantee it would ever shut down during a repair person's visit. In any case, it doesn't seem worth fixing as new ones cost only about 400.00 more and we've been warned that the "bulb" could need replacing soon.

Remember when TVs ran for 10-15 years flawlessly? I'm so angry; the thing new was 2,300.00!!

bdj
    Back when color televisions first came out, they were only tubes, no solid state devices. When I was in college, I had a then 5 year old RCA set. I would replace all the tube once a year. It helped that I worked in an electronics store, and could get what I needed for free. But that TV ran for some 12 years without any problems. Try doing that today.

bdj

62" DLP keeps shutting off

Quote Originally Posted by donlester View Post
    I too have a Samsung TV "37 Inch" flat screen that also shuts off on it's own, the same as you describe. For a couple of weeks the picture would return upon restart, however, a few days ago, it shut-off and won't come back at all. I've tried about everything in an attempt to get the TV back on---It has power, lights are on, but it will not turn on any picture or even a screen sizzle--just solid black--nothing.

I've written (emailed) to Samsung Customer Support providing all the details. The TV is the Samsung HD model and is about 2 years old. I've heard nothing thus far from Samsung Customer Service.

Anyone have a suggestion?

TV challenged in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by Drezos View Post
    I have a 62" Samsung DLP and have loved it up till now. For some unknown reason the TV will shut itseld off after about only 5 mins of view time. Yesterday it did this repeatedly after turning it on again, it would shut itself off over and over. I don't believe that I have a timer set and the sleep timer says it is off in the menu screen.
    This problem was not an issue until recently. This problem only started to occur after I got an iMac in Feburary. Is it possible that the computer is interfering with TV's power signal. Has anyone else had this problem?
    I see that this is more of a computer forum but any advice would be greatly appriciated!

I had this problem, you have to change the bulb. The cost for someone to come out is expensive without a plan, but you can order the bulb and then put it in yourself.

Blog Entries
    That may or may not be true. Most projection sets, if made within the last five years, display a text message on the screen telling you to replace the bulb. If no such message appeared, it may not be the bulb. Could be a lot of other things however. Possibly a damaged ballast.

People that don't understand that rear projection TVs require bulb service are not responsible enough to own them. Research before dropping that much money on a piece of entertainment equipment. And if the salesperson didn't inform the customer, don't shop there - they obviously don't care about what they're selling.

Anyway, this thread is quite old and is probably just getting hits from Google searches at this point.

Replace TV

I called out best buy 7 times in a 2 week period and finally they let me get a plasma. The tech kept telling me that the area behind it has to be clean and clear of any dust. He then kept replacing the bulbs and the color wheel. Sadly, it kept happening all the way up to the day I returned it. 5 mins of tv and it would shut down and the light would blink in the front.

My advice is if you have a warranty then use the hell out of it until the replace it. My second advice is go with a Pioneer Plasma 52 inch 720 dpi which is about 800-1200 at sears or best buy. If you go with best buy, then watch the ads for sears because you can get the difference back from best buy plus 10% and they do get beat by sears very often. I just like best buy's repair plan which I ended up getting for free by the time I price matched Sears 3 times in a month. Good Luck, and don't blame it on your computer, it is your Samsung.

Bulb door sensor

I had the same problem. Samsung authorized repair person tested it and determined that the bulb door open sensor was bad, making the tv think the door was open. He replaced the sensor and the tv works great again. A few weeks later a friend of mine who bought a Samsumg DLP the same time I bought mine, had the same problem. Replacing the bulb door sensor fixed his tv also.

samsung dlp shutting down

Quote Originally Posted by Drezos View Post

Angry Samsung dlp shutting itself off

No sir, it is not caused by your iMac because I don't have one and my se tv has done the same thing for the past two years. I don't know why this is and all samsung told me is that I would be better off buying another tv from them rather than fixing it. It drives me nuts and I have not been able to find out why it does this. I get so frustrated I want to throw the tv off my back deck some days. All I can tell you is count to 15 and turn it back on, if you turn it on too quick it will keep doing it. Counting to 15 and turning it back on usually buys me an additional 15 minutes before I have to do it again. I feel your pain my friend.

MY 62" SAMSUNG DLP IS FIXED!!!!

My TV used to turn off all the time and it is now fixed!

Remove the lamp access panel, tape the blue door switch to the DOWN position, put the access panel back on.

The fact that it developes into a problem over time has something to do with the expanding and contracting of parts and plastics over years of use and the switch supposing to be down instead of up.

Smile FIXED---Samsung 54 in Rear Proj. TV turning itself off

I have been having this problem as others also seem to have had of the TV turning itself off time and time again until it is very very anoying.
    I read somewhere that it could be fixed by tightening the screws of the bulb carrier.
    Ichecked the screws and found them all to be tight.
    Then the brain wave----
    I put a good sized washer under the head of the screw holding the carrier in place and BINGO--NO MORE TURNING OFF.
    The TV has a great picture and we are once again enjoying it.
    Hamilton C

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information