+ Reply to Thread

Unhappy My Dell and my Laptop hell...PLZ HELP..

LAst night I was using my laptop fine everything worked correctly.Then today I woke up and it won't turn on at all?Also my power adaptor has a green light on it until I plug it into my laptop then light goes off and my battery charging light on my laptop won't come on either.Any ideas on how to fix?I have a Dell Latitude C640..

Hi. TD7er3:

Pull the battery out and press the button to check the battery charge. If you get a blinking yellow/green light, your battery is dead.

TY I pulled out battery and same thing no battery light indicator on laptop.And when I plug the power cord into wall w\o it being plugged into laptop it lights up then when I plug it inot laptop light goes away on power cord.I am puzzled.When it loaded up fine night before now won't even turn on or light up.

Inspect your power adapter for any damage whatsoever. I was asked to look at an HP Laptop with the same symptoms, and it turns out the cord between the brick was torn.

Cheezy Diagram

WALL---------BRICK-----<torn>-------LAPTOP

Also, inspect the DC Jack in the laptop. It is common for after a while of use, due to the stress put on the connector, they become loose. See if there is any play in the jack. If there is, you need to have the jack repaired. Unless you are comfortable with a soldering iron, I'd suggest taking it to a pro.

If there is no play in the jack (its soild, no movement) the try another power adapter. Look thru craigslist or the phone book to find a laptop shop that stocks that specific adapter. They should let you test it at the store, and if it powers on, you need a new adapter

I am a DSCE, so I can pull up the troubleshooting for it if you can't find it.

After re-reading your original post, I'd bet that the charger is bad.

TY so much I will try it and let u know if it works.I hope that is it bacause like I said the night before it was working fine.Although I did notice the charger was pretty hot feeling come to think of it.I just got done loading Sim2 on there too.lol so now gotta wait to play it But that might be it cause the charger has a green light on it when I plug it into the wall but then when I plug it into laptop light goes out and won't come back on until I detach from laptop then unplug and replug into the wall.So I will update u in a few to see if that is it.TY very much...

If the light goes out when you plug it in that sounds to me like a fault or short somewhere, the charger may be OK running the LED on the brick but as soon as you connect the laptop it can no longer make charge or is cutting out to protect the laptop/charger.

Scenario 1: There is a short somewhere, when you plug in the charger it shorts and the charger goes into self protect.

Scenario 2: The charger is faulty (if it was overly hot then there is a good chance), if the charger is on it's last legs then it could be producing 19.5V but NO amps, enough to light the LED but as soon as you load it the voltage crashes and nothing works.

Scenario 3: The laptop has a fault in the input/battery regulator and is pulling an excessive current due to a fault; this could have been what caused your charger to overheat last night as it was at or near max load. Again charger will cut out to protect itself and connected equipment.

Wink Charging brick or Motherboard?

It may be neither. If you have performed all the checks suggested above AND completed the manufactuer's process of elimination re: the charger and everything checks out- don't be so hasty to assume it's an equipment issue within the laptop. I have a D420 that's 2.5 yrs old and treated gently but used about 60 hrs/ wk. It's the original battery but I use it more on a docking station than running off the brick. It displayed the same issues you are having- green light with brick plugged into AC outlet but light goes out when plugged into DC of computer. Battery is charging when in dock station but not on brick." I tried a Kennsington universal charger and it works fine. I tried my brick on a Dell Inspiron and it worked fine. Long and short of it, with the aid of a Dell support team and using my warranty- it's a spybot and Bios issue.
    Dell's fix for my problem: (Roughly, because I'm sure to leave something out)-
    Everything off; Remove battery and turn off WiFi switch or remove card; Plug into charger with green light working; Hard cable(Ethernet) to internet; Power up holding down the Function button; Run a quick diagnostic to the prompts (mine checked out ok for the motherboard); Hard turn off(button off); Restart and open IE 6 or later; (Here's where I glaze over); The Dell support downloaded Windows Scanner from Microsoft and found 596 unauthorized items (and yes, I used our large company's anti-virus software with associated firewalls); They reflashed my Bios, updated my audio and video files and loaded "Defender" onto my computer; By the way, they did all this over the hard cable connection to the internet while I was on the phone with them. It took about 2 hrs, what with the necessary turning on and off of the computer. Everything OK this morning and I'm back to work. Moral of this story, Buy the Damn Extended Warranty. It's worth every penny. Oh, and the best of all- I waited for a technician a whole 4 minutes!!! Enough already with the ney sayers . -GOOD LUCK

We won't ask what sites you're visiting on company time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information