+ Reply to Thread

Can a Gateway Gaming laptop P-6831FX run bf3 on low-medium settings with ~40 fps?

Can a Gateway Gaming laptop P-6831FX run bf3 on low-medium settings with ~40 fps? with 8 gig of ram and a Nvidia 8800GT 1GB graphics card

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    If its running the Core 2 Duo Dual core 1.67GHz CPU, its just going to be too low end to be worth it.

40fps, doubt it, you'd be lucky to get 20-25fps out of it.

Gateway P-6831FX User Review

That 8800GTS they include with it, surprised it was even an option with that CPU, when I had my Desktop Core 2 Duo E6400, with a 320MB 8800GTS (lesser specs than the 512MB/1GB Model 8800GTS), it was a bit of a bottleneck, and the E6400 ran at 2.16GHz.

even here this was listed as an under powered CPU: Gateway P-6831FX Overview & User Reviews - Laptops - CNET Reviews

From what I can tell it only had that CPU too: Gateway Support - P-6831 FX Notebook Specifications

you listed a 1GB 8800GT, even though its 1GB, the 8800GT was a lesser performing version of the 8800GTS.

now days, $50-70 range Desktop cards easily match or beat an old 8800GT.

Based on your last thread, how much money do you have for a Laptop or Desktop to play BF3, and where are you located in the world?
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

thanks shyguy, my budget is very low ~$550 USD, im from utah, U.S.A.

do you NEED a laptop, or can it be a desktop system?

Reason I ask is for that budget range there just isn't anything worthwhile to get that will run BF3 at moderate settings decently.

Either you can find one with a decent graphics chip and a slow low end CPU, or its a Decent CPU and a low end Budget Graphics chip, but for both, your needing to find something a good $200-250 higher at least in budget.

For used, or refurbished, you might be able to get something, but its a matter of where to look, and the pricing.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

if it were a desktop system, you could easily piece together something decent in that price range, miles better than a laptop, at least for new tech.

ya, ive put together a list on new egg for a computer that should beable to run it for $580, but the operating system is another $100 and i have never built a computer before so i dont know for sure if my parts are even compatible

Post the parts here with links back to Newegg, several of us here can look though your list to see what's compatible.

As to putting it together, it's pretty easy and there are several guides available on the internet.
    To those who might be saying goodbye, take your sadness in stride as you walk toward the beautiful horizon.

you don't need the cables, those come with the motherboard, so that can be deleted.

you don't have a Power Supply listed which would be needed, same with a case.

Unless you plan on Overclocking the 1600 Rated RAM is not needed.

The Motherboard is too expensive for the budget, and not needed.

The Hard drive is a really slow Green Series, and is really only intended for low power systems or for data storage.

you've got the DVD drive listed twice...

Cutting some corners, went with an Intel Build list, the Pentium listed can easily take on most AMD Quad cores, as the 3GHz version can best almost ALL but a couple top end AMD Quad cores, including besting the AMD FX one you listed.

so this 2.8GHz model shouldn't be far behind.

Newegg.com - Intel Pentium G840 Sandy Bridge 2.8GHz LGA 1155 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623G840

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-H61MA-D3V LGA 1155 Intel H61 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M1A1333C9

Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS500-PCARD3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Newegg.com - Refurbished: EVGA 01G-P3-1556-RX GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card Refurbished so save some costs

Newegg.com - Refurbished: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive Also Refurbished to save costs with out sacrificing size and speed

Newegg.com - HEC Blitz Black Steel Edition ATX Mid Tower Computer Chassis Gaming Case w/ Front Blue LED 120mm Fan & Top 120mm Fan

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 22X DVD Burner 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM SATA Model SH-222BB/BEBE - CD / DVD Burners

Subtotal: $597.91

Shipping: $9.02

Not sure if this exceeds your budget max, or if you can muster together another $50 or so to cover it, but it'd be your best bet IMO.

AMD has really limited itself with the New FX series, that Quad core being no faster than similar priced prior gen Quad cores.

I looked at an AMD Athlon II X3 Rana 3.3GHz Triple core setup, but that CPU would perform less than that 2.8GHz Intel Dual core above.

thanks shyguy, i accidentally put another cd reader instead of this powersupply/case combo: Newegg.com - RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WBP Black 1.0mm SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Foldout MB Computer Case With 500W Power Supply

but your build sounds much better, how well would it run bf3 on normal settings?

i found this computer online for $450 could it run bf3 and is it good price? Dell Inspiron 560
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
    6.0 GB DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    750 GB Hard Drive
    DVD-RW
    16:1 Media Card Reader

Windows Experience Index:
    Processor: 7.2
    Memory: 7.2
    Graphics: 7.2
    Gaming Graphics: 7.2
    Hard Drive: 5.9

yeah, you don't want that Raidmax PSU, its garbage. The Case would be ok, but the PSU is junk.

The list I put together, should run BF3 on normal/moderate settings pretty good.

I haven't bought the game yet, but I know my 2 PC's could easily run it on moderate to high settings.

something like what I listed is about half the performance of what my systems are.

So it should run on normal settings good enough.

SoloCam on here has a GTX 550 Ti, he might be able to give a better idea of how it may run, not sure if he has BF3 or not, but he does play Skyrim on it.

The Refurbed 550 Ti above is also Factory Overclocked past stock speeds of 900Mhz to 951MHz.

Its only a 90 Day warranty on the card, but to cut costs its worth it.

The Hard drive, is a Western Digital Black Series, some of the fastest 7200RPM drives out there, but due to HDD pricing through the roof since last years East Asia Typhoon season, and damage it created. Refurb and Open box deals are kind of worth it.

Normally that drive would of been about $100 -125 brand new before the price hikes.

the case, isn't a completely tool less design, but its a decent case, has plenty of room, and more than adequate airflow and ventilation. (Have the same case for one of my PC's, as does JP Miller, who's used them in several builds).

if your looking at some Cases with PSU's included one of these would be suitable.

Newegg.com - Thermaltake VL84301W2Z V3 Black Edition with 430W Power Supply ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

or this Antec

Newegg.com - Antec NSK 4482 Black / Silver 0.8mm cold rolled steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 380W Power Supply

The Antec has the better PSU, but the Thermaltake has the better price.

Quote Originally Posted by a_bakedpotato View Post
    i found this computer online for $450 could it run bf3 and is it good price? Dell Inspiron 560
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 GHz
    6.0 GB DDR3 RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450
    750 GB Hard Drive
    DVD-RW
    16:1 Media Card Reader

Windows Experience Index:
    Processor: 7.2
    Memory: 7.2
    Graphics: 7.2
    Gaming Graphics: 7.2
    Hard Drive: 5.9

WEI doesn't mean squat, don't be duped into thinking its a measurement of how powerful the system is for gaming or anything else, its ONLY good for measuring how well the PC will run Windows Vista or Windows 7.

The system isn't too bad, a bit dated, but still capable.

The CPU isn't too bad. The GPU, is a bit less powerful than the GTX 550 Ti.

in that range of cards, the Radeon 5750/6750 ranks the lowest, the GTS 450 is after that, then the Radeon 5770/6770, then the GTX 550 Ti is next.

The New Radeon 7770 is actually as good or better than the GTX 550 Ti, sells for that price range $125 range, and uses only 80W of power, vs the 110-115W or so the GTX 550 Ti uses and 100-105W or so that the 6770 uses.

Over all that system should run the game at normal settings, not sure how well, but it should play it at decent moderate settings with playable frame rates as long as too many settings aren't jacked up, or too high of a resolution.

Does that PC list What brand and model of Power supply it has in it?

its custom built and i dont know about the psu

I'd find that out first before even considering buying it.

Granted you could probably install one yourself being $100 Below your original budget listed above, but would be nice to know what is actually in there to begin with.

Also couldn't hurt to find out the exact Motherboard model, and Case thats used as well.

do you have a link to this system?

hey, i found another computer that seems alot better, heres the ad: Desktops Classifieds for Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming | ksl.com and heres its specs as the seller says: "Core 2 Quad 2.7 GHZ
    XFX 750i Motherboard
    8gb DDR2 pc2-8500 Memory
    2x Nvidia GTX 460 in SLI (better than a single GTX 580 Card)
    CD/DVD Drive
    DVD Drive
    250gb Hard Drive
    OCZ GameXstream 700w Power Supply
    Antec Skeleton Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit"

is this computer worth $500? seller claims that it can run bf3 on max with 60+fps easy, thanks!

This computer will play MW3, Skyrim, and BF3 on max settings and get over 100 FPS. Make me an offer. I am also willing to trade for an iPad 2.
    To make that claim for all 3 is pure "fluff".

MW3 as advanced as it is, isn't exactly a taxing game, a GTX 560 Ti or 570 could easily get that kind of Frame rate. Skyrim is VERY scalable for the video cards, so it depends on the overall settings. And BF3? Not unless they were running at low resolutions with Anti Aliasing off.

Two GTX 460's in SLI might be AS good as a GTX 580, but not that much better than one.

Note they didn't list the models of GTX 460.

There are 3 Official Models, and at least one unofficial version.

There's the low end GTX 460 SE which is a 1GB Reduced spec version of the top end model.

Then the 768MB GTX 460, which is next up the list.

Then the GTX 460 1GB which is the top dog (two of these in SLI will be as good as a single GTX 580).

Then there is the 1GB GTX 460 That EVGA sells, which has ALL the specs of the normal 1GB Model, but runs on a reduced Memory Bus of 192-bit instead of 256-bit, but to compensate for that, they have it Overclocked to Well beyond what the stock speeds are, and even faster than a GTX 560 that replaced the 460.

So depending on which actual 460 they have in that rig, to claim its better than a single 580 is more "fluff" to sell it on.

Add to the problem, you don't always get a 100% boost in performance with SLI or even Crossfire for that matter, as there are a TON of factors that come into play, between how well the games interact with video card drivers, in game settings, which games favor one brand of card over the other (Nvidia or AMD/ATI), if the CPU is too slow or weak, that plays into it, etc.

now, 2 GTX 560 Ti's in SLI WILL beat a single GTX 580.

the one problem I see with this rig, is the Power supply, its a good brand, good model, has more than enough power...

however, the OCZ GXS 700W has been around for YEARS, and that may not be a newer PSU. I had a 700W GameXStream in my old Core 2 Duo E6400 system FIVE years ago.

so for all we know that PSU could be just as old, and mine already kicked the bucket over 2 years ago.

The Antec Skeleton Case, isn't even really case, its more a test bench type case, its entirely exposed, which is good for cooling, but can build up dust easily, stuff can be spilled on it, hell even dropping a paper clip on it could hose the PC, if used as a regular case.

overall the price is good, but I'd inquire with the seller how old the PSU is, and which two GTX 460's it actually is.

If they are in fact EVGA Branded cards, also ask them if the Warranty is Transferable with them as well. Some EVGA cards have a lifetime warranty and are transferable from one owner to the next.

Even if its the lower end GTX 460 SE's in SLI, its still worth the price their asking.

Although their Running an Older Nvidia 750i SLI motherboard, I'd also just ask them if the CPU has ever been Overclocked really high.

All legit questions to ask when buying used like this, especially since they never bothered to volunteer the info.

Reason I mention about the CPU if it was overclocked, the user has DDR2 1066MHz RAM in that system, which was an Overclock Rated memory for Socket 775, DDR2 800Mhz was the max "Stock" Rated Memory speed before getting into Overclock ratings.

It can probably run BF3 at 60fps or more at high settings, and maybe on max, but what a lot of idiots online consider max settings, they jack up ALL the settings Except Anti Aliasing at average Resolution, and then claim their PC can run a given game at max settings and get Umpteen Million Frames Per Second...

Until they jack up the games max AA settings, and run at the max their monitors can support, then they are NOT running at Max Settings.

Its why I've gotten into arguments on here with some new members, about their bogus claims of running a given game at max settings on a KNOWN low end graphics card.

Hell, I have a game My PC can run at over 500fps with everything max, and even then additional options forced on in the Nvidia control panel.

Bear in mind, that game dates back to 2005.

If I run a game at near max or maxed out, I truly do run it maxed out, with AA enabled and everything.

I think there was one time on here or somewhere else I got into an argument with some kid who claimed to run Crysis fully maxed with a low end card and claiming a certain frame rate.

meanwhile I was running a card 5 or 6 times more powerful, Running the game at 1920x1080, EVERY option maxed out including Anti Aliasing and Running the game in 64-bit mode, as well as DirectX 10 mode... and was not getting anywhere near this kids claims for performance. as they were running the game on XP in DirectX 9 mode and 32-bit.

Anyways, ask about the PSU, its age. Ask about the CPU if its been overclocked, if so, how high, how long.

and inquire about which GTX 460's it actually is.

but even for the lowest end 460's the price is still a good deal.

It'd cost you more than $500 to build a comparable Core i3 or i5 system, or even an AMD based rig with all that systems specs.

the case itself was well over $100 when new, the PSU, I remember shelling out $125+, CPU was a good $300-400 CPU new, Motherboard was about $100-150, each GTX 460, you could get one of the newer 192-bit EVGA ones for around $140, Truckpuller on here just got one last week. so you'd be looking at $280 for the cards, Win 7 Ultimate is $200. 8GB DDR2 has got to be nearly $75-100...

So if you factor in all the items at their new prices when they came out, you'd be looking at WELL over $1000 in hardware there.

so yeah, price wise, its a Sweet deal, maybe not the newest hardware but more than capable of what your wanting, just make sure to ask questions that need to be asked.

thank you so much for all of your help shyguy, ive been to a lot of forums and no one listens or even respond to a n00b like me, you prove that there is hope for internet users! thanks! i asked the questions and the guy said that the graphics cards are asus 768mb, he doesn't know what year the psu is and he hasnt over clocked it

Well, if he doesn't remember, it has to have been a couple/few years ago at least.

as long as the PSU hasn't been abused and hasn't had too many power outages, surges or spikes to it, it should be fine.

Thats what killed mine, had been through quite a few blackouts, brown outs and was in a friends PC I built for him, when it took the brunt of a surge from a storm, PSU did its job though took the brunt of it, and saved the rest of the PC's hardware.

a Couple 768MB models in SLI should be close to a 580 in performance, I don't think they would equal one, but would be dang close in performance.

The EVGA GTX 460 2Win is a Dual GTX 460 1GB Card, priced way less than a GTX 580, but uses more power.

it just barely nudges out a Single GTX 580.

EVGA GeForce GTX 460 2WIN 2GB dual-GPU Graphics Card Review | Battlefield: Bad Company 2

This 2Win card should yield a tad better SLI performance than a regular Pair of GTX 460 1GB's in a PC, since its all on one board.

but that 2Win card is also factory Overclocked about 25Mhz over stock, for both GPU's as well.

EVGA now sells a GTX 560 Ti 2Win instead.

but those 768MB cards would be a bit less in performance than the 1GB models, and would/should be about on par to a GTX 580. possibly could be a bit better as well, since its been about a year since that card came out, and drivers for it should be much better.

either way, its around the same performance level as the 580, in SLI mode.

some games might not cope to well with SLI, or utilize it very well, which could result in reduced performance. Or result in deactivating one card, for that game.

one of the draw backs to SLI.

but again, for the price of the system, its still a good deal.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is 10 and 5 added together?

Thread Information