+ Reply to Thread

About to purchase the components for a budget Gaming PC, would love some feedback

Budget of $750

Here's what i have so far:

CPU: i5 2500 $210
    GC: radeon 6870 $148
    Mobo: Intel Micro-ATX DH67BL B3 $90
    RAM: XMS3 1333MHz 8gb $48
    PSU: Cooler Master 500W $40
    Monitor: eMachine 21.5 LCD E211H $85

To cut corners even further, I will be using my old Windows XP Tower and old 120GB Hard Drive. Since I am planning on using this computer more or less solely for gaming, I figure for now at least, 120GB is fine until a birthday/christmas roles around.

Of course, since I will be using an old HDD that uses PATA I will also be purchasing a PATA PCI Card, but those are usually very cheap and I can find one quickly.

Also, I will be using an old DVD Drive - I believe it's about 6 years old.

Bear with me, I am new to this and have thus far been getting the worst headaches trying to track down the best deals. I am considering swapping the CPU from i5 2500 to i5 2400 to save $30. Do you think the difference is worth the cost?

Before you berate me on this monitor, I will tell you that the seller, blinq, has a great return policy. I know emachines are not everyone's favorite, but I simply can't pass down a 1080p 21.5" monitor for less than $100.

Finally, all these items I am showing and their prices are on Amazon.com. I did search newegg and tigerdirect and was not able to find a better price, as almost all of these products on amazon (save the monitor) will come with free shipping.

Please rate this set-up, thank you.

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    $90 for an H67 chipset motherboard is ridiculously high.

For about the same price, you could get a MicroATX Z68 Chipset motherboard instead:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, Intel Motherboards, LGA 1155, Intel Z68

If your looking for Free Shipping and lower priced H61/H67 boards look here, PLENTY to choose from on newegg.

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Motherboards, Intel Motherboards, LGA 1155, Intel H61/H67/HM67, Free Shipping

You could opt for a list like this, all free shipping, and only the motherboard is Open Box with Free Shipping (may be missing parts like cables, or Rear I/O backplate, but the board itself should be fine, may have to download drivers from website for it too, but Win 7 should install everything it needs usually anyways)

Newegg.com - XFX HD-687A-ZHFC Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 (CMPSU-430CXV2) 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Newegg.com - Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TED38192M1333HC9DC

Newegg.com - Open Box: MSI H61M-E33 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Newegg.com - Intel Core i5-2500 Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 BX80623I52500

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Operating Systems

Grand Total: $613.94

Comes out less than the parts from Amazon above, all with free shipping. (not including monitor above or similar part, add up all the parts in your list minus the monitor and total is more)

The PSU is a 430W rated unit, but still has enough power to run the system as listed, still will need to use a 6 Pin PCIE adapter connection on the video card, as you would with the Coolermaster PSU.

also there's a Promo Code for the PSU that drops its price another $8 until March 5th.

$8 off w/ promo code EMCNHHB34, ends 3/5

But then its just a matter of getting a cheap PCI PATA card, and the downside to those are finding out you need Floppy Driver to run during Windows Install process for the Hard drive through the Controller card.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-212 VIA PCI SATA 1.5G / IDE ATA 133 Controller Card / Supports Raid 0, 1, 0+1, JBOD, non-RAID mode

Attention: Need a floppy driver on PC if you want to install a new OS into a fresh HD attaching to this card
    Providing two modes for your system- Mode 1: expanding two ATA and two SATA devices without RAID construction to your system. Mode 2: construct RAID 0/1/0+1. In each mode, you can select booting from HD connecting to motherboard or RC-212 (if you want to install a new system from HD connecting to RC-212, you need a floppy drive to process the installation).

May have to buy a USB Floppy drive and connect that as well.

Newegg.com - BYTECC Black 1.44/1.25 MB 3.5" External USB Floppy Drive Model BT-144

Or for about $30 more, added to the list I made above, and minus the Drive controller card, and Floppy drive.

Add this: Newegg.com - Refurbished: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS-FR 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Grand Total: $663.93

Streamline and simplify the install process.

Its refurb, but still has a 90 day warranty on it.

Save a few bucks and get this Open Box Free Shipping Mobo instead (minus the PCI slot, instead has 3 PCIe x1 slots)

Newegg.com - Open Box: MSI H61M-P23 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel H61 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

And grand total drops to

Grand Total: $658.93

Dropping the CPU to the i5 2400 would definitely be worth it, to save the $30. Your probably not going to lose much performance from the cost cutting either.

Grand Total: $638.93 with the 2400 instead, about 3 bucks more than your initial list with the, not counting the monitor.

Keep in mind it includes a Refurb 250GB SATA HDD as well.

If you get the 6870 from Amazon for free shipping, you can save a good $15-17 more.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Ultimate Member
    Newegg.com - Open Box: Acer S211HLbd 21.5'' 5ms LED-Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design 250 cd/m2 12,000,000:1 (ACM)

here's a good deal ,good price,free shipping and tons better

you need to buy a better power supply [ more amps on the 12v rail ] [38A or better]

dont use your old drive ,it will slow the system down

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda ST320DM000 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

now its up to SHY

Thanks to both of you for your help. I must have skimmed newegg a hell of a lot to have missed these deals.

I think I want to err on this motherboard:
    Newegg.com - ASRock H61M/U3S3 LGA 1155 Intel H61 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
    Primarily because of the USB 3.0 capabilities. That's a big factor for me.

EDIT: after going through the reviews, it looks pretty dicey in my opinion. Some love it, some hate it...having to go about this jigsaw puzzle of purchasing I would love to make sure that once my components come together I don't need to worry about everything going to hell.
    About paying so much for an H67 when I could purchase a Z68 - well, buying a Z68 is a little moot for me, since I am planning on getting the i5 2400, which doesn't overclock.

On your advice, I'll stick with the i 52400. I guess what I was mostly worried about was FPS - in that circumstance, do you still think the difference is negligible? On Amazon, the price difference right now is $20

I suppose instead of having to go through all the trouble of supporting an old HDD Card that, as was pointed out, will slow my computer down, I'll take advantage of that $50 HDD
    Newegg.com - Refurbished: Western Digital Caviar Blue WD2500AAJS-FR 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

And the cheaper RAM is certainly good to see.
    Newegg.com - Team Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Desktop Memory Model TED38192M1333HC9DC

Concerning the PSU, I think I will stick with my initial item:
    Amazon.com: Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus Series 500W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US): Electronics
    It has 500W and after a rebate it's only $30.

Also to the second poster, thank you for showing me that Acer. I will certainly choose that over the emachine.

EDIT: Also, would you recommend this super cheap DVD Drive?
    Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model TS-H353C - CD / DVD Drives
    It's SATA so I assume the motherboard can handle it.
    Not that DVD drives are that important of a factor in gaming, right?
    Last edited by Dknierim; February 28th, 2012 at 09:05 PM.

wrong, the i5 2400 DOES overclock.

What it doesn't have is Unlocked clock Multipliers for EASIER and Additional overclocking options, which is what the "K" Variants have, same as AMD's Black Edition CPU's.

But they DO overclock.

the H61/67 chipset's don't have any overclocking options.

As to the PSU, its 500W, but it only puts out as much Amps on the +12V Rail as a good 400W does.

that CM only does 30A on the +12V (360W combined +12V Output), the Corsair has a single 12V and does 28A.

My Antec Neo Eco 400W does 30A on the +12V, and my Neo Eco 520W puts out 40A on the 12V.

The CM PSU is still a good one, but for the price, the Corsair is cheaper, and you only lose 2A on the 12V.

most systems these days mainly use the 12V Rail anyways, and only draws from the 3.3 and 5V as needed.

The GPU exclusively only uses the 12v as well.

a Radeon 6870 only consumes about 151W of 12v Power, leaving 185W of power from the 12v for the rest of the system, not factoring tapping into the other 2 rails as needed.

thats with the Corsair PSU.

$8 less at check out, add in Mail In rebate, and its $16.99 ($20 Mail In Rebate)

as to the DVD Drive... no, but I'd consider this Pioneer DVD Burner for the price.

Newegg.com - Pioneer CD/DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R Black SATA Model DVR-219BK - CD / DVD Burners

You'd end up spending the same amount, but at least you get a DVD Burner function for your money.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

Ohh, that rebate option just came to my attention. that is good to know...

Also - how high would you rate overclocking? If I wanted to play a new MMO like FFXIV or SWOR?

Thanks again for your further help, by the way.

Overclocking is only something to consider when you need it, but its nice to have the option down the road if you think you might need it, rather than not having it, and then having to buy a bunch of parts to make it happen.

to be honest, the 2400 should be plenty for those games, as it is, Intel's CPU's are much more powerful in gaming than AMD's.

Take for example, the lowly Pentium G860, which if I remember right runs at about 3GHz, and is a dual core, a step below the normal Core i3 dual cores, costs about $100, and bests almost All the AMD Quad cores, with exception of a couple of the really high end models, which only trail it by a small margin anyways.

Only CPU's in AMD's stables that really beat it, are the FX 8 core, and and the prior gen X6 Six core's (higher end clock speed models).

and most of those cost nearly twice as much as the G860.

now we move on up to a Core i5 2400, which is more than double that CPU's performance and specs.

But if the games only use one or two CPU cores, its not going to matter much. Most games only use one or two cores, some are able to use 4, and I don't know of any that use 6 or 8.

So the higher the clock speed the better.

But overall, as for OCing, I haven't had to OC any of my CPU's in probably 5 or 6 years, as they've all been fast enough for my gaming with each of my systems.

my newer current system, will be the first time OCing in that many years, since I have a game that really needs a faster CPU to run better online. the newer CPU is about 300MHz faster than my current one, but I should be able to overclock the CPU to a good 800-1000MHz faster than my current one, which should make for a noticeable difference in game play.

Thank you very much for your assistance. I feel much better about this whole "build a computer" fiasco! It's hard work and takes a lot of patience - but in the end it looks like I'll be saving about $300 at LEAST. And being a poor college student that's a big deal

Kudos to you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by jake98 View Post
    As to the PSU, its 500W, but it only puts out as much Amps on the +12V Rail as a good 400W does.

that CM only does 30A on the +12V (360W combined +12V Output), the Corsair has a single 12V and does 28A.
    Nice try Douche bag, but you copy & pasted the wrong member with the hidden URL link in your posting.

Spammer Reported

[He who is Nude..] Nude_Lewd_Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    Nice try Douche bag, but you copy & pasted the wrong member with the hidden URL link in your posting.

Spammer Reported
    Both SPAM posts decimated...
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...
    Whenever someone says "You can't miss it", I invariably do...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

there was 2? was it another one, or the same dude?

Quote Originally Posted by ShyguyXPC View Post
    there was 2? was it another one, or the same dude?
    Thought you would've know that one - you reported them both...!
    I've seen the light... It was green, flashy and attached to a Network Interface Card...

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!IE Team111 FAQs TEAM STATS Apps

I reported the one in this thread, and another in another thread, unless that 2nd one also spammed this thread.... Unless you meant you got this one and the one in the other thread.

"Both SPAM posts decimated..." posted in this thread, I thought you meant they both were in this one.

This one didn't get away from me, they could of waited till I was offline, but was on when I was on, I thought it was a reply to the thread, so took a look.

And then thought... "wait a minute, I recognize the way that is typed out, its just like what I said" as if to recognize ones own handwriting, the way it was typed out.

And sure enough I clicked Quote button and the hidden URL link was shown.

I'm still trying to understand WHY the stupid Hidden URL link thing... since it doesn't even show up in a posting, Why even bother adding it? Hell you can't even Highlight it in their posts, like with the rash of Spammers from a couple years ago, using White Text to hide their links in the background.

Your link was to two posts in this thread....

Anyway, you know how to get hold of me - in case I'm not active at the time and it's the sort of time that I normally would be here (online and at work) to get some traction....

thats odd, when I reported that "Douche bag" earlier theirs was the only post in here at the time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What is the color of the sky?

Thread Information