+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Win 8 preview

Super Stealthy Moderator RicheemxX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Anyone Testing The Windows 8 Consumer Preview?

Microsoft released the beta/prebeta Windows 8 Consumer Preview today. ust wondering if anyone is testing it out and if so what yall think. I don't have an extra drive to install it to right now and don't really want to move things around on this one just to test it but I might have to to see if its going to be any good.

If anyone wants to grab it you can get your copy from here Windows 8 Consumer Preview
    Be a Liberal, blame everyone else!!

Ultimate Member
    yep,gave it a try

installing was easy but but for some reason MS wont except any passwords
    for my emails

all i can say really i will be sticking with Vista and Win 7

PC Upgrade Procrastinator ShyguyXPC's Avatar
    so does that link for the 5MB Setup file, overwrite your existing Win7 install, to Win8 beta or does it install alongside win7?
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

TechIMO Folding@home Team #111 - Crunching for the cure!

Blog Entries
    Hmm guess I didn't notice a setup file? I'd try the iso Windows 8 Consumer Preview ISO formats

guess I've got a spare partition on here I forgot about so I'm going to give it a shot. Might regret it afterwards but we'll see how it goes

Looks like the Setup includes tools that allow you to create a DVD or USB flash drive from an ISO file (Windows Vista or Windows 7 required). The initial setup scans your system for compatibility then recommends the best option 32 or 64 bit. Then downloads the files and you can do whatever. So I guess you'd be safe installing it and then downloading whatever you needed.

I'm going to try it in VM first, even though MS says full install. Then I'll give dual booting a go.
    Last edited by RicheemxX; February 29th, 2012 at 06:43 PM.

yeah the first link you listed has a Get it Now button, goes to a page and then the download does a 5MB Setup file.

the 2nd link you listed has the ISO's for some reason I couldn't find that page from the 1st page.

I have to laugh at the Requirements page for Win8 though...

"To access Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768"

Ya Think? Consider I'm viewing that From a Web Browser and about to download the ISO file...

sucks, I only have an 8GB flash drive, so can't do a USB install of the OS, since it needs 16GB or more.

may install it on the one system in the basement that had Win7 installed on it, give it a try, partition the 500GB Drive for a spare and install to that.
    i7 940//Corsair H60//EVGA X58 SLI LE//6GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz//2x EVGA GTX 560 Ti FPB SLI//NZXT Hale82 850W//CM 690 II Advanced//Win7 64//WD 74GB V-raptor, 750GB Black, 1.5TB Green

I was messing around with the developer preview, which might of been slightly different, but probably not much.

I only dabbled and made a thread about it on the XPC forum. As for function. It worked fairly decent. I didn't need drivers for my Cisco wireless card since it had them already. Otherwise.. I just didnt like the start screen.

this 3.3GB download is taking forever, think I'll just cancel it and wait for a few days before downloading again.

Blog Entries
    The download didn't seem to take too long for me. I was away from the computer a bit so that might have helped.

Even though MS doesn't recommend using a VM I wanted to try it out. They said it was because of the VM not supporting the correct resolutions. Well hell I can't get it to install at all. I get an endless boot loop in VMware saying something about unattended serial file blah blah and nothing but errors in VirtualBox. I've tried a ton of settings changes and still nothing. Guess I'll try a dual boot and see what we get.

I couldn't get it to work in VirtualBox either, but I was trying the 64 bit Developer preview though and maybe 32bit works right.

I have extra systems like my old abit an8-sli with 2gb ram, and with a 4400+ x2 cpu. It worked fine fresh installing on a maxtor 40gb hard-drive.

Blog Entries
    Actually finally got it working in VMWare Player. VirtualBox still doesn't want to work bu some of it could be my system. I've got a quick hot to going if you want to try it (linkage). I ran into some networking issues I'm trying to fix right now.

Blog Entries
    Well dual booting led to a fiasco. W8 totally overwrites everything and didn't add the option to boot to W7. There isn't an option in the repair section either. I think I've got it fixed now but dang I thought they'd make that a bit easier.

well that settles it... installing on a separate dedicated PC if I can then.

Blog Entries
    I'm testing a different fix to see if I can get it working a little easier. The entire interface is a bit odd so it took a little searching around to find some of the settings and options I wanted to change.

this is how the start menu was in Developer preview.

Now I see it has settings in the screenshot, like logoff, shutdown etc now..

Downloads and whatever were showing a cool graph (hoping that stayed), and the folder menus are more like the office07 menus (or at least they were in developer).

I guess I'll download the new beta.. lol see if its slightly better. My gripe with developer was the giant start menu, that hides the desktop at first, and it was green. To turn the computer off either I'd hit the off button or wiggle the mouse over the start box in the taskbar on the desktop to get a menu that has settings with "off" on it.
    Last edited by Carld; March 1st, 2012 at 10:09 AM.

Goverment property now GroundZero3's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ill wait till it can run in Vmware

downloading only took maybe 30 minutes..

(I have extra computers, and hoard, never usually sell off any)

Started up the installation, and noticed a little fish on the screen instead of the "vista" loading windows bar.

ok .. so the back round is customizable.. to whatever color you want!!!!

I got it up and running.

backround is bubbles, fish.. as the theme.. start is customizable in color, or really the login screen color can be. It's better than green.

Well other than thinking it's lame to move the mouse down to the right corner than up to see this.

It's working alright.

other than hating clear type and finding corners to get to anything not short-cutted.

With the 295.62 drivers:

Doom95.. doesn't work.. even after adding dplay.dll. It just gives a box "cannot find video card."

Deus Ex (the original) is real dark for some reason.

Quake 3 arena, works fine.

Halflife 2 through steam is fine

I didn't try newer games, like WoW or other "new" games since the GT 440 really can't work that great with them anyway.
    Last edited by Carld; March 2nd, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

If you are already a member, please login above.

What planet do we live on?

Thread Information